Is it okay to show cleavage at school?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, May 5, 2010.

1. City Girl

City Girl Rookie

May 6, 2010

Totally inappropriate. I think it is okay to wear sandals with straps but not flip flops, and if so it should be worn with long pants. Just the other day, I saw a teacher wearing TIGHT, WAY LOW CUT jeans and she wore it with a shirt with a knot tied at the bottom, showing more skin than necessary. Let's just say when MISS THANG sits down, her students will see more than they should. :dizzy:

BTW: They were on a field trip.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 6, 2010

I wear a tank under anything that I even think is low cut. I work with middle school students..enough said. And if I have to get onto female students for showing too much, then I need to set that example.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 6, 2010

Last school year started with a single mastectomy. Not only was I "not myself" but it was August before both sides of me were the same size again. Under doctor's orders, I had to go braless for a week in February when the burns from radiation started to get bad.

I teach in a coed high school; needless to say I wore a blazer to school every single day last year.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 6, 2010

Not okay! I think that admin wants to avoid insulting people and any conversation about how you dress is sure to be met with anger. A friendly reminder in a newsletter might be a good solution though.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 6, 2010

I've found friendly reminders to the whole population DOES NOT work, unfortunately.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 6, 2010

And sometimes they breed resentment in those who are already following the rules, but feel they're being corrected when they've done nothing wrong.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 6, 2010

I haven't seen a written dress code in 17 years of being in the same district. We have all kinds of variety in dress, but I only worry about myself. We have no written dress code, and I'm not an administrator. It's not my issue.

I always make an attempt to look "put together" by being clean, neat, and moderately "fashionable". I wear plenty of v-neck and scoop neck shirts, and I'm rather well-endowed, but I'm also not really ever in a position to bend over to show cleavage either. I'm way past the mini-skirt age, but I'm all about high heels. I wore a pair of knee-length dress shorts and 3-inch heels one day last week.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 6, 2010

I do not think it is appropriate. We dress very casually at my school, but cleavage obviously is not allowed, though I have seen, at certain times, certain teachers wearing certain questionable tops; however, a few months ago our coordinator reminded us in our meeting about being careful of our tops. I think I know exactly who was meant to hear that comment.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 6, 2010

I didn't mean to use the word "certain" so many times in one paragraph. It's like I don't know myself.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 6, 2010

NO! I'm very liberal in most of my views, but not this one. I see it all the time and it freaks me out that teachers think it's okay. I feel the same way about super skin tight tops, which I also see. I'd rather see arms covered with tattoos and pink hair than cleavage.

11. Sagette

Sagette Companion

May 7, 2010

Not appropriate! I am so conservative when I dress for school; I wear a camisole under almost every top, just for added protection in case I lean over. However, some of the clothes I see on my colleagues have me scratching my head as to how they get away with it.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2010

I dress professionally.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 8, 2010

Now some people may think this is a little extreme, but it's a good idea for all schools to do. Some people don't realize how revealing their clothes are...I personally have no idea why not! If they'd just take that little extra time in the morning to give a once over in a mirror & maybe lean over & raise their arm to see if everything's still good, then they're good to go.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 8, 2010

This is our dress code - I think the problem is that some people don't know what professional dress IS. You would think cleavage in a school = not even an option, but I guess some people just don't care.

I'm with whoever said shopping can be difficult - I don't have much in the way of cleavage, and buying fitted shirts is depressing at times... but all it takes is a little extra time at the store to find something professional, cute, AND appropriate.

It's hotter than heck here most of the year, and all of the classrooms at my school open to the outdoors. When it's cooler, I'm with Alice; I'll wear button-up shirts, jackets, tailored pants, and dress shoes. When it's hot - I wear skirts (and every one is knee-length); dressy sandals; and a cute top. But all of my tops have to pass the "bend-over" test - and if there's even a tiny question - no matter how hot it is - there's a cami on underneath. Can't do hose, though - it's just too tortuous when it's 90 degrees with 80% humidity.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 8, 2010

We don't have a formal dress code, because it's not an issue at our school. We all dress professionally. Jeans are allowed at our discretion (i.e. if I am planning a particularly messy art activity, or it's my 3rd day of recess duty in a row in winter etc.). I am always covered, and I think I wear nice outfits. Nothing is ever showing, because I am a professional.

16. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 9, 2010

Although I am in very casual California, I am with the crowd about not showing "stuff". At the HS level, there are dress codes - how do we get them to comply about not showing the three Bs - breasts, bellies and bottoms - if we do not lead by example??

17. Kase

Kase Companion

May 9, 2010

That's what I was taught in school. My professor gave us a sheet with little stick figures with different positions to do. I never realized there were so many ways of checking for skin.

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 9, 2010

Never ok. It distracts the kids, even in primary. lYeah for my P. who went to one of the offenders and said plainly "Your outfit is too revealing. Please put on a sweater or something."

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 9, 2010

Now that I think about it, we do not have to worry about cleavage showing at my school because it is so cold in the building that we walk around with 5 layers of clothes on.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 9, 2010

My mom doesn't even think teachers should wear tops that don't come down long enough to completely cover their butts, but I know most people do that.