Is it the job market or is it me?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by elateacher4life, Aug 25, 2011.

1. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 25, 2011

I was laid off two years ago and have yet to land another job. I have taught English in a public school in southern CA for over 10 years. I was wondering if school districts are reluctant to hire a veteran teacher because of the higher pay, or if I am doing something wrong. I had my resume professionally critiqued, so I feel pretty good about that. However, I just don't get calls for interviews. Any suggestions???

3. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 25, 2011

I used to think it was the job market. Now I'm starting to think its just me...I've had 23, yes 23 interviews and no offers. In your case I don't think you being a veteran teacher matters. Have you been emailing your resume out to Ps?

4. jadepnai

jadepnai Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

Due to the budget and lots of job cuts, I know in my area school districts would rather hire a teacher with less than 5 years experience and without a master degree. Its sad to say but it is true. Teacher are already not paid enough for the quality of work they provide. My school district have offered veteran teachers with 10 years teaching experience an incentive in order to retire early. The school district can hire 2 teachers instead of one teacher who has 30 years teaching experience.

5. chalkachalka

chalkachalka Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

I agree with jadepnai. It's not you at all. It's the budget crisis. Yes, districts are absolutely reluctant to hire teachers with experience because they have to pay them more. Due to budget cuts, districts would rather hire newer teachers lower on the pay scale and without a master's degree stipend. I'm a veteran teacher too, and, I'm in the same boat as you.

6. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 25, 2011

but yet, I am a brand new teacher, and I didn't even get an interview. Around here they say they want experience.
    I think it's just me

7. highlow405

highlow405 Rookie

Aug 26, 2011

You have to be realistic about this. There are too many of US! Colleges are willing to pump out hundreds of education degrees when there is little demand. You are probably having a tough time finding a job due to a variety of factors. Schools can find an experienced, expert teacher with a ton of connections pretty easily now due to layoffs. On the flip side, schools can find a cheap, inexperienced teacher knowing they can fire him or her at the end of the year and still have a pool to choose from. It's just a rough period for all of us.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

I don't think it's you or the fact that your a veteran teacher. I think it has more to do with a variety of other factors: budget cuts, the saturation of the teaching market, what the principals are looking for. Good luck!

9. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 26, 2011

I've been searching for 3 years and have had about 12-15 interviews so I've been thinking the same thing. However, the majority of my interviews were 2 years ago when I had no experience (been working as a TA the past 2 years) and I was unfamiliar with interviewing - not getting those jobs was me; I wasn't ready. But now I think it's the economy. In my area tons of teachers lost their jobs and are competing for the same jobs I am. My last interview was the worst - 2 teachers with 20 yes experience each also interviewed. I got the rejection letter today. Hopefully the economy turns around because I know I interview better than I did and am ready to have my own class but I'm thankful to have a job where I can still be learning and be in the classroom.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 29, 2011

I sure hope the teaching job market gets better for you guys. It makes me so glad I switched gears to speech-language pathology.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 29, 2011

I think the market is just so insane right now that nobody knows the right thing to do. People like me can't even get interviews because we have no experience. Folks like you can't get them because you have experience that raises you a few pegs on the salary schedule. I really just think everyone is making it up as they go along. Sometimes I feel like I have as much chance of winning the lottery as I do of getting a contract. The only saving grace is that I can legitimately believe it's not just me. And it's not just you. This can't go on forever. At some point, they (the powerful "they" who make decisions) are going to realize there are students out there who deserve better than being crammed in a classroom with 35+ other students. I just don't know when that will be....I hope for all our sakes it's soon.

12. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 30, 2011

I don't have much experience right now, but I have a Master's degree, and I believe that this may be hindering me. I would take Bachelor's pay, shoot, even assistant's pay at this point! Good luck all.