Is it ok to ask..?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by StarrShine2, Jul 26, 2010.

1. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

At the end of the interview, I've usually been asked, "do you have any questions for us?" Which I always have a few planned. One question I ALWAYS want to ask but NEVER do is something along the lines of "when will I hear back, and will I hear back one way or the other?"

Any principals out there...or people on the hiring committee or anyone in general know what is and is not appropriate regarding this?

Thanks!

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I have been on many interview panels and that would be perfectly acceptable. As I am leaving I would also include something like, "Thank you and I can't wait to hear from you."

4. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 26, 2010

I have asked before. I have used: What is your timeline for making a decision to fill the position?

Most of the time they have always told me when they were expecting to make their decision, not that I have heard back from them all.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2010

:
    :yeahthat:

6. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

I have been on interviewing committees and have heard that question often. No problem...if the person doesn't ask we usually tell them.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2010

I agree with the others. I've always asked "What's the next step in the process?" as my question.

8. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I always like to research about the school, and then base my end of interview questions on that. It shows you put time into researching the school.

The schools that I felt I did well interviewing for, or were really interested in, as I was walking out and shaking their hands I asked when a decision would be made. I never included in the interview. Not that I didn't want to; I just didn't think to ask during it.

9. AhoyHoy

AhoyHoy Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I think it's perfectly fine to ask, but, like others said, I would phrase it along the lines of "what is the timeline for filling the position?"

10. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I would stick with this....from my experience you'll pretty much know if you have the job when you leave the room. The times that I've been hired, at the end of the interview the principal would say something like, "I'll be in touch soon" or "you'll hear back by the end of the week".