Is it up to the principal or School Board

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tripletsteacher, Apr 18, 2009.

1. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Apr 18, 2009

Hi all,
    I am currently a reading teacher at my school. Last year I took what I could get and took this half time position in order to get a foot in the door. Two weeks after hiring me the school decided to pay National Louis tuition to have me Reading Recovery trained. I agreed but let them know up front that my goal was to get in the classroom and not stay a reading teacher. On April 1st I interviewed right along with all the outside candidates for a K 1 or 2 position at my school. There were 11 other people who interviewed. Right before my interview he scheduled a meeting with me to offer me full time in my current position next year. I told him my goal was to get in the classroom ,and I still wanted to interview for the K 1 and 2 job. It was awkward because these were my colleagues I was interviewing with. The interview went very well-actually it was excellent. I answered the questions perfectly-so I think! My principal told me I would not know until the end of April. The board meeting is scheduled for the last Tuesday in April. Does he have to get permission from them to take me out of my current position and put me in a classroom or is it completely up to him? I have had to go to work everyday not knowing where I stand for next year until I hear about this. What is the hold up? Why wait until the end of the month? I know I have a job next year. Our riffing period is passed. Out of the three positions I know a student teacher of ours from last year is getting one of them. Our Super told her she would pretty much have to bomb the interview not to get one of the jobs. That leaves two openings. Any thoughts on why the decision is taking so long? His last comment to me after the interview was--I will not be able to tell you until the end of the month but that would still give you four months to plan. Was he saying yes? Thanks for any feedback! Hopefully I will find out this week. I know it is a dilemma for them because it would leave my current hard to fill position open.

3. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 18, 2009

I have no idea how this works, but I wish you the best of luck!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2009

Usually, the principal chooses who they want work with and sends their name to the board for approval. Good luck!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2009

I have no idea exactly how things work in your school. Though I'm pretty sure they can't force you to teach something you would prefer not to teach.

But in this economic climate, there are lots and lots of certified experienced teachers looking for jobs. This may not be the year to be picky. It's entirely possible that the holdup is that they're trying to figure out staffing for next year, and to determine whether any internal transfers could be done to avoid laying someone off.

6. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Apr 18, 2009

Thanks! We have our staffing figured out pretty much. We are a small K-8 school that is splitting next year K-4 and 5-8 at the new school. We riffed two teachers who had negative evaluations. Last summer I had been talking back and forth with my current principal about a possible 4th grade. Someone inside took that. He hired me instead for this reading position. I am certified K-8 and in May will have my Reading Recovery certificate. I am just unsure why he is waiting sooooo long to decide. I wonder if he let any of the other candidates know since it has been over 3 weeks now. Hopefully, I will find out next week. He said I did a good job in the interview and told me I really needed to sell myself in the interview prior to interviewing. That was the only feedback I have had since April 1st. Our contract changed this year to allow the principal to decide whether or not to let internal candidates have first choice at open positions. We get to apply first but are not guranteeed the job. This is good news for those of you looking! Maybe other districts are starting to look outside as well as inside at the same time. The old contract pretty much guranteed someone on the inside getting the job.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2009

In my district the principal makes the decision and the school board pretty much goes along with it. I have no idea why he wouldn't he able to tell you. Maybe you can read over you union agreement for more info, or just ask him.

8. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Apr 18, 2009

In my district, the principal makes the decision on who to hire, recommends it to the Board during the monthly meeting, and the Board approves the hire. I have never heard of a time when the Board rejected the principal's recommendation. However, I'm not sure if the principals tell the candidates they are hired before or after the Board meeting. Does your principle normally keep information to himself? Could this just be the way he operates?

9. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Apr 19, 2009

Nothing worse than not knowing. Hope it works out for you. I assume your spot would be one of the harder spots to fill and they probaby don't want to lose you in that spot. Good luck.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2009

I think it differs in may districts. In my district, it used to be that the P chose the person for the job and meeting with the Super was a formalily. Well, a new asst. super came in since I've been hired and now the Ps recommend 1-3 finalists and the asst super and one or two other administrators chose the final person. Then the name is sent on to the BOE for approval. Our BOE approval tends to just be a formaility. GL!!!!!