Is it right...? TV reality show publicity?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Is it right to have a fifth-grade teacher on Big Brother? He's also from the Tampa Bay area (though a different county from me), so that's what caught my attention. I am not watching the show, but I've heard about it. He's the one who was forced to wear the banana suit.

Apparently he does awesome things in his classroom- http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/article916737.ece (That is not him in the picture.)

I'd be concerned if I had a child who had him and wanted to watch the show. Obviously, my child would not be able to watch it. I wouldn't even want the show to cross my child's mind, hopefully. If he returns to school soon, how will people react? His students? Their parents? His co-workers? His principal? The school district? I advocate for all teachers, but it just concerns me a bit. Hopefully everything will progress fine.

3. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

I have thought about this too. Not the same show, but I have heard of teachers being on tv shows and it just seems like it would create a lot of problems. I certainly wouldn't want my child's teacher to have been on a reality show. And when I say "reality show", I'm assuming its of the big brother genre. If it is an appropriate show, that would be different.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

I'm not against it, though I would never do it.

Dan, who won last year is a high school teacher in Michigan. He was very careful about what he did, and didn't really do anything controversial. He was very well-liked outside the house. I think if you carry yourself well, you can do alright. I wouldn't carry myself well though :lol:

5. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

Dan did a great job. This Casey guy (in the banana suit) is weird. IMO I know the show edits things the way they want, but from what I'm seeing it worries me that he is a teacher sometimes.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Teachers just have to be very careful in the way they conduct themselves, especially under publicity as big as something as that. (Sorry I have been so staunch today, between writing negative things about provocative dresses for girls and bringing this up!!!) I think the main concern is that when I watched for five or so minutes today, they had to bleep him a few times.

If you conduct yourself fine, sure, but...

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

I COMPLETELY agree, Ms. Jasztal!!! He has definitely not set a good example on BB.

8. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I am an avid Big Brother fan, to the point that I watch the live feeds. I've watched Casey and how he behaves. While his behavior is not what I would want in a classroom, I know that many teachers have different personas at school and at home.

He gets very passionate when he talks about his students, the things he has done for them, and the accomplishments they have made. He is clearly a very caring teacher.

9. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Jul 30, 2009

Ehh I would think twice about putting my child in his class.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 30, 2009

I remember some local media giving a Houston teacher a hard time - (she was on the Bachelor I think). Ended up missing 3 months of school and it was during TAKS testing season so parents were really upset - they thought it was unfair for their kids to have a sub and possibly not be as prepared for the test while their teacher went to be on TV.

11. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

I remember that Punkin, from the Flavor of Love reality dating show with Flavor Flav, was a substitute teacher. Not quite the same thing as a regular classroom teacher, but she did some awful things on television. I would hate to have her teaching my child. (she was the one who spat on "New York").

12. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

Casey has said that he took the year off because he didn't know how long he would be there. He didn't want to miss the beginning of the year with his students because he thought that was an important part of their year together.

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

I think teachers really need to think about how being on a reality TV show can affect their career. You cannot control the way the show portrays you (obviously they are your actions regardless) so I think they should stay away from reality TV. Maybe a one day game show would be ok, competitive and fun.

14. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

I love BB (watching the HOH competition right now, go Jeff!)

I didn't like Casey though. I especially didn't appreciate him saying, "Ain't nobody talking to you." several times tonight. I'm sure he is a wonderful teacher, but the way that he spoke was unreal.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

Don't worry, Casey's been voted off. ;)

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

I think Casey is just fine as a teacher.
    He was sensitive and truthful.
    He enjoys life and is comfortable in his own skin.
    I think he is the type of teacher who can relate well to all kids because of life experiences.
    :2cents:

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

:( :( :(
    I was rooting for him.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2009

Hmm... now the poor guy has shot himself in the foot because he has taken the year off. That's extremely hard for him in this economy. Not that a Florida teacher's salary is great, but even hearing he is a DJ doesn't bring him that much money.

19. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

The behavior and language that he has displayed on the Big Brother After Dark show is very unbecoming for a fifth grade teacher, in my honest opinion as an fellow educator. I think the public should and does hold us up to a higher standard than many other professions. We really need to be diligent as to our behavior and actions out in the public. Should a teacher be on Big Brother? Yeah, why not? Should a teacher display the behavior that Mr. Turner has on national tv, absolutely not.

20. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

Dan was the perfect example of how a teacher can and should behave if they were a contestant on a reality show.

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2009

I followed neither character- I really don't watch those shows because they have no purpose for me to watch them- but it's a shame when a teacher doesn't act appropriately on national television for all to see. I am sure somebody who was a parent of one of his students watched it at some point and time.

22. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

I live and teach in the county where Casey is from. There has been NOTHING in our newspaper other than a tiny blurb when BB began and like, one sentence today that he was kicked off. Never heard anything thru the teacher grapevine either. Maybe because it is during the summer.

23. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

I really don't think it's a good idea for a teacher to do this... we are held to very high standards of conduct. Even if the person did nothing that should be considered "wrong" during the filming of the show, I know for a fact that the way those reality shows are edited, actions and words are taken out of context and twisted for dramatic effect. I have a friend who has been on several reality shows, and he learned that the hard way.... although he's not a teacher so it doesn't really matter to him carreer-wise.

24. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I am obviously in the minority, but I believe teachers should be free to do whatever they want on their personal time, even if that is reality TV.

I think as long as teacher is appropriate in the clasroom, what he/ she does outside the class is really none of everybody's business. Parents and students alike, need to understand that teachers are not saints and have lives... I am getting tired of seeing my 8th graders at the grocery store and they have a heart atttack, OMG what are you doing out of school? look on their faces.

This is a touchy issue with me because of my work environment. I HAVE a life, and eeryone needs to understand that I am not a perfect, or near perfect!!!

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2009

Sure, I just always wish teachers the best, no matter what. Thanks for chatting.

26. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I don't think you are in the minority thinking teachers SHOULD be free to do whatever... but that's not the reality.

This is part of the reason I am glad I live 35 minutes away from my school. I'll take the commute over running into students and parents everywhere I go. haha

27. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Aug 1, 2009

There was a woman on another reality show that taught at a Catholic school and was fired. For some reason I am thinking it was My Big Fat Fiancee where she pretended to marry the guy for money.

28. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I don't necessarily think some of Casey's actions in the BB house have been appropriate, but boy was he HILARIOUS in his banana suit! I laughed myself silly every time they showed him in the suit. I think that when teachers go on reality TV, they have to be very careful of their actions because you don't know WHO is watching you.