Is it too early to be exhausted?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jen12, Oct 15, 2014.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 15, 2014

Is it too early in the school year to need a nap? Between working and running all over town after school for BTSA trainings, mentor meetings and district BTSA meetings, I'm knackered!:dizzy: October actually involves going to work every day! Go figure. In November, we've got inservice days, conferences, Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving. That works out to at least one student-free day or holiday per week. Can't complain, but it would be nice if November shared the love with October! On the other hand, I can't deny that I'm thrilled to have the job I've got, even if BTSA adds an interesting dimension in the time-space continuum.

3. tcfullersoccer

tcfullersoccer Rookie

Oct 15, 2014

If I'm exhausted because I've been teaching well and working well with the kids, then that's OK and I feel good about it.

If I was exhausted because of all the garbage you're doing that has little to nothing to do with teaching, I'd be dejected and mad because I'm exhausted for all the wrong reasons.

Hang in there!

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Oct 15, 2014

I am generally more exhausted in the early part of the school year than later on, so perhaps you will find you feel a little more energetic in a month or so.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2014

I've been reminded several times this year about the curve of how a teacher (especially new teacher) feels throughout their year, starting high in September, slowly dipping until Jan/Feb, then slowly working its way back up. I'm definitely exhausted, still pulling ridiculous days, but can see that some areas are becoming at least a bit easier and quicker as I become more familiar with them. So, to answer your question: No.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 15, 2014

If it makes you feel any better, I have no days without students until Thansgiving!!!! We have three days of conferences or required events until 8 pm the week of Halloween. Take your naps when you can. :)

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 21, 2014

BTSA is a charade as far as I'm concerned. I do realize there is value in the practice. What dumbfounds me, is the added pressure that they seem to think "Beginning Teachers" don't already have enough of. It is an annoyance and a nuisance.

8. melnm

melnm Companion

Oct 21, 2014

I am exhausted everyday myself! I can hardly keep my eyes open once my head hits the pillow at night. So much for getting in much reading for me!

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 23, 2014

I'm not exhausted per say ~ but I feel like I'm swimming against the water current and as hard as I'm trying to work, there's always MORE to do. This is my 7th year teaching, but I'm wondering about maybe switching schools or maybe doing something different- hopefully within education. I just don't know what and I feel "safer" staying where I am, even if I'm not 100% happy with it.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2014

I feel you! This year has been so much worse than last year it seems. I come home tired every day and more to do the next day.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2014

I might be the only one in this category, but I am exhausted on a daily basis. I also nap every afternoon to recharge my batteries. I cannot function without my naps. During vacations, when I am not teaching and not waking up at 5, I do not need naps but every day I teach, I most certainly need one. I am DRAINED at the end of the day.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2014

Exhausted!

But I just went back and checked my time off... turns out I take a personal day every October, so I guess it's just this time of year! Not this year, though - I had a three day inservice at the beginning of the month and I'm in no hurry to do sub plans again.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a three day weekend.

13. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Oct 26, 2014

I've been very tired this year. No days off until Thanksgiving. There is always more and more to do!

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2014

I just spent the entire weekend packing, moving with a uhaul, unpacking into a storage unit, then deep cleaning, including about 5-6 hours of driving. Today will be the hardest day of the week...I think I will actually become more rested as the week goes on!

15. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2014

Everyone at our school is not only exhausted, but many are burnt out. Our admin is great, but the district is killing us. No fall break around here--just maybe some break-downs!

16. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Oct 28, 2014

I am very tired. I can't wait till Thanksgiving break. I work two jobs and my baby has decided to stop sleeping through the night. I also was moved to high school 2 days before school started this year and I am still cleaning after the lady that left. She had worked in my room for over 15 years and I don't believe she threw a single thing away during this time. I have now discovered that the way I have my classroom setup is not working for me and I am on the fence about moving it around since school started almost 3 months ago. I am almost to the point that it will have to stay this way for now and be moved during the summer.

I will say one thing that has made me very tired is moving from being a self contained sped teacher to an inclusion sped teacher. I have my own class that I teach and I also to tutor/reteach materiel from Biology, Algebra 1 and English everyday for my diploma students. I have become even more organized than I thought possible, and I have to figure out a way to become more organized next year.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 29, 2014

You are not alone TamiJ. I have had a difficult time crawling out of bed the past couple weeks, and I have been ready for a nap by 10:30 morning every day this week. This is about when "teacher tiredness" sets in for me. I'm already counting the days to Christmas break so I can sleep in!

18. ms.pekkle

ms.pekkle Rookie

Nov 2, 2014

It is too early, but I feel the same way. This is my second year teaching and I feel kinda the same from last year. Is this a sign that teaching isn't for me?

There are three things that I will do differently next year: not loop (ever), move from bilingual to regular ed, go to another school.

I tell myself that if I feel the same way I do now, then teaching isn't for me.

19. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Nov 3, 2014

I am with you! This year seems to be more exhausting than those previous. I couple that to all of the new state regulations including Common Core, new testing coming up, etc. There's a lot more paperwork and research to be done along with all of the regular responsibilities. I'm pooped already and the week is just about to begin!