Is it over for this year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacherin2014, Aug 20, 2014.

1. teacherin2014

teacherin2014 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

I just graduated with a Master of Arts in Teaching degree back in May, in which I completed student-teaching and various practicums. I am in NJ and am dually certified to teach both social studies and psychology and want to teach at the high school level in a public school. I have applied for close to 50 positions, including several private schools and middle schools. While I have gotten several interviews and one demo lesson, I still do not have a full-time position for the 2014-2015 school year. I am still waiting to hear from two schools. School starts right after Labor Day with Board of Ed meetings and new teacher orientations being next week for both schools. I am assuming that if I was going to be called for an interview at either school that it would have happened already.

I feel as if the chances of me getting a full-time job at this point are slim-to-none. Am I correct in my assumptions? Did anybody in NJ get hired this late in the game for their first year?

I am starting to come to terms with the fact that I probably will not have my own students this fall, which has been extremely difficult. :( However, I am on the sub lists in two districts and will be checking job postings every day for LTS and maternity leave positions, so that I can try to get my foot in the door.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 20, 2014

There is still a chance, but things are starting to wind down in the rush to the classroom. Get on a bunch of subbing rosters if possible, and get some classroom experience (I learned so much classroom management while subbing). Things DO turn up mid-year.

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 20, 2014

I'm hoping there is still time. I don't think there is anything for the very beginning of the school year but it's possible for people to retire and take leave during the first half of the year. That's what I'm hoping for myself. Good luck to you!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

I agree with cat. There is always a chance that a teacher leaves last minute and they will need someone ASAP.

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 20, 2014

I bet if you were a coach of xyz you would get something. The problem is social studies is one of the lowest demand areas because so many have certifications, and it's not part of the new standardized tests yet like Algebra, Bio or Literature.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

While it's true that most SS positions go to coaches, I know in TX students are required to take a state assessment in US History.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2014

People still get hired this late in the season. Sometimes even after the year begins.

I hate being a negative person, but in reality, you will likely have a more difficult time finding a job than most people. Not only are you social studies (which is the most over saturated subject), but you are alternative route. You are going to have to find a way to really stand out.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

My first job came at the end of the first semester. The teacher went on leave, later retired. Very few applicants, but I almost didn't apply - I saw myself as a middle school teacher. I would still love MS, but I have settled into HS just fine.

10. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

It's probably over to start in September but you could be like me and get hired in December. Jo s still come up after school starts and you just need to be on top of things.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2014

Unfortunately, I agree here. at my school, everyone has their S.S. endorsement. It's pretty common. I agree that if you had coaching experience or something else in demand, that would be an eye catcher on the resume. Is there anything you can think to add to your qualifications?

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2014

Since you are from NJ, let me make a couple of suggestions, which you are free to ignore. You have endorsements that may someday get you your dream job, but I read the want-ads, and they are at the bottom of the list. Make yourself more marketable. You must have enough undergrad classes to teach ELA in middle school, and you may have enough to add math in middle school, both much more frequently advertised for. A Praxis is involved, submission of your transcript for evaluation, and a fee to the state, but you are now starting to be more desirable to a lot of districts. If you have enough science credits, that works to. You only need 15 undergraduate credits in these endorsements to make it work. If you test well, the Praxis exams are a walk in the park. I would even go for the K-6 Elem. Ed. cert, since SS might would be important there as a hook for a job in the upper elementary.

You need to make yourself marketable for as many positions as possible for the "foot in the door" first job that will send you on your way, especially since you have your masters degree. You are going to be higher on the starting salary guide, so give them more value for the money, so to speak. Hope for HS, but be realistic and teach whatever is available. I know that no one wants to reinvent themselves, but it is a buyer's market in a saturated market, so instead of being down about what you can't change, change what you can. Good luck. (and yes, I have practiced what I preach) :2cents:

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

ICAM. Secondary social studies teachers are a dime a dozen and in many states, students only need to pass state exams in Math, Science and English to graduate. Also, in many states, you only need 2 or 3 social studies courses to graduate so many schools can get away with having very few social studies teachers.

14. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 23, 2014

Nope I'm in NJ as well and we still have 5 open positions. Keep trying.

15. hopesma

hopesma Rookie

Aug 23, 2014

Don't give up quite yet! I got my first teaching job in the afternoon and was asked if I could attend a new teacher training the very next day. They had a teacher move at the last minute and I had been recommended to her by a mutual contact.

I know in my district at least in the past, they have hired people right before and during new teacher orientation as well as the first few weeks as classes fill up. I know they have tried to limit that in the last year for budget reasons but it could still happen.

All the best to you, it is so stressful waiting to figure out how the year will look.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2014

I was looking for postings today. I was surprised by the number of new postings that I found. I don't remember ever seeing this many so late in the game before.