is it weird to take a job knowing you will only be there for 1 year?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by ny_ela_teacher, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ny_ela_teacher

ny_ela_teacher New Member

Aug 7, 2006

hello all,

I am a newly certified teacher who just got hired in a charter school near Albany, and I am the normal combination of nervous, excited, etc.

One thing I feel sort of strange about is that I have been planning on moving out of the Albany area after this upcoming school year, as my fiance will be attending grad school next fall (2007) and we dearly wish to live in the place we are planning on going to...

I had planned on just subbing here for a year, but then this job offer came unexpectedly, and it seems to make more sense (career and money wise) to teach at the charter for a year, do a great job, then move on next year to where we really want to go (which is where we want to settle down long-term)..

I guess my question is, should I feel weird about doing this? It isn't like there was ever any discussion of how long I would be there or anything.

I had to take a break from planning, and I figured this would be a good place to ask!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2006

I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

They're looking for a teacher for this year; schools tend to operate one year at a time anyway. And if you can get a year of experience under your belt, along with some good recomendations, all the better for you!

Once you decide where you're planning to live for the following school year, you can let them know that you'll probably be resigning at the end of the school year. As long as you give decent notice, they won't have a problem with it at all.

How wonderful that you were able to find a job in this incredibly tight market! What will you be teaching?

Good luck!!

4. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Aug 7, 2006

I'm doing the same thing (if I get a job)

depending on a position. If I end up in a lessthan desirab;le place (since its getting crunched and ill take almost anything at this point), I'm planning on moving to a different school the next year.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 7, 2006

I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
    I have an interview at a very small private school tomorrow morning and if I am offered a position there I plan on only being there for this school year and then trying to get into the public schools again next year.

6. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

I think that's fine! (Better than finding out you'll only be there a year after that year ends!)

Good luck!

7. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I don't think so...If I don't get a job at the school I want, I will work somewhere for a year to get a year under my belt.

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

There's nothing wrong with it. I know a lot of teachers that plan on staying in the first positions for a year or two and then move on.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

Nothing wrong with it at all. Everyone wants to move on to bigger and better things. As long as you do the best you can at the job your'e at that is all that matters.

10. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Aug 7, 2006

I agree with all the previous posts. Most of the time in our profession many things come up and people transfer for whatever reason. I think you should go for it. Who knows what the future holds for any of us.

11. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

Congrats on the job!
    As far as working for one year then leaving, don't feel bad. You will be going to your new job with a year's experience. That has to be good. Do a great job then when it comes time for the next school to call this school for a reference, they will hear how wonderful you are and how much they would be sorry to see you go!

12. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 7, 2006

I agree with Ann2006.....it's a part of life. I only worked at my first school for 2 years. At the end of the second year I got married and moved to another state.