Is it too late to give my resignation? Our break starts on Dec. 20

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EdiLu, Dec 8, 2019.

1. EdiLu

EdiLu New Member

Dec 8, 2019

Is it too late to give my resignation tomorrow? Our break starts on Dec. 20 (two weeks from last Friday) and I don't want to go back next semester. No one knows that I have been contemplating this and I want to leave on good terms. It's just too stressful, I'm always exhausted.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 8, 2019

That all depends on what you contract says. Most contracts don't allow for leaving early at all, and most, if they do, require way more than 2 weeks notice. Some require you to work until a qualified replacement is found, and some require you to pay a monetary fee (usually around $1,000 to $2,000) to cover the cost to advertise your position and replace you.

If you don't plan on ever teaching again, it is no problem, but if you do, then you want to get released from your contract and leave on good terms. Could you ask your doctor for a letter stating that medically you cannot continue teaching right now due to stress and anxiety? If you had that, they'd have to let you out of your contract.

Otherwise, you are contractually obligated to complete your contract, and if you choose not to do this, they can put a one-year hold on your teaching credential, go after monetary damages, and/or give you an unacceptable reference. If you leave without being released, you also have to check the "have you ever broken a teaching contract" box on future applications in other districts.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 8, 2019

I agree with RainStorm. Her post was chock full of great advice.

5. EdiLu

EdiLu New Member

Dec 9, 2019

Thank you! I just emailed HR and asked for a copy of my contract.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 9, 2019

It depends where you work and what the contract states, as has been mentioned. When I worked at a charter, we only had to give the standard two weeks notice. So I resigned in December and did not return in January. It didn’t matter when the break was... The two weeks were calendar weeks, not school days.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2019

That's what I was thinking, too. If it is a charter, you are basically an at will employee, so that short notice would be acceptable. Public school is usually a different matter.