Is it possible to be friends with principal???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachingtoo, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 1, 2020

I'm a newbie teacher who recently joined a school during the second term (we're currently summer break though) . So far I like it, the environment, students, staff members etc. My principal is a pretty cool person. She's also so fashionable and poised. I'm into fashion and so I kinda look up to her when it comes to that. She's nice to me too, always smiles whenever she sees me in the hallway and says hello. But I don't know why, she makes me super nervous and intimidates me so much! I doubt it if she even knows she does... I'm really good at hiding my nervousness around people. Somtiems to the extent where I may come across as rude, nonchalant, or overconfident. Whenever she does her walk throughs and peeps into he little window, I freak out!!! Im not sure what she thinks of me

Anyway, I really admire her leadership, sense of style, and personality. I think she's a pretty cool person outside of school. I don't know, is it weird that I want to be friends with her even though I know she's probably 15 years older than I am. I have a thing of befriending older people, simply because I like the widosm and intellectualism they bring in a friendship. They give great advices, and have a unique sense of humor. I have a few friends that are actually in their early 40s. And we get along well. I make sure thar there is always that line of respect drawn.
    So is it weird to want to be befriend my principal?How do I stop being nervous around her, and how can I make small talks with her?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jun 2, 2020

No

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 2, 2020

It depends.

I wouldn’t go into the job with the intention to befriend the principal. That makes you look like a suck up, and that won’t win you points with anyone.

However, sometimes people just click over time and friendships form. Even in those situations, you have to keep a professional relationship at school.

Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.
  5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2020

I would aim for friendly, not friends.

6. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 2, 2020

Thank you for input.. I think I'll be friendly with them but not try to be friends

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 2, 2020

In general, I agree with the "friendly, not friends" advice.

However, sometimes friendships just develop over looooong periods of time. In my district, one of the principals has been there more than 20 years, as have some teachers. At least one teacher even worked with the principal in another district back when they were both teachers. They're clearly good friends and not in an unprofessional way. It's kind of hard to draw a line in the sand when a friendship can develop in very organic and genuine ways over time.

In the case of the OP though, I'd recommend going with the "friend, not friends" advice. A true friendship just happens. You shouldn't have to force it or strategize on how to make it occur.

Teachingtoo and MrsC like this.
  8. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 2, 2020

You're right, I'd much rather have a true friendship that'll take time to happen than one that's quick and forced. Thank you for your advice. I'll stick to being just friendly

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 2, 2020

I had a friend who was a principal, but it was after I was no longer working for her. She was great to work for and an awesome person, but there is a thin line between how close you should be w/ a P when you work for them, I think. Friendly is a good way to go! :)

Teachingtoo likes this.
  10. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

Thanks for the input:)

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 3, 2020

Please don't do this. Any time this has happened at a school where I've worked, it's led to resentment from other faculty.

I do not add supervisors on social media for this reason.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 3, 2020

I'm going to add that it's not a good idea to become social media friends with one's boss. I had a principal once announce in a faculty meeting that she would not accept any FaceBook or similar friend requests from anyone employed by her. It wasn't personal against them, but it also wasn't at all professional.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 3, 2020

This happened a few years ago. The principal wasn't liked by anyone except one teacher who became best friends with her (they would sit in her office and chat while other people watched her students). She got away with a lot and the other teachers were furious. It was ridiculous. Since they were both bonkers to begin with it made a lot of sense :dizzy: The principal left under mysterious circumstances so her best buddy quit because she was so appalled that her wonderful friend was gone. We all said, "Bye Felicia"!! :toofunny:

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 3, 2020

I would advise against trying to become your P’s “friend.” You can be friendly but remember you’re at work and the P is the boss.... actually, the P’s administrative assistant is also your “boss” so tread carefully on trying to establish friendships. Can friendships happen over time? Perhaps.... Just don’t go to work and think it’s cutting up and goofing off with ones who have the power in the building.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  15. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

*gulps* I wouldn't ever want to be in such a situation with the faculty. Thank you for the advice. I'll refrain from adding them on social media as well

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  16. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

Indeed it doesn't sound professional. I've heard about a few that do not request but will accept friend requests from employees. Nevertheless, I'll stay on the safe side and avoid adding any of the admin from my school. Thank you for your input

17. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

You're right. I didn't really pay so much attention to the fact that they are my "boss". Maybe because I thought of her as a cool person. I appreciate the advice

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2020

I just became Facebook friends with my P--she initiated the friend request. We've worked together for a total of 6 years. I had seen over the past couple of years that she was friends on social media with quite a few of the teachers at school, but I didn't feel right initiating that contact. I'm not concerned, partly because of our relationship in real life, but mostly because I never say anything online that I would be worried about anyone seeing.

Teachingtoo and Tired Teacher like this.
  19. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

I think 6 years is a pretty good amount of time to know your boss well enough to be friends on Facebook. My previous P was friends on FB with many of the staff in the school. My current P is different, I haven't seen except one staff member on her list of friends...a bit strange :neutral:

20. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 3, 2020

I guess I'm alone here.
    My last principal was amazing and everyone loved her. She was more like everyone's friend than our boss, yet she still did her job well, and everyone respected her more because of it.
    We all consider her one of our friends.
    We've all hung out with her outside of work, including getting drinks together.

bella84 likes this.
  21. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 3, 2020

I've never had one that I wanted to be friends with. Honestly.

bella84 likes this.
  22. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

Sounds amazing to have had that kind of relationship with your principal. I'm assuming that it was only a staff hangouts and not individually? I had that with my previous P as well, she'd throw us breakfast and holiday parties at the school, we'd have dinner with her outside. We weren't "friends" though...just had a really great relationship. And yes, everyone still respected her

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 3, 2020

Let me add that it will also depend on your overall school culture and location, too. My school is in a very small, rural district. Most of the people who work in our school grew up in our community or have ties to the community beside work.

If I followed the “no administrators, co-workers, or parents on social media” guideline some people use, I’d wipe out the majority of my friends list.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  24. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

Wow. So probably just about a handful of new people you would meet at your school.
    I agree with you, it does depend on the school culture and location.

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 3, 2020

I was born and raised in the town I work in. My parents are friends (since high school) with two of the staff members at my site and one of the teachers at my school was my own teacher. I’ve become friends with a few staff members, but it has happened organically. Relationships form naturally when you work with people day after day for years on end.

Teachingtoo, MrsC and bella84 like this.
  26. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 3, 2020

I’m the odd person out in districts where I’ve worked. I have a Facebook, but I won’t be anyone’s Facebook friend until we no longer work together. I wouldn’t even “friend” one of my closest friends at work until I resigned and moved on to a new district. And I even had a few months buffer in there. I often hear colleagues talk about what they’ve seen from one another on Facebook, and I do often feel out of the loop. But I’m okay with it because I value keeping my work life and personal life separate, unless the two happen to mix in a natural way.

Tired Teacher and Teachingtoo like this.
  27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 3, 2020

I have accepted friend requests from former Ps, but would never even think of it while they were my boss. It's just a level of familiarity between power levels I didn't feel comfortable with. I only need to stick my foot in my mouth once or have some random comment come back to haunt me.

Teachingtoo likes this.
  28. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 3, 2020

Yes, but sometimes they want to be more than friends! My first principal would ask me what I was doing on the weekend. "I have a yacht. Ever been on a yacht?" Hint. Hint. Yes, my 10-year-old daughter loves sailing. That changed things.

29. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

Interesting. I agree with you, I became friends with staff members who I never even thought we'd get along. But working with them day after day it just happened naturally. Thanks for the input

30. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

Haha, you're right about that. The points made in this thread made me realize I didn't think it through. I just wanted to rush into a risky friendship simply because P seems pretty cool. Maybe it'll happen over time or even after we no longer work together

31. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 3, 2020

Really?! :frowning: your principal probably liked your personality. I haven't seen a P intitiate any friendship with the staff but I've seen them become very close to a staff member because of their personality

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 3, 2020

Milsey has shared a lot of interesting experiences here over the years.

33. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 4, 2020

Awesome! Love reading/listening to interesting stories and experiences

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 4, 2020

^^You’re not reading between the lines at all from @Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher and bella84 like this.
  35. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 4, 2020

You're right, It does depend on the culture and location. Here in the middle east its very normal to be friends with your P and admin on social media. And usually also have what's app groups with the admin, including the P. Had that with the previous principal. But the current one was raised in the UK and so she has a completely different mindset than what we're used to seeing. That's why I thought I'd come on here and get some answers... I'm not sure how principals overseas take to staff members befriending them

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  36. Teachingtoo

Teachingtoo Rookie

Jun 4, 2020

*facepalm* I didn't think I'd be reading such interesting stories on this kind of platform :rofl:

37. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2020

The P at my first school was like this. Like a pp mentioned, based on the location if you didn't hang out with coworkers, you weren't going to have many/any friends. This was a ski resort town and teachers were basically the only year round residents aside from the billionaires who owned the resorts. It was an interesting place. I remember laughing at advice not to drink with coworkers. Who else was I going to drink with?? ;)P and AP often came out with us on weekends and the overall culture was also just much more relaxed. The idea of "professionalism" just wasn't something people really concerned themselves with.

However, this led to issues as well. Sometimes "drama" from the weekends would seep into the school week. P had trouble making tough decisions as a leader due to her status of being friends with the staff. I left after 2 years and that spring P announced she was going back to teaching so she could "spend more time with family." Now that I've been in the profession for longer I realized that's HR speak for being fired, and thinking back on it there was an HR person present in the meeting where P made this proclamation.

Now that I live in the city I enjoy keeping my social life separate from school. I like that when I go out with friends, it's truly a break and doesn't end up being a vent session about school stuff/just talking about school stuff. I do have one teammate who I consider a very close friend and we chat all of the time at school, eat lunch together when we can, etc. but we have very different lives outside of school as she has young children to take care of. I don't post on social media so I don't need to worry about that.

In my current school, a former teammate was BFFs with our former P. Things went very well for her until that P was fired. I think she went in thinking she could win over the new P and have a similar relationship, but new P wasn't having it. After being allowed to basically run the school under former P, new P fired her after two super challenging years. Most staff members weren't sympathetic due to resentments from previous years. Current P is not as blatant about it but she does have staff members she's clearly closer to and it does sometimes make things awkward. P and I have some common interests and I will chat about those with her at school but I would never dream of asking her to hang out outside of school or anything like that.

Caesar753 and Teachingtoo like this.
  38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 4, 2020

And don't forget her award winning personality!

bella84 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  39. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2020

I'm not sure anyone will remember, but there had been a thread -- probably trollish -- posted by an alleged teacher with a very obnoxious, somewhat racist parent -- the teacher had issues with the parent saying their kid didn't need to study English because he was a minority with a work ethic and would get scholarships anyway based on math talent, and then insulting the teacher. A second thread had the "teacher" sleeping with the parent after the parent helped them with car trouble.

It was such an absurd thread I loved it. I wish I still knew where it was.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 4, 2020

I remember that. Sounded like one of those bad made for tv movies or self published Kindle books LOL

41. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2020

Now that's a walk down memory lane!