Is it something I said?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by cinmcl61, Jun 16, 2005.

1. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

I have had a few interviews, which I am grateful for because I know those are hard to get. But I guess my answers are wrong. I can't get called back for the second interview. I answer the questions honestly (could that be the problem?)

I had one interview that required me to answer 4 essay questions before the interview. My mind was a blur - I knew what I wanted to say when I walked out the door.

In the interview I may be asked how do you work with the special ed teacher? My answer said we are a team with the best interests of the student yet it is my ultimate responsibility as the teacher to make sure that student is on task in my classroom. I would go tot he sped teacher for advice and ideas. (It was a little longer than that but you get the idea?

Any advice for the next interview - questions you may have been asked and answered? This is so frustrating

3. mrcbb80

mrcbb80 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

I have heard it is helpful to touch base with the people after you've had the interview. If you keep "pestering" them, chances are they are more likely to remember you and see that you are truly interested. That's the advice I was given by someone who works in Human Resources in a school district. Ask them if they have made a decision. If they have, ask them if they can give you any pointers or suggestions for your next interview. Good Luck!

4. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

Do you think its okay to ask then if they can give pointers or suggestions for next time? I guess I may be uncomfortable to ask that - or maybe even afraid but I guess that would be a great way to learn for next time ;-)

5. mrcbb80

mrcbb80 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

I know it can be uncomfortable...I completely understand. I don't think it can hurt though. Just say, I was wondering if there is something I could work on for my next interview. Do you have any suggestions? The worst they could say is no. A lot of times, they already have someone in mind for the position so it's not necessarily something you did or said.

6. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jun 16, 2005

From my experience (I was just hired last week so I have been in your shoes) pestering them works wonders. Every teacher I worked with as a long term sub this past year gave me the advise to call at the least weekly to ask if they had any openings. Then once I had interviewed, I called back twice to see if they had made any decisions. The other thing that I can suggest is to get on the sub list if you don't get anything this time around. School systems make decisions before they even start interviews many times. It may not be that you didn't interview well, it is just that they already had someone picked for the spot ahead of time. If you sub in the schools, the principals and human resource people will know you when you go in for that next interview. It really does make a world of difference.

7. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jun 16, 2005

Hi there,
    I am responding because I have been on several committees to interview and hire people. My first advice is this: Do NOT take any rejection personally! We often have more than 200 applicants for one position. Consider it very positive that you have gotten in for the interview! I have been on committees several times when the choice is very very close! Also our district just interviews ONCE and someone is chosen on the basis of that interview. Often the person who is chosen is one who has subbed in the district before , so the principal has seen the person on the job. (Getting on the sub list can't hurt) Occasionally, someone is chosen from the outside, too, so think positively. I can give you some advice on what we have looked for in a candidate:
    1. Someone who comes across as knowledgeable and confident. Pointers: Know what you are good at and try to bring that into the conversation. Consider the interview as a conversation about you... answer the questions by giving examples about YOUR experience. To help yourself get ready to answer the question, you can restate the question or say something like "Let me think about that for a moment." It's even okay to ask them to repeat the question.
    2. Be ready to give a reason why they should choose you for this job. Pointer: We usually like to hear how you "fit." Bring up whatever caused you to respond. Close to my house... my dream job... past experience...I remember my fourth grade teacher... my research... the wonderful atmosphere in this building...I have heard good things from others who have worked here.
    3. We relied heavily on personal references when it was a difficult choice. Pointers: Make sure yours are recent, and easy to access. Our principal much preferred having the phone numbers right there as opposed to "available upon request" It's okay to have friends do this, especially important to include at least one that is an administrator.
    4. I would not recommend asking for pointers at the time of the interview! You should leave them thinking that you want the job and you are the perfect candidate! You may ask the question later, if the interviewer calls to let you know you did not get the job. I would recommend a follow up letter or note to say thank you for the interview.
    5. You may think of other questions... but at the end of the interview, one of your questions should be "How soon do you expect to make a decision?"
    Well... this is supposed to be a quick reply... good luck
    jeanie

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 16, 2005

I found your post very helpful Jeanie. However, I have subbed for eight years in the district and still wasn't hired. I am going back to school to get my El.Ed. certification. Hopefully that is all I will need to get in.

9. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

I'm going to agree with everything that Jeanie said to you, she gave great advice! I'd like to add to that to make sure you are being enthusiastic and energetic. Research shows that children learn best with teachers that are enthusiastic about the job. Show that your passionate and that this is what you are meant to do. Good Luck, I got hired in May so I know how you feel... interviewing is always stressful. Make sure you keep in contact with the districts you had second interviews with. If you got called back then that means your high on the list and new opening could occur. Keep up with the good work, it sounds to me like your doing the right things so far!

10. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 17, 2005

Jeanie that was very helpful. I think I might be too formal - you know not myself like it is a regular conversation talking about me. I will come back to these posts for my next interview. It seems that being enthusiastic is important and like I said I htink I am too formal (and nervous) that it does not come through - that is something to work on. Thank you so much to everyone with their ideas. Cindy

11. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jun 17, 2005

Thanks, too, for your feed back, vshirk, teachgrd1, and cinmcl... I subbed for about 6 years before I was hired.
    Glad if I have helped.
    jeanie

12. dee

dee Companion

Jun 18, 2005

Jeanie gave you very good advice, one more thing I would like to add beside "pestering" which worked for me is to send a thank you letter for the interview. A career placement officer told me that she knew someone got a job because she sent a thank you. I would suggest sending the note on the day of or the day after the interview. My note was sent in my own handwriting to make it real personal.

13. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jun 19, 2005

Good idea, dee. Cnmcl61, we REALLY want you to get that job!

14. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 20, 2005

Thanks everyone. IT's Monday and there were a few jobs in the paper. Next time I get the interview (positive thinking) I will take many of these ideas and practice them. You guys are great!

15. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 20, 2005

I hate to say it, but in my school district, we almost always hire an "outsider." That is because if you are considered a great sub, then the district doesn't want to lose you as a sub. We are so short of subs, that some days I have two classrooms of Kindergartners. 45 little ones in a room with just me, it makes life interesting!
    Hang in there, the right job will come along. I have been on interview committees and it is a very hard choice! Sometimes it is through a flip of the coin, so to speak! Don't get too discouraged. It is still early in the hiring game, since most schools aren't set with their numbers yet! :)

16. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

Somebody else said that to me - that if you are a good sub they don't want to lose you - I find that odd though sicne another district could scoop you up (not that that is what is happening) I am trying to be positive and look at these interviews and post ideas are practice for that "perfect job"

17. churchcat

churchcat Rookie

Jun 29, 2005

interviewing tips

Since I have only interviewed three times, and got offers on two jobs (and an other on the third the following year), I have a few tips on interviewing. I have interviewed for both middle school and elementary school, and find the essentials to be the same.

Dress for Success
    I always wear a skirt, a jacket and heels. The skirt must be at least knee length. I know that some women like to wear pants, but it is generally seen as more professional for a woman to wear a skirt. I wear a jacket even if it is 90 degrees. I wear a collared shirt underneath the jacket. This is to maintain a sense of professionalism. I wear heels because I think that they are the most professional, plus I am rather short so they make me taller. However, it is important for the heels not to be too tall and for the shoes, whether they are heels or not, to be CLOSE-TOED and CLOSE-BACKED.
    Keep your make-up classic. Don't go for any extreme procedures. Wear neutral or muted tones. Same goes with your hair. Keep it simple.
    Your nails do not need to be professionally done, but do need to be clean. This may sound like common sense, but some people are not aware of it.

Memorize certain HOT Words and Phrases
    This words and phrases include: collaboration, math manipulatives, hands-on math, differentiation, Bloom's Taxonomy, integration, learning styles, etc.
    Be prepared to explain how you will collaborate with others, what types of hands-on learning you will use, how you will reach both the gifted students and the struggling students while teaching the average students, how you will integrate subjects, and others.

Look over sample interview questions
    I once had an interview where they sat me down and said "We are now going to ask you 100 questions." It was very nerve-racking.
    By looking over sample interview questions and WRITING down my responses, I feel that I was extremely prepared. Some sample questions can be found at:
    http://purdue.placementmanual.com/education/education-02.html
    You should also be prepared to answer questions about books. That means that you have to actually read books. On two of my three interviews, I was asked what the last book I read was. Principals like their teachers to actually read.

Research about the school
    You shouldn't have to ask about the demographics of the school. You should know when you walk into the interview the following:
    Percentage of Free/Reduced Lunch
    Ethnic Diversity
    Percentage of Special Ed
    Number of Students
    Test Results for the previous years plus pattern
    Knowing this information makes you look professional and informed. It also shows that you are prepared (and that means that you will probably be prepared in the classroom).

Know what not to Ask
    If you seriously want the job, don't ask about the percentage of "bad kids" or how much "free time" you get everyday. First, there is no such thing as bad kids, just misguided. Secondly, if you do your job correctly, you should not have free time.

Know the area around the school
    Come early (if possible do this before the day of your interview) and drive or walk around the area of the school. You can bring up landmarks or other subjects in your interview.

Be Early
    Being on time is not good enough. Be early, but not too early. I usually aim for about 7 to 10 minutes early. It's early enough to be professional, but not so early that it interferes with their other time.

Ask for a tour of the School and where your class would be
    To do this you must be extremely confident. However, confidence can be a good thing. You have to decide what best fits you.

Maintain eye contact
    DO NOT LOOK AT THE FLOOR!!!!

Do not chew gum
    This should go without saying.

Thank them
    Either call, e-mail or send thank you.

Hope these are helpful.

Kris :love:

18. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 29, 2005

Thanks for these great tips, Kris! I have a question though. I'm in University, completing my final year of my B.Ed. degree. The school divisions come out to the University to interview in the final year. They don't have school specific interviews, but divisional ones.

I'm guessing some good tips for those interviews are knowing each division's philosophy and demographics, but do you (or anyone) have any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

19. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005

That is indeed great advice - thank you so much.

20. churchcat

churchcat Rookie

Jun 30, 2005

interviewing tips

I did forget a few other things. Basically, when you are on an interview, you are a salesperson making a salespitch about yourself. You need to sell yourself. An interview is not a time to be modest. It is a time to tell about your positive attributes.

Additionally, always bring a portfolio that shows you at your best. Keep in mind that not all places look at portfolios. I've only had one place actually do that, but some districts like to see that.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Good luck! :love: