Is it OK to be rude to telemarketers?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Feb 17, 2014.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 17, 2014

I swear, I feel like I'm bombarded at times, with cold calls asking me about home repairs, buying/supporting something, other weird correspondences. I try and be cordial, because I know that the person on the other end is just doing a job, and that's just the way I am. At the same time though, I personally consider phone and even door-to-door marketing, a form of harassment. I just want them to stop calling.

You know how they often start too:
    "Is the homeowner or ____ available?"

Me: "Yes, that's me."

"Hi how are you?"

Me: "I'm fine"

"Good. I'm from blah blah blah blah blah"

And they go on for a minute, making you listen to their shpeel, trying to hook you into a conversation. I hate to interrupt them ("hold on man. Before you even get started, I'm not interested in whatever you are peddling.") Because it is rude to do on my part, and it makes me feel bad after, as it is against my nature. At the same time, I have no intention of buying anything. I want to know a good way to stop these people from bothering me. Again IMO, I don't think this is just a form of business. On a certain level, I consider it harassment and I'm starting to really get ****** off when they do call (cause they call all the time).

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 17, 2014

Also door-to-door stuff. The religious guys come to the door and ask you:

"Hi, how are you?"

Me: "Fine."

Them: "Good. Do you ever think about the world?"

Me: "uh... " (I was just making my lunch. I'm not looking to engage in a conversation with a stranger.)

I don't want to engage, because I don't feel like a conversation at that point. Do those "No solicitator" signs work? I'm not trying to be a ****; but at the same time, I don't want to hear their noise. I also don't want to encourage them at all, because also, they are like pigeons: You feed them once, and they seem to flock to you now.

4. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 17, 2014

Honestly I just hang up. It may be rude, but so is what they are doing.

5. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Feb 17, 2014

6. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 17, 2014

Do you have caller ID? I don't answer unless I know the number. If the same number calls repeatedly, I just ask them to put me on the do not call list. There is also a national do not call number you can call and register your landline and cell phone.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 17, 2014

I don't answer the door or the phone if it's a person/number I don't recognize. If it's an important call they will leave a message.

8. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 17, 2014

My friend once told a religious group to hold on while she got her bible so they could compare their religion. They fled the moment she turned to grab her bible. They haven't returned.

I find two large, black dogs tend to keep people off of my property. Little do they know my dogs would lick them to death.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 17, 2014

It may be annoying, but telemarketers themselves are generally not trying to be rude. They're trying to earn a living. I did telemarketing for a philanthropic organization for a few months while in college. It was that or starve - literally. It is not a fun job. People will just tell off on you, laugh at you, and hang up on you. Personally, I preferred the hang ups more than the others. We had to follow a set script and could not end the call unless we heard these words: "Do not call me ever again and remove me from your call list." So, that is what I suggest you politely tell the telemarketers.

By the way, I hate telemarketing calls too, but I say those words I just told you to say and that usually helps. That's if I get a live person. Robocalls annoy me more than anything else. I avoid the vast majority of telemarketing calls overall by screening with caller ID.

By the way, I am registered with donotcall.gov as well. It certainly doesn't prevent all telemarketing calls. There are many loopholes and companies that don't follow regulations because there isn't too much policing of them.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2014

My stock response, as soon as they start, is, "I'm not interested, thank you." Then I hang up. Rude, maybe, but I'm really not interested in giving them any of my time.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 17, 2014

Just say you're not interested and hang up. Or don't answer the door. You can also put up a sign that says no soliciting, and then just point to it, if they still try.

I don't like people coming to my house. Just 2 days ago a man came, rang the doorbell, I opened the door. The metal security door was still closed and locked, and I talked to him through it. He said he was from some energy company (which I heard as it was the local Gas and Electric, but it was another one), never showed me his id, but I saw it hanging, and it was covered by his jacket. (which looked suspicious)
    He said he could offer discounts, he just needed to see my bill.

This sounded fishy, and after what I've been through the past year (break in, attempted car theft, slashed tires, and just last month ATM card was hacked) I wasn't about to open the door or show him my bill with my name on it. Told him I had no idea where my bill is, he said he'd wait while I search. ??
    That made it even more suspicious.
    Told him I'm not interested.

Later on, the more I thought about it, the more I freaked out, because I know from time to time burglars disguise themselves as utility workers.
    So I posted this on FB and it turns out he was from Ambit energy, they offer energy discounts, etc.

Still, it was scary.

This morning and 2 days ago a guy in a white truck rang my doorbell. I didn't open the door. The only person he could be is a maintenance guy from my rental company, but they're supposed to call ahead and he didn't leave any note the first time. Other than that, I have no idea why he'd come twice.

I'm very suspicious to opening the door to anyone. The phone can be avoided, just hang up or don't answer at all.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2014

Ditto this and caller ID.

IF I do answer one of those calls I either tell them I'm on 'do not call' or I hang up.

I also have a 'no solicitors' sign above my doorbell.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

Nothing rude, imo with hanging up... they'd much prefer their call time to be shorter if you're not buying what they're selling anyway.

I wouldn't be mean though. They are just doing their job, as annoying as it may be to us. I've never been in an outgoing call centre, but I've worked for Eddie Bauer as an incoming order representative. I don't think I could handle working outgoing, but some people have to do it.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2014

Yes on the Do Not Call list. I've been on the list for years and rarely get calls. When I do get calls, usually from political groups, I just stop them before they get started, ask them to please put me on their Do Not Call lists (most groups have one), and say goodbye. There doesn't need to be any drama. I don't even think it's rude to interrupt them because I know that they'd rather spend their time talking to someone who is interested in what they have to say.

I never answer my door unless I am expecting someone/something. Opening your door to strangers is a great way to be the victim of a home invasion. In my town a few months ago there were two men who posed as Mormons in order to get into someone's home in order to steal stuff. They were successful.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2014

I just don't answer. Ever!
    I figure if it is my bank or something important, they will leave a message!

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 17, 2014

Ditto! I never answer the phone or door unless I know who it is.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2014

I hate when random people knock on the door! I always feel like I have to hide so they can't see me!!!

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2014

Love it when they start with, "I'm not trying to sell you anything..."

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2014

I don't think it's okay to be rude with anyone, no matter their profession. I mean those guys at the call centers don't love their job, they're probably just doing it to make ends meet until they can get something better.

But if I get a telemarketer, I'd just hang up. I don't think that's rude.

When I get religious solicitors here in CR I just pretend like I don't speak Spanish. That hurries things along. (maybe I'll pull the same thing in the USA, except pretend I don't speak English!)

20. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Feb 17, 2014

Agreed. It's a personal pet peeve of mine. It's unnecessary.

I get a lot of telemarketer calls. I simply don't answer them. I have caller ID on my TV so I can see immediately if it's a number I recognize. Then I erase the message (if they leave one, many times they don't). I don't see why it's such a big deal.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2014

I don't answer the phone or door for people I don't know. Ever.

22. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 17, 2014

You make two interesting points.

1) Isn't just hanging up rude in itself? When you say you do that, do you mean you just click off, or do you try and interrupt their sales pitch to tell them you are not interested first.

2) I find doing things like pretending, demeaning to myself on some level. I'm not saying I don't do it because I do sometimes... but it makes me feel like I'm compromising myself, being a weasel. My dad used to tell them that he was unemployed, even though he really wasn't... and I used to find that off-putting.

23. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

I don't consider hanging up on an un-solicited call to be any more rude than someone making an un-solicited call.

I'm on the Do Not Call List and use Caller ID as well, but if I end up answering by mistake, I just click "End Call". Sometimes, I may say "No, Thank You" first, but not always.

One thing I firmly believe is that "Yes" and "No" are legitimate answers that do not necessarily require any further explanation. If a door-to-door seller comes to the house and says "Do you have a moment?" or "Can I tell you about this?" You can just say "No" and close the door. You don't have to be rude or ugly about it, but you don't owe them an explanation either.

I consider hanging up to be the phone-version of "No".

I do sympathize with the person on the other end. When I worked as a stockbroker, I had to make a minimum of 200 cold calls each day. I definitely preferred someone just hanging up if they weren't interested. I didn't take any offense. I just dialed the next number.

24. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

However, I will confess I sometimes like to have a little fun with telemarketer. My best, spur of the moment response occurred when the phone rang one night just as I and the family were sitting down to eat. The conversation went like this.....

Me: "Hello?"
    John: "Hi. My name is John and I'm calling you to..."
    Me: "JOHN! HEY MAN!!! How's it going? Man, I've been waiting ALL DAY for you to call!!!!!"

*couple of moment of stunned silence*

Me "No....not really." *click*

25. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 17, 2014

I like answering the phone to telemarketers. It gives me a chance to practice my rusty Spanish.

26. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 17, 2014

I don't answer my door unless I'm expecting company. All my friends and family call before they come over even if it's a literal "hey, I'm downstairs in your parking lot, let me in!"

As for phone calls, I don't answer the house or cell phone unless I recognize the number. On the very rare occasion that I do, I usually say, "No thank you" and hang up before they can finish.

I'm going to start doing what one of the other posters said about saying, "No thank you remove me from your call list"

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2014

I don't answer either. And if by chance I answer the phone & they ask if Mr or Mrs so and so are there I say no...

I babysat for a child whose mother passed away & this was before caller ID...The child answered & the person must of asked is you mother there and child said No she died. I kind of giggled to myself thinking...I wonder what that telemarketer must be thinking with a child saying that....

28. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2014

My guess is that they would prefer you hang up on them unless you are truly interested in whatever they are selling.

The less time wasted, the better for them.

29. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 18, 2014

This.

John Lee, it may be considered rude in personal communication to hang up, but with telemarketers, one of their stats is time on call, so listening to their spiel, and then saying no thank you is a bit of a letdown, as it hurts their stats, which can affect employment, bonuses, etc. Much better to hang up.

30. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 18, 2014

The literacy teacher in me gets the giggles because they read their scripts with NO expression or intonation. That usually halts the conversation. One evening I started giggling at the young man's quick change to a monotone script and he asked me why I was laughing. I explained and he told me it was his first night and he was doing his best. I told him he could practice on me,, but I wouldn't be buying anything.

Usually I just don't answer, though.

31. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 18, 2014

I think it's rude to hang up on someone. That's my opinion so I don't do it, though I can understand why people get frustrated by them. To answer your question, I think it's up to you.

I haven't had a home phone in... years (Is that a 90s thing?) and I don't normally get calls like that on my cell. But in situations where I have answered a telemarketer's call, I am polite but at the same time I don't feign interest in their service. I don't for their benefit because I realize they have other people to call who could be interested.

For me, I don't see the point in hanging up. It takes all of fifteen, twenty seconds to let them know that while you appreciate their call, you're not interested, have a great day!

I've gotten visits from Jehovah Witnesses. I always find myself offering them lemonade or a soda because it seems like they choose to come knocking when it is 100 degrees out. I invite them in, we chitchat, they are polite and ask if they can leave some reading material. They leave. Takes all of ten minutes.

32. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 18, 2014

My spouse's business computers have to run through a landline so I would guess it really is a necessary evil in our case. We did decide to keep a landline because of trying to reach 911 in an emergency. Having two young children in the house made us feel it was well worth the extra money.

33. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 18, 2014

Cell reception is horrible at my house even with boosting devices. I can't count on being able to have a cell phone conversation at home. A 90s thing? No. A necessity.

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 18, 2014

I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. If it's important, they'll leave a voice mail.

If someone comes to the door and I don't know them, I don't answer (I always look through the peephole).

35. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 18, 2014

...I was kidding. Though I honestly don't know anyone with a home phone. My point was that I rarely deal with telemarketers. :D

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2014

I've had unsolicited callers on my cell. :mad:

37. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 18, 2014

That's so weird. I've never gotten calls like that on my cell. Not even anybody looking for someone else lol.

I still get emails in my spam from Nigerian royalty wanting me to marry them and transfer $6000 to their overseas account. I don't answer them. I guess that's rude :(

38. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Feb 24, 2014

Most of them don't care if you hang up. If you insult them though, that I find to be something pretty rude. Keep in mind, that telemarketing is a part time job that has a high turnover, so they are usually people that are having trouble finding work, and generally nobody really wants to be a telemarketer, they just need income at least temporarily.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2014

Thought of this thread on Saturday when I had two guys at the door who were "selling" lawn care and just wouldn't take no for an answer. I think I ended up being rude (although I had politely told them, more than once, that I wasn't interested).