Is it the teacher's place to comment on lunches?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TexanTeach, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2015

Parenting decisions are just that...parenting decisions. It's not up to you what other people's kids eat. As educators we should teach our mandated health curriculum. Modeling a healthy lifestyle is also to be commended as teachers can be influential role models. But dictating that no kid should be exposed to xyz food is over stepping. (didn't you used to give kids candy canes at holiday time when you were in a speech classroom:confused:.)

I'm not understanding your point of view...it's not a teachers job to influence kids food choices, yet if it was up to you, kids AND ADULTS would be restricted in their choices....:confused:

A kid eating a bag of chips at lunch doesn't mean a parent is being negligent or a kid isn't healthy. What if someone moderated how often one eats out at chain or fast food restaurants? Dictated how often and how rigorously one worked out? Oversaw grocery purchases? At some point this regulatory mentality over how others should be living their lives becomes an infringement on all of our freedoms to choose:2cents:.

2. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 3, 2015

I think this might be being up on Ms. I a little bit -- while she did make a statement that was a bit over general, she didn't actually say that she should be the food police. She said in a perfect world, unhealthy foods wouldn't exist.

It's just a fantasy to begin with, and Ms.I specifically disclaimed the role of food cop for teachers (including herself, presumably), so we don't need to treat her like she's advocating fascism or anything.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2015

Just trying to understand what seems to be opposing viewpoints from the same poster....:confused:

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 3, 2015

I hear you on random people trying to tell you how to run your life. But in response to you saying it is never your place to tell anyone what they should be doing... I guess we shouldn't try to help people who use alcohol and cigarettes too then. Why should food be any different? You're not being objective.

There are people who are too stupid or lazy. Sorry to say it so bluntly, but that is the truth. Look at McDonald's: Given what we know about fast food (McDonald's being a prime target), how can any reasonable, intelligent adult eat McDonald's without some level of reason or conscience. (BTW, I'm not strictly averse to eating crap, like fast-food. I'm not vegan or claim to have a great diet.)

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 3, 2015

It's still a personal choice. I smoke cigarettes. I know they're bad for me, but I still smoke them. Why? Because I want to. I would drink alcohol if I could, but I've had a liver transplant, so that's out of the question. I eat McDonalds probably once a week. Chinese food once or twice a week. Why? Because I want to. I know what I put into my body. I eat extremely healthily the rest of the time. I exercise those extra calories off. Not to sound full of myself, but I'm in shape. I go to the gym and I do vigorous strength training and HIIT.

You know what else? I used to be extremely overweight as a teenager. Now I've got arms for days AND I still eat Big Macs from McDonalds, medium BBQ chicken pizza from Dominos, General Tso's from the small family-owned Chinese place in town, etc. It's about moderation and making good choices to offset your less-than-good choices.

I'd be ****** if someone tried to tell me what I am and am not "allowed" to eat, drink, or smoke.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 3, 2015

:thumb:

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 3, 2015

You sound like you got a good, balanced system there. Except for the smoking. :p
    My point was in saying: at what point do we go and tell someone they're too fat or they're lazy? Because presumably, most people here would think they should help someone who is obviously (e.g.) drinking too much. We are too sensitive to fat people. And I'm not talking about "fat" the way you and I and most of us are. I'm talking about people who are excessively fat. Instead of trying to help them, we enable them by saying: "oh, some of us have slow metabolisms", "big is beautiful", etc. The majority of those people are fat NOT because of glandular issues. What we are talking about is responsibility. If you want to say we are regulating, legislating... we are legislating RESPONSIBILITY. But isn't that what the basis of any law is? Being a socially responsible adult.

Should we suppose that you are for legalizing drugs, prostitution, any thing that regulates our freedoms? After all, soliciting a prostitute affects no one but the parties involved.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2015

:dizzy:...strawman. :yawn:

9. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 3, 2015

We don't.

If a person chooses to be fat, that's their choice. If they choose to embrace their size, that's great. If they're comfortable enough in their own skin to promote "big is beautiful," that's great. Good for them for overcoming the stigma against overweight people in this society. It's extremely important to note that not all overweight people are unhealthy. If someone gets to the point where they're on that TV show "my 600 pound life" (or whatever it's called), then yeah, there's a huge problem, but it's not MY problem.

People are responsible for themselves.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 3, 2015

Thank you! I personally do not smoke. I don't like it when people smoke around me, and I don't allow it in my car or home. If I'm out at a place that allows smoking (rare) and someone lights up next to me, I get up and move. They don't need a lecture about it! That said, I tell my students not to smoke, because it is part of our health standards. But someone I don't know? Not my issue.

I personally don't eat red meat or pork, partially for health and partially because of the way the animals are treated. I try to only eat free-range, cruelty-free chickens, eggs, milk, etc. as much as possible. My bath products are all cruelty-free, vegan, etc. I don't accost random people in Kroger about buying cheap ground hamburger meat. That's what they want to eat. I will eat what I want to eat. The world will keep on turning.

Same with drinking alcohol, eating fried food, vaping, whatever. I have picked up an expression from a coworker of mine that is, "Not my circus, not my monkeys." That's how I feel about things. Unless someone's life is in immediate danger from their actions, let them do what they want!

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 3, 2015

Why would you think it's your place to "help" people who eat junk food, smoke, or drink alcohol? I have to say that I absolutely hate it when people comment to me on what I choose to eat.

My SIL once went on a tirade to me because I brought donuts to her house when we went there for dinner. She said she couldn't understand how I could let my kids eat desserts and then infect her house with it. She said this while holding a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. It's a few years later and her daughter is now very overweight, her son smokes, and my kids are still thin, healthy, and active.

Sorry to tell you, John Lee, by I have the occasional fast food meal. I'm not at all overweight and I have no known health problems. It's none of anyone's d**n business what I choose to eat or feed my kids.

I once blew up at someone who tried to police my diet. I was having a soda for lunch while I was pregnant and a co-worker actually picked it up off my desk and asked me if I knew how terrible I was being to my unborn child. I couldn't believe anyone could have that kind of nerve. I never forgave her for that.

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 3, 2015

I don't know why you are getting defensive about it. I never said there was anything wrong with the occasional fast food meal, or junk food. And I also bristle at people who try to preach to me about whatever.

But you do realize that not everyone is you? There are people who ARE fat, and need to mix in a salad into their diet, and exercise. That is my point.

It is NOT OK to be fat. And to reiterate because people love to project their comments onto themselves: I'm not talking about normal fat people, which is probably 90% of us including me. Nor am I talking about glandular imbalances that cause some to be fat. I'm talking fat people, who have no other reason to be fat other than they are lazy and eat bad. They need to realize that it is NOT OK. And lest you say, Why is it your business? It is the same reason we have laws for immigration, seatbelts, internet piracy. Why is that kind of stuff anyone else's business? Everything is everyone's business.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 3, 2015

I don't see it as opposing views. You can have a strong opinion about what SHOULD be done while realizing it isn't your place to influence others with that opinion.

I don't believe that people should have dogs unless they are going to be part of the family. But I recognize that it is wrong for me to take all of the dogs that live outside in pens away from families.

14. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 3, 2015

Wow, this thread is getting nasty.

John Lee -- even IF it were "not okay to be fat," it is definitely much worse to uniformly pass judgement on people and assume they are fat because they are "stupid and lazy."

I was fat for many years. Why was I fat? Because my parents were fat, because I lived in a town where everyone was fat and I didn't have access to a lot of vegetables since I lived in the middle of nowhere. We were not stupid and lazy -- it is quite easy to get fat in this country, even if you don't frequent McDonalds.

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 3, 2015

Exactly. You were made fat as a kid, because of your environment. The implication you are trying to make being: you may not have been fat if you were around people who were more enlightened when it comes to this particular subject. That's my point.

Take CA. Go to any beach, coast town in CA. You will not see an abundance of overweight folks. The reason is that the culture dictates it. Not saying people are "shamed", mocked or judged. But the people in those towns tend to be active, they tend to take care of themselves (diet). And people who might otherwise get fat, recognize that and get with the culture. Being fat isn't "accepted".

But in so many other areas, being fat is not only accepted, but embraced. They wear their size like a badge of honor or something. They openly brag about not exercising. Someone will post a picture of some plus-sized model who actually is big and beautiful (proportional), and legions of lumpy men and women chime in "aw yeah, that's me... more to love" or whatever. Well no, that's not you. And it really isn't OK to live like that.

The problem (the point of this thread... I think) is that we can't out-and-out tell people, "Lose some weight" or "that is terrible for you". WHICH I AGREE WITH. That sort of thing is annoying, presumptious, rude, hurtful, you name it. You can't say that to someone. THAT'S WHY there needs to be that impetus, that level of fat shame if you will, that drives people to pay more attention to their health.

It's too acceptable to be over fat these days IMO.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 3, 2015

I think this thread has run it's course. It has spiraled into personal attacks and snide comments. I know everyone is stressed now with testing and the end of the year approaching, but let's remember board policies on personal attacks. If anyone wants to start a productive thread on healthy eating or anything else from this thread, feel free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.