Is it pretty bad to cry during an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ahodge79, Jun 17, 2014.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 17, 2014

I can't believe it but a few tears came out... wow I was beside myself. I got TWO interviews yesterday in a very sought after school district and heard the questions would be the same. Lucky since I liked the second opportunity better (for a new elem. School trying to fill 6 positions). I had struck it off really well with the principal's Secretary who had told me over the phone how much she liked the format of my resume and I talked to her for awhile before it started and that seemed to go well.

So I had a good answer for everything and was showing them examples of my work. At the end they asked me if I had any questions or anything to add... maybe I should of said no! Anyways I proceed to tell them how I work well with the team, I won't be any trouble, her investment in me won't be wasted, and started to say I'm looking for a home (to be in for a long time...). But suddenly my throat caught and my eyes welled up and a couple tears popped out! I covered my face and said I can't believe this... the principal said she liked my obvious passion. I finished through some wet eyes but thanked them all and said bye.

I had no idea how emotional I'd get saying something like that but even when I was thinking it over later I'd tear up! Geez! Anything like that happen to you? Is it definitely over?

3. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 17, 2014

I actually think it may have benefited you! You were showing your passion for this profession! Keep us updated. :)

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 18, 2014

It doesn't sound too bad. It's not that you were balling your eyes out. No worries. I hope you hear something soon. Good luck!

5. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

My English teacher friend welled up when asked to describe her favorite book, and why she loved it. She was mortified, but I think it shows some deep passion for the subject.

Most people understand that interviews are emotionally charged and nerve-wracking things.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

I think it's ok! Everyone has emotions, and yours poured out during an interview. I think it shows that you are a person, first and foremost, rather than just a piece of resume paper or a portfolio.

Last year, my team got together for a group session (I work at a college, and all of us in Extended Learning are scattered across 18 counties). My boss asked us each to share why we like where we work (we all do!), and someone mentioned the support we had and just lost it. It was like a chain reaction-before my boss knew what happened (he's male) he had 10 women bawling our eyes out at how wonderful we all were. We got a good laugh at that-sometimes it's good to just get it out.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

Agreed!

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2014

My initial reaction was also "that sounds like interview-suicide" but after reading the story it sounds okay. If it was just a few tears, no problem. At least you made a lasting impression! ;)

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2014

My only suggestion would be to leave out saying "I won't be any trouble" when you get called back for a panel interview or in future interviews. It's kind of an odd thing to say in a professional setting. I'm sure it was such a tiny part of the scope of your interview that it's nothing to fret about, but it kind of sounds like you are child begging for a chance - instead of showing off your strengths.

Welling up when speaking about finding a home is no big deal for an elementary teacher. I want my elementary school teachers to have an emotional attachment to the children - especially the lower grades. I think I would be touched by seeing your heartfelt desire to be a part of the student's teaching family.

(On the other hand, up just to give it perspective, tearing up about wanting to find a home would be kind of off putting in a secondary-level interview, unless the interviewee was "blow me away" amazing in other aspects. Tearing up about a novel or a particularly touching student interaction, however, would be totally understandable - even in a secondary setting.)

10. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 18, 2014

I think if you were crying because you were passionate about something it could be a positive thing. If you were crying because you were having a hard time or doing it in a way that would make them feel sorry for you then it wouldn't be a good thing.

In your case though it just seems like you were moved by what you were talking about and cared about it in a genuine way. If an interviewer has a problem with that, then maybe you wouldn't want to be there anyway. Good luck!

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2014

Tearing up about finding a home would not be off-putting to me if I was on the interview committee at my high school. My school is home to me and much of the staff feels like family.

I don't think it's bad at all. I wouldn't want to work at a place that would count it against you and not offer you a job. It'd be different if you were just crying your eyes out.

12. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 18, 2014

Thanks for the support everyone, I hope you're right! I will let you know if I hear back. When I got home I saw several openings in the district I live in too and made sure to apply to those. The secretary I was talking about in the first post was speaking to another employee and I heard her saying that there have never been so many positions district wide before, good news for education.

I see your point about the "I won't cause any trouble" I don't want to seem desperate... but the way I said it actually made everyone giggle so it wasn't too serious sounding.

13. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 24, 2014

well I got calls back today and yesterday and a no for both. One school said that it wasn't really my interview, just they are doing a push-in special ed program and they wanted people with more experience in that. Didn't see that posted anywhere... second one said that I need more examples from actual teaching, said I was giving a list and too much. Connecting to students type stories.

On the positive note just got another call within the same district- they use the same questions so I'm really going to be prepared this time!

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 24, 2014

That's great feedback! Best of luck in the next one!

15. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2014

Every interview is a chance to get better!

16. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 25, 2014

What a great attitude. I'm sure someone will snatch you up!

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2014

That's really great that they actually said why they didn't choose you. That'll help for your future interviews! Best of luck to you.

18. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 25, 2014

I guess it depends on the panel. Honestly, I would never recommend we hire someone who cried during the interview, but I guess lots of others would.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 25, 2014

Most educators are very nurturing people, I think. Your tears would have moved me if I were on your interview panel.

20. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 25, 2014

I'm sorry it didn't work out, but you have a great attitude. I hope the right opportunity comes quickly for you!

21. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 25, 2014

Sorry it didn't work out. That is great feedback though.