Is it okay to ask...........

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BASAM, Jun 6, 2009.

1. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 6, 2009

Why are there so many postions opening at this school?

I have an interview Monday and there are 6 positions listed, which is a little less than half of all the teachers there. Is it okay to ask why there are so many postions opening, or is it better left unsaid.

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

I think it would be okay to ask!
    There are so many things that could contribute to such a high turnover rate (good and bad) and I think it would be great to know that answer.

It could maternity leave, promotions, increase in pupil attendance, additional programs beginning (reading recovery, special education, bilingual, esl, life skills, etc.), military town (teachers are military and move with sig. other when it's time?), lots of stuff!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2009

I don't think I would.

If there's some sort of a problem, I doubt they'll admit it.

I just think I would let it go.

5. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jun 6, 2009

I would not ask that question.

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

Odds are you will see if there are major issues in the interview ..questions they ask ( specific behavior management questions, dealing with authority ) Keep your eyes open when you are in the school ..I would not ask that question though

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2009

I wouldn't ask.

However, is there a new school opening near by? When I got hired, there were 5 positions open in my small school of 22 teachers. The 5 teachers that left all moved to a brand new school nearby.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

Everyone assumes the worst, it's very likely that there is a situation like that (new school opening up, new programs at current school, new subdivision in the boundary lines, etc.)

It would make me nervous to apply at a school if I didn't know why there were so many openings.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2009

I'm not assuming the worst.

But I think that if it's for any of those good reasons, they'll be bragging about it and asking won't be necessary.

My school has a pretty decent turnover. We tend to hire a lot of young teachers-- some aren't cut out for teaching, and others opt for public schools after a year or two.

But I would be surprised if someone I was interviewing asked me about it.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2009

I don't think I would ask the question. I would definitely keep eyes and ears open for any little hint of anything wrong. Good luck!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2009

I probably wouldn't ask that question. But I would be really nervous about it. The school I worked for last year, had a really, really high turnover rate (like out of the six teacher who taught my level, four were new teachers, one moved from another grade level and the other teacher had only been there one year). Looking back that should have been an indication of things to come. This school could have that many openings for different reasons. I think that if there is a good reason, they will probably tell you in the interview why there are so many openings, but asking it probably won't get you an honest answer. Good luck with the interview!

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 6, 2009

I wouldn't ask the question, but do what the PP said and keep your eyes/ears open at the school, questions, etc.

Good Luck!

13. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 6, 2009

Is there anyway you can speak with a teacher at the school to find out what the real story is.You would not hear it from the administration.You might also see if you can speak to a student before or after class. You would be surprised how much you can learn from them.
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions,but so many openings is not usually a good sign.