Is it okay to visit the school after an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissPapa, Sep 4, 2013.

1. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

My mom is telling me to visit the school I last interviewed after an interview due to them telling me they'd call back and they didn't. I already called them yesterday, but the secretary told me the principal was busy and would take a message. No calls back.

I'm really getting hopeless and restless. School starts on the 9th and I do not want to be a sub. I am literally crying over this.

Should I pay a visit to the school? Advice is definitely appreciated. Thank you!

3. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

Don't visit the school - this could create a very uncomfortable situation for both you and the secretary and/or admin. They will call you if you are selected for a position.

4. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

I would definitely not visit the school. I agree with the previous poster that it will create an uncomfortable situation for all involved. I would really leave the ball in their court...you already left a message and they will call you back if you are selected. Unfortunately, it's all a waiting game and not all principals have the decency to let you know either way (for your closure).
    I know it's tough to wait it out...I've been there too. But, you also don't want to make it uncomfortable and then get ruled out for any future positions as well. Good Luck!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2013

I agree that visiting the school is not the answer. I know it stinks when they say they will call either way and then they don't, but principals get busy and making phone calls gets pushed further and further down on their to do list. I'm afraid that if you visit the school, it will turn the principal off of considering you for this position or any other future position, and word may leak out to other nearby principals.

6. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

This was advice from my mom. My boyfriend is telling me to just call again, being that that's the lesser of two evils, yet it shows that I'm persistent in trying to get a job instead of coming off as a stalker lol

Thanks everyone. Wish me luck…I really need a full-time job...

7. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

Correction: Call thursday, not today. I'll be willing to call one more time. Chances are the principal is backed up. Still want to show I'm interested. Thanks again, you guys and my boyfriend saved me from possible humiliation and a possible career screwup! Knew it was a bad idea :p

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 4, 2013

Do you have the principal's email address?

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2013

I wouldn't visit. I wouldn't call again, either, to be honest. :(

10. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

TeacherNY - No I don't :/

Should I really not call again? I'm being told to call her. Meh.

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

Also, the secretary took my message. Not sure if that message actually WENT to the principal.

12. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

I agree with Justme...I would not call the school again either. I know it's tough because you want a definite answer, but I think the 1st call shows that you are persistent, the 2nd call will border on annoying. Also, it's not going to score you any points by calling again and implying that the secretary did not relay the message.
    Honestly, I think you did the right thing by following up and now you just need to wait. Be prepared to not hear back...some principals just do not follow through, whether they are busy or for whatever other reason. They will contact you if they want you for the job.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 4, 2013

If they were selecting you for the position the principal would NOT forget to call you. If this was sometime in July I would say call again but it's already September and things can get pretty hectic right about now.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2013

DO NOT CALL AGAIN.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 4, 2013

Who is telling you to call?? Anyone who has ever worked with a principal should be telling you NOT to call. I'm thinking the people pushing you are not in the Education field.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 4, 2013

Do not call again. Our secretary passes all messages to the p.

17. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

Thanks guys. And yup, they aren't in education. They're just "trying to help me". Meh, I wish it was that easy. It's more frustrating hearing their suggestions because I know it's not a good idea.

I'm just going to pray that I get a call within the next two days, whether it's a job offer or another interview. Otherwise, more subbing for me :/

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2013

What exactly would you say if you did visit?

And, again, let me repeat something I just posted in another thread:

LOTS of districts around here are closed for the next 2 days because of the Jewish Holy Days. If you're anywhere near metro NYC, don't expect to hear anything until at least Monday.

19. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 4, 2013

Like I said, it was a dumb suggestion pushed by someone, so figured I'd ask for advice. And yea, I figured. I think with everything falling in one week, they are backlogged due to only having two days this week (didn't realize it was Rosh Hoshana this week, that explains everything!). I also learned that they still hire teachers even after school starts.

Sorry, stress makes you think differently!

20. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

Family/friends are always giving me "advice", too. They tell me to call the school to schedule an appt with a principal to give my resume or to just walk in and ask to see the principal. "Ummm..it doesn't work like that unfortunately".

Everyone tries to be supportive and helpful, but sometimes their advice is not helpful at all.

I am hoping that with the Jewish holiday this week, that perhaps, some schools may need to hire once school officially starts on Monday. Idk, I feel like I am just grasping at straws because I know a new wave of diappointment will come next week if I don't hear anything. Fingers crossed for us both :)

21. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

I hear you guys on the "advice" from family and friends. I know they are just trying to be helpful but it's really not. I just say "Thank you, but that doesn't work in education." That combined with the "OMG how don't you have a job yet?!!?!?!!?! Are you not trying?!?!?!" from my friends who believe the teacher shortage myth gets annoying after a while.

Anyway OP, I echo everyone else who says not to visit or call again. It's out of your hands now and you did everything that you could. Best of luck to you!

22. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

Sunshine - I'm HOPING that happens. It's possible! The principals only had two days to work due to Labor Day and Rosh Hoshana landing on the same week. Fingers crossed for us both!

RedStripey - Thank you!

Yea that's why I asked for advice from people in the education field (couldn't ask my friends who I went to school with because THEY got lucky…and I'm sad about it…)

There are some people I or someone else knows that is trying to get me in. They possibly couldn't do it this week due to the very short week.

In the meantime, I'm just keeping myself distracted. Working on a creative project until either I get calls for interviews or when I start subbing again. Or both. Unfortunately I am an emotional person and disappointments on getting a job is putting me down ALOT. Hence why I'm in need of finding ways to distract myself. I hope something within the year pops up, it could happen.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2013

MissPapa~I'm pretty emotional too and when I was going through my job hunt....well, some days it wasn't pretty to be around me. :( I'm glad that you have projects to keep you busy! That helps. Hopefully the calls start coming after the holiday!

24. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

I can't ask my friends whom I graduated with either. 99 percent of them got jobs right away somehow (Many of them were middle/high school which is probably why but a good amount of them were elementary!! And none of them had to move for a job). I think that's why I'm so frustrated. I didn't expect to get a job right away but when you see other people who graduated at the same time as you and did all the same things as you getting hired it makes you think something is wrong with you. :dizzy: I guess I just don't know the right people, haha.

Again, good luck to you MissPapa and I hope you hear from the principal next week.

25. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

I guess following a teacher forum does help get through disappointments! I'll definitely update you guys if anything happens :)