is it something in the air?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by traeh, Apr 1, 2008.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Apr 1, 2008

I don't know if it's because April has arrived or what, but my kids seriously make me want to scream. Two more months.. oh my word. I really need to rein them in somehow and I'm feeling cooked right now.

3. horsecrazy1981

horsecrazy1981 Rookie

Apr 1, 2008

I feel the same way. Our principal doesn't like to discipline (he like the Love and Logic idea, lol), so our students have been lost for a while. Anyway, our team leader says "You gotta do what you gotta do." So therefore, we have started making our students write out the procedures that they arent following, or another sentence to fit the situation.

I still have several students that feel they can get away with anything, and try to. I can only do so much, and the principal isn't helping, parents don't seem to care because they just want their kids on medicine. ADHD is not the cause of their child's defiant, disrespectful, racist behavior, but most parents believe that medicine will solve their problems, no need to discipline.

Sorry to rant on your post, just saying I'm as frustrated as you.

4. traeh

traeh Companion

Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, we don't really have discipline at our school either. I mean, the principal is pretty much on his way out, so he's not about to impose a serious discipline policy that might regulate the students' behavior.

That's sad that at your school parents believe medicating their children is the answer to all discipline problems. I feel like that is the biggest cop out. I mean, I know there are kids that certainly have problems that require medical intervention; but not the majority.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2008

Wait until May. It gets worse!!

This is my first year in a classroom, but I subbed for years. I always wanted to take 4th quarter off!!

6. traeh

traeh Companion

Apr 1, 2008

oh awesome ..can't wait

7. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

It's just spring fever. I think everyone is just ready for a change and a break. But hey, at least we're closer to summer than we were on Christmas break ;). Even tho Im ready for summer to be here, I feel like time has flown by.

8. traeh

traeh Companion

Apr 1, 2008

Time has definitely flown. I can't believe December was 4 months ago. I am so ready for a long break though.

9. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 2, 2008

I think it is def something in the air- because I am feeling the same way. I am just ready for school to be over just like the kids! Mind you I am only talking about in my own college classes, not in the classes I sub in. But I sure can relate to the kids, because I feel the same way in college!

10. njtee

njtee Rookie

Apr 2, 2008

Wow--you all have expressed my sentiments exactly! I work at an urban school and while this year has been particularly enlightening, these past few weeks have been a bit scary. Fights are breaking out daily (3 just this afternoon) and it really seems impossible to teach anything. Not to mention all the children sent to alternative schools are trickling back just in time for state testing later this month.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 2, 2008

I reamed my kids today. They won't be quiet in the hallways, and I have to send them up the stairs by themselves (due to a student being in a wheel chair. We went into the room and I gave them a talking to about how I couldn't trust them to go up the stairs quietly. That was actually just my last nerve today. They've been horrible for the past 2 weeks.

12. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Apr 2, 2008

Hey, njtee, I see this is your first post ... Welcome!
    (from one newbie to another!)

Same at our school. We have kinder boys peeing on the bathroom wall, 4th grade girls being catty with each other, 4th grade boys throwing punches, and the rest of them just nuts.

I'm on the crisis team, so I get to deal with all of them.

Is it June yet?!!!

13. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Apr 2, 2008

I believe there literally IS something in the air, especially for teens...I think all those hormones ramp up with the longer days!

Oddly, my 8th grade, which has been better for me so far this year, is now getting out of hand. Meanwhile the 6th graders, who have been awful all along, seem to have come back from Spring Break ready to become 7th graders -- more mature and hardworking.

14. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Apr 2, 2008

I thought there was something wrong with me!!!

I am so glad that I read this post. I am a substitute teacher and I have had some really tough classes the past few weeks and I thought that maybe it was just the way I was doing something. But after coming here and seeing this post maybe there IS something in the air. I hate to say this but kids misbehaving for their regular classroom teacher really validates that I am not a totally horrible sub which I feel like some days!!

Mldouglas

15. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Apr 2, 2008

There is a syndrome called (in my mind anyway) class reversal. Whatever was your best class at the beginning of the year will now be your worst class and your worst will be your best! This is probably due to being extra tough on the bad class! Although, it hasn't worked for my seventh graders yet.
    This is the crazy time of the year. And new teachers be prepared for all the strange interuptions in May. My seniors actually get out almost two weeks earlier than everyone else! That would be okay if I didn't have seniors in some of my non senior classes (like Spanish 1). That means I have to have the finals done earlier for them. And then I have an advanced Spanish class that has one junior-so I have her for two weeks by herself! My 8th graders also graduate almost a week earlier-what's up with that? Then they will be pulled out for everything from awards ceremonies to assemblies to practice marching anything!
    So my answer for the month of May is projects, movies (and I mean educational ones!), independent work etc. Lecturing sage on the stage style gets very hard to do around May! Trust me on this- don't save your hardest lessons for May/June. It will not work! You want things that are student centered and high interest for them, if at possible.
    And then there is the end of the year checkout for teachers. Every school is different but they also seem to involve inventory (have students do it), book checks. labeling everything in your room with your room number so when it gets moved out into the hallway for cleaning they know where to put it back (also have students do this), and turning in keys, gradebooks etc.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 3, 2008

And weather doesn't help. We don't need to watch the weather channel to know what's going to happen. Just watch the kids.