Is it unprofessional to wear a sleeveless dress?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 24, 2008

This is silly but here it goes. :blush:

Hi, our dress code doesn't say that a specified sleeve length is required. The school I worked at before this one had a very strict dresscode for teachers. (I had to wear collared shirts every day and mom rise slacks!) Needless to say we were not allowed to wear anything without sleeves. As crazy as that school was I would not be surprised if that was beyond the norm. The school I'm at now has teachers who do it all the time, but i'm still a scaredy cat and haven't gone sleeveless yet. Ok getting to my point....I bought a nice sheath dress that is very business like but it doesn't have any sleeves. Should I wear it? Or should I put a cardigan over it? I was thinking about wearing it to our Open House next week.

For those of you who aren't sure what a sheath dress looks like this is an example

http://www.amazon.com/Newport-News-Sheath-Dress/dp/B0014W0GEI

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2008

There's no technical rule for this or anything, as far as I know, but I generally consider sleeveless shirts/dresses appropriate as long as whatever "sleeve" there is is at least 3 fingers wide, i.e. no spaghetti straps or anything.

I say wear the dress and bring a cardigan along just in case you decide that you'd feel more comfortable with it on.

4. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

I would say wear it as long as it isn't spaghetti straps. From the sound of it, it probably isn't.
    I would bring a sweater with...just in case you get cold or feel uncomfortable! I think you will be just fine! :)

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 24, 2008

I would wear it but bring your cardigan to wear when you are outside of your classroom.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 24, 2008

I've never heard of that "3 finger rule," but that sounds very appropriate

7. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Julie, I think the dress is fine! Go for it, but if I were feeling the way you do, I would probably bring my cardigan just for security.

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

ROFL! :lol: What did they do? Ask you to lift up your shirt to check to see if your pants were high enough? :toofunny: That sounds a bit too much. :) Good thing I usually wear the long styled shirts. :p

Ummm, now about those sleeveless shirts and dresses. I'd say go ahead and wear it, but bring along a light cardigan just in case. The straps on it are very wide, so I wouldn't have a problem with it. Some schools do not allow sleeveless clothing of any type; however, if there is nothing in the rules about it, I say go for it. You're not taking it to the extreme and wearing spaghetti straps. That would be inappropriate. Since it's hot in Georgia right now, no one would fault you for it.

P.S. If you don't want to wear the cardigan, you could drape it across your back and tie the sleeves together in the front across your shoulders. :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2008

My principal rocks this look!! She has an uncanny knack for the draping and knotting, though, which I have yet to master- any tips on the draping/knotting?

10. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Ditto with all the above. Wear it and bring a light sweater just in case.

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 24, 2008

It sure seemed like it! I think it was the result of an AP comming into a classroom of a young teacher and seeing backside cleavage while she was writing on the whiteboard. :lol: A school wide email went out that day about wearing slacks at the waist and reminding everyone to adhere to the dress code.

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

Go for it girl! Most of my wardrobe is sleeveless. Even in January our school is so hot...I have the windows open with snow blowing in and I'm wearing my sleeveless tops!

I always opt for the cardigan and by 10AM I'm sleeveless and the cardigan is on my chair! I LOVE that dress. So cute. I can't wait to lose the rest of my baby weight so I can wear my cute dresses like that!:)

13. shalini35

shalini35 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

It sounds perfectly fine, but just as everybody has already mentioned - bring a sweater to wear just in case you feel uncomfortable..

14. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

I love the dress! I think that it looks very professional and appropriate for school. As already mentioned, I would bring a cardigan just in case someone says something to you about the dress.

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2008

I absolutely say wear it! I wish I could go sleeveless, but my arms wave back when I wave :eek:

Our school is pretty laidback and we're allowed to wear jeans on Fridays. If a teacher wore jeans on one of the other days a comment may be made like a joke, but nothing was ever done about it. My point is even if someone objected (which I don't think they would), it's not going to be a big deal.

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

I would just make sure the underarms of it doesn't expose anything... :) I've seen bras and more exposed from the underarm of a wide sleeveless top. :)

17. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I think it looks great! I would totally wear it, infact I have before!

18. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

I think it looks great as look as your bra isn't exposed under your arms. I have the wavy arm problem, too, but I still wear sleeveless especially when it's hot.