Is it OK to push a grade to the next grade period?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Mar 27, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2011

They have so many writing grades. I have two or three that I haven't corrected yet and want to use them for fourth quarter, even though they did them in the third quarter. Does it really matter when I use the grade? Will anyone care? My admin will not, students will not. Parents? Probabably not...

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

I do that regularly, and I let my students know.

It takes a while for me to enter grades and comments and whatnot, and we have a pretty limited amount of time to do that. For that reason, my gradebook needs to be closed and finalized a few days before the end of the grading period. Anything that happens in the last few days of the quarter will get entered in the next quarter's scores. I don't think there's anything unethical or deceitful or anything about that, especially since I advertise my policy well.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2011

I do it. I don't think it is a big deal if they know. I have also done the opposite - wanted to give the kids an extra day or two on a paper or test, but I wanted it counted in the marking period that is just ending. So I just let them know - this will be on x marking period grades.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 27, 2011

Our parish really frowns on it. We are required to post grades within 5 days of giving it and they must be recorded on the day given. We've even had a few teachers written up for gradebooks not matching.

6. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 27, 2011

I also do it. And as other posters have said, I make sure to let my students know which quarter the grade will count towards.

I don't really think it's a big deal. It gets really stressful to get all the grades in at the end of the quarter!

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 27, 2011

It depends. If they are from 2-3 weeks prior to the end of the quarter and you have yet to grade them, it can be an issue. If it is papers submitted within a week prior to the end of the quarter, the kids are informed when they receive the assignment that it counts for the next quarter.

Time from the quarter end will probably influence whether or not it is seen as an issue and how much weight the grades hold.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

Clear it with administration.

We're not allowed to, with the exception of last trimester Seniors. (THey graduate early, and their last trimester is short!)

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 27, 2011

Our grades are cumulative, so they really are like glorified progress reports at the nine weeks. So I carry things over all the time.

10. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 27, 2011

I do that too - but only for essays. If they're due close to the end of the grading period, I tell students that they will apply to the next quarter. I always have students who are absent or turn things in late, so I don't want to worry about not having them to grade. Plus with over 100 students, grading essays takes a while.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 27, 2011

We are required to have 2 grades per student, per subject, per week. I enter grades twice per week, usually on Mondays and Thursdays. Whatever grades I have on Monday go on Monday's entry. Whatever grades I have on Thursday go on Thursday's entry. I enter all assignments as "WS 3.1 3/22/11" so it lists the actual assignment and the date it was given, but it might be entered in the computer on 3/24/11. Does that make sense? That way, I have my 2 grades per week (at least), and parents still know what day the assignment was given.

The same applies to ends of quarters.

12. rbschreiber@gma

rbschreiber@gma Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

There are times for essays it's just necessary depending on timing. For this current third quarter, we wrap up a unit just as the quarter is ending and for timing sake the essay is literally due on the last day of the quarter, so obviously they won't be graded for those report cards. I try not to do it often, but sometimes it's necessary.

13. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 28, 2011

I do it often. I usually cut grades off 3 days before the quarter ends. I do it because we have 2 work days and a weekend (I do not work on the weekends) to enter grades. This allows me to get grades up to date by the last day of the quarter. Kids know which assignments go on the next quarter.

14. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 28, 2011

I would LOVE to have work days to enter grades. Our P doesn't give us ANY. We're expected to do it over the weekend. :rolleyes: Please.

I took a sick day today so I could stay home and get my work done. If she's not going to give us a work day, I'll take my own!

15. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 28, 2011

I agree. As long as they are given notice it is not a big deal. If it was something major like a test or project, I would probably just grade it and get it in. If its just a few small assignments I would just push them to the next quarter.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011

You do whatever you have to, they are your students, your grades, its all up to you.

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2011

I like this post! Haha...

Here is the deal; we pushed like crazy in third quarter to prepare for the state writing test. So we have tons of writing grades. Now that it is over, we are pushing for math/science/reading for the big state test in May. I want to push some of those writing grades into fourth quarter because we won't be spending time on writing now. That way I will still have writing grades for fourth quarter. Makes sense to me...

18. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011

Sounds good to me.

19. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 28, 2011

Heavens,

I like your idea it's better to push some of the assignments back then to discover in June that you do not have enough grades to clearly show student progress. I do this sometimes too. For example, my Senior AP government students have a pretty big research paper that is due on Friday, which is the end of our second Trimester. Since, I have plenty of grades for this term and next term is extra short for my Seniors I will push the Research Paper grade to the final trimester.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 29, 2011

After posting about not being able to, it all changed today. I have a major math test tomorrow (the last day of the six weeks) and we did a small activity today. My principal suggested I hold both grades for the last six-weeks. Of course that might have something to do with the 19 grades I have in math this six weeks! lol

21. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 29, 2011

Actually, we aren't given days to do grades. We still have classes and teach. We enter grades sometime throughout the day when we aren't teaching. Doing grades isn't at all stressful for us because we send out grade progress reporte every three weeks. We all stay caught up on grading, so there is no crunch time at the end. It works well for us.

22. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Mar 29, 2011

It would be frowned upon at my school (not to say it never happens.)

The end of our 2nd quarter falls in Jan. when we have a lot of snow and many snow days. Sometimes we see our students >10 days and have to close grades so occasionally those assignments get pushed back if they need corrected but more often than not our district may extend the grading period by a week.

Otherwise, we use an online gradebook and have some parents who check religiously. We are required to keep grades updated every 3 weeks and send progress reports home every 4-5 weeks. Our grades are not cumulative... Everyone starts out with a blank slate with each new quarter. So, our admin assumes that each quarter should be a reflection of that quarter's ability.