Is it worth clearing your credential (live out of state)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Aug 12, 2019

I used to teach in California and have my preliminary. I don't live there any longer. Is it worth clearing my credential and maintaining to keep it? Or should I let it expire? In the off chance I move back there someday, I would have to start the process all over again.
    What would you do?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2019

Keep it! :) I returned 1x to a state I never thought I'd end up in again. I had to take classes and tests to recertify in that state. It took over a yr. I wish I never would have let it lapse! :)

bella84, Pisces and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 12, 2019

You can’t renew your Preliminary credential. If you let it lapse, you will be in deep doo-doo.

https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl494.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Note: You can file an appeal after your Preliminary expires to ask for a one-time extension, but you could be denied if you were employed at a public school and never got around to clearing your credential. It has to be for some extenuating circumstance such as your being unable to find employment in the five-year window as a teacher at an accredited private or public school.

I got mine cleared and so should you unless you are 100% certain that you will never return to CA to teach. Why would you not do so for yours? You might move back one day, so why risk it? My recommendation is to complete Induction (I successfully applied for the Early Completion Option and completed Induction in one year as opposed to two years because I was deemed a highly effective educator by all of my admin and local public district office)!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 12, 2019

Are you currently teaching? It sounds like you have already moved out of California. It might be difficult to clear if you are out of state.

6. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Aug 12, 2019

Yes, I am currently teaching. I don't live in California any longer.
    Here are the requirements that CTC says I need to complete in order to clear my credential:

RC The holder must satisfy the Basic Skills Requirement within one year of the issuance date of this document in order to be eligible to continue teaching.
    REL The holder must earn a California English learner authorization.

I don't need to complete induction because I moved to California as an experienced educator when I applied for the preliminary. According to the CTC, I have until 2022 to clear my credential (when my preliminary is set to expire.)

Since those are the two things I need to do to clear my credential, I am wondering if it's worth it. There is a Pearson testing site near me where I can complete the requirements but it's expensive.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2019

Pisces, it would make sense for you to clear the California credential if EITHER you think you might ever return to California to teach OR you're likelier to be employable elsewhere with a clear California credential than with either the expired preliminary or whatever teacher license you held previously.

If the job market in your destination state is tight and/or the California credential dazzles onlookers, clearing it would be a good investment. The basic skills requirement is the (relatively) easy part, especially if you've ever scored decently on SAT or ACT or ETS's ELM/EPT college placement exam battery. For the English learner authorization, CTEL is likely to be the cheapest option and the most flexible (well, aside from the testing windows) - and if you can resist the temptation (which, I recognize, is strong) to approach the preparation as just another stupid test to take and forget, you're likely to find that it adds some tools to your teacherly toolkit that can help you reach many, many students in addition to the English learners. I can suggest a good resource for CTEL, if you like, and you might also want to check out the discussions of CTEL in the Other Tests subforum under Examinations for Teachers.

Pisces likes this.
  8. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Aug 12, 2019

@TeacherGroupie Thanks for this information.
    I would LOVE any and all resources for the CTEL. I paid the fee and am thinking of registering for an early November date (which is available at my local testing site.)
    I am very skeptical of "Mometrix" as they are rated F by the BBB. Their reviews are shoddy. Do you know of any good, solid CTEL study resources? I will look in the "Other Tests" subforum too.
    Thanks!
    P.S. We used to live in the Bay Area (East Bay) and since my spouse works in tech, we are thinking about returning.
    P.P.S. I ordered my SAT score from the College Board and have that ready to submit.

9. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Aug 12, 2019

I just purchased the 4th edition of Diaz-Rico & Weed's The Crosscultural Language and Academic Development Handbook. I understand that Diaz-Rico was part of writing the CTEL components.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2019

The Diaz-Rico & Weed was exactly what I had been going to suggest.

It's also wise to have a look at the ELA/ELD Framework, which you can download for free from https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/cr/cf/allfwks.asp, and to look for other resources on English language development from the cde.ca.gov website.

Pisces and futuremathsprof like this.
  11. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you!
    Are there any study guides that you recommend or should I just use the resources that you suggested?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2019

The materials on the official CTEL prep page under ctcexams.nesinc.com will give you a sense of the structure and coverage of each subtest, and they're free. Expect surprises, however: limiting one's attention to the sample questions sets on a test's official page is a recipe for disaster.

Pisces and futuremathsprof like this.