Is it too young to...?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2007

Is it too young to draw a diagram of what a desk should look like on poster board for fourth graders? I am seriously considering it because I really have the desire for my students to become responsible this year. :haha:

3. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

When I taught 1st grade and had desks, I took pictures of what I expected in a desk, what it should look like...

I printed them, modeled how to do it and hung them up.

It seemed to help the kids that need a guide.

But, there are always kids, I was one, who just don't care if it is organized... :)

Kelly :)

4. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I certainly don't think that fourth grade is too young to expect them to keep their desks organized. Responsibility is a huge thing that all of us should be teaching. If you think a diagram will help them reach that goal then I say GO FOR IT! I think pictures would be a great idea too. It definitely would give them a clear idea of what you expect.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

I'd thought about doing that too ... I like the idea of taking a picture better though, because I wasn't sure how I was going to draw a desk diagram. I'll have to try taking a picture.

6. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I don't think it's too young at all! I saw one on Ms. Powell's website once and I wanted to do it for my room, but I'm not an artist and I couldn't find someone to draw it for me. I like the idea of taking a picture, I might do that this year. :up:

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I think Ms. Powell was the teacher I got the idea from, and she teaches third! :) True, true. I may do a variety of photos and diagrams to get the students to see great examples.

8. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Last year I expected my students to keep a neat desk and if it was not I emptied their desk and put it all in there chair after school. It forced them to clean it the following morning. For the most part I only had to do this a few times and they learned.