Is it really downhill after.....

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by DaveF, Dec 29, 2007.

1. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Dec 29, 2007

Is it really downhill after Christmas? I keep hearing that the kids and the rest of the year will be different. What changes?

I don't want my class to change. My kids have all done well and for the most part they all do their best.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 29, 2007

I wouldn't say it's downhill. I don't know about 1st grade curriculum, but in 4th grade, Jan. and Feb. are really hard teaching months--we have the hardest parts of our curriculum to teach and still prepare for testing, while the weather stinks and the kids don't get to go outside. The kids are usually more independent after Christmas though.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2007

I have heard and experienced this also...I think it's because the excitement of knowing that the holidays are coming is over. The "honeymoon" is over after Winter Break and reality of getting through the rest of the school year begins to sink in for everyone....

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2007

I've not experienced a downhill slide. If anything I look at January as a time to come back refreshed, relaxed and re-energized to work again. Plan some great lessons- some hands on, cool stuff to kick off the New Year. If you stay enthusiastic, they will too.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 29, 2007

I can say that when I came along to do my student teaching last year in January, it wasn't difficult at all, but of course, I don't have anything to compare it to, other than what the teacher told me. I've only heard that it's easier after the New Year...

7. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 29, 2007

When I taught 1st grade, my kids came back all "grown-up"! They could do so much more.

It was cool!

Kelly :)

8. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

Dec 31, 2007

I teach 5th and not 1st, but we always get a lot of good work out of kids during the 2 months between winter break and spring break. I think it's one of the best times, in fact - they are trained to teacher expectations, have learned to be students again after the summer break, and are just generally more mature and ready to handle anything we throw at them. They also don't have any holidays to look forward to and it's yucky outside so they seem more content to stay inside and work since they can't go outside and play.

After spring break is the time that scares me...in 5th grade they all seem to grow hormones over the break. :lol:

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2007

My students will be different after the break. For us, the problem is that we go for so long without a break once we come back to school. Everyone gets sick of school, sick of each other, sick of seeing me every other day... It's tough all around. I'm planning to break things up after every few weeks or so with an easier sort of sequence of activities for a couple of days. (I teach high school Latin, which is a brutal subject.)

10. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Dec 31, 2007

Well what I have seen in younger children is they come back and it is like september all over again. "Jimmy, raise your hand","Get the door for the person behind you." "Carly, stay in line." On the other hand, I have seen children come back rejuvenated and ready to focus. It is like they made a complete turn around. These were the behavior issues before the break too. Again, it really depends on the child's maturity level and personality.

May is really where EVERYONE gets "itchy".

11. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 31, 2007

For me, it is the really hard time between January and March when we have no days off that is really hard. And our spring break is only a Friday and a Monday! After spring break though, it goes really fast.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2007

I think it goes well after Christmas. We have to buckle down and learn lots of things before spring, so are extra busy. This Pre-K.

13. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Dec 31, 2007

First Graders Definately Change

I taught first grade for five years. I can say that the time after Christmas will reveal a fantastic change in reading ability. I think that it just feels like time flys since the class gets into a really effective groove.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2008

For us, there's really not much of a difference. Especially now that it's no longer "Chicken Pox season" thanks to the vaccine.

Now after EAster (really reallly early this year) it's a bit different... they can begin to feel the sand between their toes and want to be at the beach.