Is it really illegal or just P.C. gone too far?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by BeatlesFan, Sep 26, 2007.

1. BeatlesFan

BeatlesFan Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

Keep in mind this is about adult students, not children.

This has nothing to do with me, but it is
    something I've thought about.

Is it true that over 18 years old adult students cannot
    go out socially with their teachers? Even in a public
    restaurant?

My one teacher told us she couldn't even go to a personal milestone event for one of her students, because the student was not a graduate. She was afraid she could get fired for doing so.
    She is going to a gathering for another student this week, but only
    because that student will not be a student as soon as the degree is put in her hand.

I would love to have a lunch date with her and two other teachers, because they inspire me and I would enjoy their company.

One thing that really irks me is political correctness, esp. when we are talking about adult students. One of my friends at school is almost 50, so we're not kids.

Can an instructor really get fired for going out to eat with their students? It seems hard to believe, so I figure I'd come here and ask.

Thank you.

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2007

I never heard of it. I have met students, with their parents, for lunch.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2007

I don't think there's a law, although that might vary from one area to the next. There may be something in her contract which prohibits it, even if it's not a legal matter.

But in the society in which we live, I think she's probably just being very smart.

In a public setting, there are all sorts of scenarios which might come up which might compromise her professional reputation.

You say "over 18"-- does that mean high school or college?

In the first case, she's acting in loco parentis, regardless of the age of the student. If you are in college, it's a different matter.

And forgive me if this comes out wrong, but is it possible that her rule is her way of protecting her time with her family? That she enjoys your company in class, but simply wants her time away from school to be reserved for her husband, kids, parents, and friends?

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 26, 2007

One thing I want to point out is to see it from another students perspective. You are friends with the teacher, see them socially, and get an "A" (presumably deserved of course). They receive a grade that is less than yours. They have something to bring up that could be questionable under treating students fairly. If this was a former professor or you met with them on campus I would think it was perfectly acceptable. A lot of times they are concerned because of the unequal power in the relationship. Many bosses at large companies are not permitted to socialize with people who work under them without other people present.

6. BeatlesFan

BeatlesFan Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

Since my one friend is in her forties obviously this is about college not high school.

My teacher does have a good family, that she always talks about. But, she did want to go out to the one students personal event, but was worried she'd be fired for fraternizing with students. That is why she can go out to dinner with the future graduate and her family, because she won't
    be a student anymore. She even told us that.

It just seems so silly to me.

But, I can understand her point-of-view, and it
    could be in her contract.

Tasha, you bring up an excellent point about other students.
    I've been told by fellow students that rub me the wrong way,
    that this teacher gives out "sympathy grades", which if
    you knew our teacher, you'd know that statement is
    not true. But yes, we do have our fair share of pettiness
    at our school.

Come graduation, I'm inviting my three teachers and some
    friends out to dinner. It just seems silly that we can't
    go out to lunch until a degree is issued. But, I'll respect
    the rules, because I would never put my teachers in
    such a position. :)

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2007

You would be stunned at the number of high school kids who think their teachers are their friends and would love nothing more than to spend free time getting together.

It's not nearly as obvious as you imply.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 26, 2007

I'm in a graduate program and have gone out to dinner with all of my professors. ( the whole class went- not just one on one) In fact, one of the professors even drank with us at happy hour. on several occasions. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I realize that it was not smart of her. Very unprofessional. I can see the instructors point of view how she would be reluctant to meet outside of class.

9. BeatlesFan

BeatlesFan Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

Our school is a small family environment, there are some students that our teachers do want to spend time with. Then there are some they cannot wait for them to be gone. My teacher did want to go to the one girls milestone event, but couldn't because she was still a student.

Kat, we have all gone to school sanctioned gatherings.
    But the teachers sit at their group table,
    and the students at theirs.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 26, 2007

Meeting socially with a class is much different than with a student or two. I would think it is the appearance of you being able to influence her grading or who says you won't call foul later about anything and she has nothing to save her. With the class, there is no appearance of a single student influencing the grades. The drinking should be kept to a BARE min though.

11. BeatlesFan

BeatlesFan Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

cutNGlue, I rarely drink so that's not an issue for me. And this would be a group outing, just not our whole class, which I think is better to wait until graduation. When she said she was worried about losing her job, I wondered if going to out to dinner with students was illegal?

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 26, 2007

Ahh..I don't think it is illegal but I'm sure some schools prohibit it.

13. BeatlesFan

BeatlesFan Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

^ Which I think is the case with mine. It's good to know.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 26, 2007

It could even just be personal ethics. A teacher could assume it is supposed to be that way and therefore it is. Either way, it's good to just respect it of course.