Is it some kind of weird, unwritten P rule that they can't observe the end of the day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Em_Catz, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 30, 2010

I'm NOT complaining, but my principal and vice principal always visit my class in the mornings when I'm at my best which is AWESOME:D.

Even when we had a learning walk, the entire team came into my room around 9:30.

However, if I were an admin, i could see myself visiting after lunch/closer to the middle or end of the day so I could get an idea of what the kids and teacher are like.

I would want to see if the quality of instruction is the same in the morning as it in the afternoon.

In the five years I have been teaching, I have only been formally observed ONCE during the middle of the day and I think I've had two informal observations in the middle of the day.

I have never had an admin come during the last hour of the day. Is it some kind of weird, unwritten principal rule?

Is it because I have writing and reading in the morning? Do they not care about the Social Studies, Science and Math Block which come in the afternoon? :confused:

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2010

I'm not sure principals would like seeing how sausage is made either.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 30, 2010

I'm not sure I get it. You mean they would like to, but can't because of time?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2010

Kids tend to be at their worst at the end of the day, and principals know that it's not an accurate reflection of the teachers or the kids.

In addition, whatever is going on in the principal's office tends to build up during the day; what starts off as a relatively light day probably seldom ends up as such.

6. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Nov 30, 2010

Yea I'm thinking that by the afternoon the management team might be pretty swamped by their own responsibilities. If for some reason you would like some feedback on your afternoon teaching, you could ask them to come in at a certain time.

7. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Nov 30, 2010

I wonder the same thing too. When we had informal observations recently, the admins only came during the first two periods of reading.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 30, 2010

Of my last three observations two were during my fifth block class and one was fourth (we have 5 blocks per day). Last block of the day is always the most challenging. And for 4th block they just came from lunch, another challenge. But I have gotten satisfactory for every observation. I'll fully admit when I see the admin there I think to myself, "Really? Now? You couldn't come and see me teach this same class at ten am instead?!" And my coworker had her observation in her fifth block last year. So nope, no such rule at my school anyway.

9. historynut

historynut Rookie

Nov 30, 2010

I know my VP is soooo busy in the afternoons with discipline problems it isn't even funny. He comes when he can manage 5 minutes to get out of the office. I feel sorry for him sometimes. :(

10. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Nov 30, 2010

You guys are all on target. I often get to classrooms first thing in the morning before the day gets hoppin'. As the day moves on, multiple issues come up that need attention, whether that be discipline or another issue.

If a teacher requests that time, however, for an observation, then I fit it into my schedule and work around it.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2010

Sorry. Read it again. Must have had a brain fart when I was typing.

Sausage: Tastes real good but you really don't want to see how it's made. Reference to anything where the finished product looks much better than the production process.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 30, 2010

I observe once during each of the teachers preps (not different sections) so what stinks is is their only Honors class is at the end of the day, I'll have to observe then.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2010

I have been observed during all class periods of the day. I don't really care when my supervising administrator comes to see me.

14. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 1, 2010

I think by the end of the day, they are in their office dealing with parents, disruptive students, etc and just can't get to the classroom. This is especially true in a small school like mine that has one administrator - the principal.

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 2, 2010

You all make a good point. Today, I'm honestly glad that the P didn't visit because I was doing the school store (kids get to spend "money" they earn from me all month to buy little trinkets that i keep locked away in a box) so they were bouncing off the walls in anticipation during the last 20 minutes of school.

A parent stopped by and I was so embarassed! She probably thinks my class is nuts like that all the time.

I guess it's not a fair judgment of the class, but I still think if I was an admin, I would observe at the end of the day every once in awhile.

As a teacher, I am curious what other teachers rooms look like at the end of the day beause while my kids are well managed, our dismissal is always kinda crazy.

16. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 2, 2010

Teachers' union can sometimes have a say. For a formal observation our local public school principals have to give notice in advance and not observe before holidays or vacation days. Not sure if time of day is included in that.

17. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 2, 2010

That seems reasonable, but I am talking about informal observations, which at my school are very similar to formal ones because the P and VP have a meeting with you and give you a sheet of notes

18. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

My P and AP pop in and out whenever they would like. I feel like my P always seems to pop in unexpectedly when things are a little crazy, but I know she understands that things aren't always perfect. For our formal observations, ours typically wants to see reading or math... she isn't as concerned about Science or Social Studies (which is in the afternoon for me). This year she asked to come in during a writing lesson, since I volunteered to try out a new writing program this year... we are trying to figure out how to help writing in the whole school.

Ps understand that when they come in, that is just a small snapshot of the day (good or bad). Our county is actually going towards a portfolio for our evaluations the next few years. That way our observation isn't our only proof of what goes on in our room.

19. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Dec 5, 2010

my princ. is notorious for coming last period on a friday before break.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  20. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2010

End of the day is not a time I want anyone coming into my classroom. Personally I prefer when I am left completely alone and they don't show at all. But the end of the day tends to be rough. One time recently they actually did swoop in during that time, quite suprising, and luckily we were doing something productive and similar to the entire grade level, so it worked out.