Is It Odd That I Like Beachy/Sea Decor, but Don't Care for the Beach?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2014

It's true! I like the idea of the beach & beachy home decor, such as shells, sea glass, fish, sailboats, octopus, certain other sea creatures, ocean/beach scenes, etc. & have several beachy/sea-themed items throughout my apt & love sea-themed & shell jewelry, yet I can't stand actually going to the beach & only go once every 1-3 yrs & that's only because my BF loves it.

Firstly, I don't swim...ever. I don't really know how, but I've taken swimming lessons a couple of times (last time as a teen). Secondly, sitting out on a blanket on the sand, even if I have reading material w/ me just seems so boring! Thirdly, I can't stand being out in the sun. I'm only out in the actual sun when I'm walking to/from my car or walking around an outdoor shopping mall while trying to walk in shade as much as possible. I need to start carrying my umbrella. To me, heat + the ocean water + sticky/clamy air = uncomfortability.

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 3, 2014

I know what you mean! I love blues and greens, mermaids and swimming. I even like walking the board walk and the breeze that comes off the water. I think the ocean is beautiful. but I don't really like the beach unless it's somewhere like Hawaii with crystal clear water. Even then I feel a little leery because of jelly fish, sharks and other sea creatures. Logically I know my chances of being hurt are low but still. I also hate how sand gets in my suit and crevices. Not a fan of heat either which sucks b/c my friends and family always want to go places like jamaica, bahamas, Bermuda and other super hot areas. :( cruises that go to cooler places tend to cost more. DH has promised me he'll take to a cooler destination when I finish grad school. :thumb:

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2014

I would HIGHLY recommend learning how to swim. It can easily save your life. Each year there are deaths that could have been prevented if the person knew how to swim.

I prefer the pool to the beach. I'm sensitive to heat so if I'm at the pool, I'm in the shade or in the pool.

I love the beach in cool weather though. I love the sand.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2014

Yep, I do love the colors of the beach as well! Regarding tropical vacations, I've been to a few beachy locales (Bahamas, Hawaii, Cabo San Lucas) & that's probably THE ONLY time I'll go to the beach in a non-reluctant manner...because I'm on vacation & may not see that part of the world ever again, but I won't stay at the beach for long. I love cruises too & am willing to go to any part of the world they'll sail to.

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 3, 2014

Cruises are the best. I went on my first one last year and one of my favorite parts was the free room service. My BFF told me about it. When I returned home I mentioned it to my parents and they were blown because they've been on several cruises and had no idea about the room service. :lol: I'm sure when we eventually take a family cruises they'll order nonstop.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2014

Em, don't you like exploring all the different restaurants? My parents loved having different types of meals every night when they went this past year. I can't imagine wanting to stay cooped up in my room after paying all that money to be on a cruise! Easier to stay home and get delivery :lol:

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2014

I'm the opposite.

I love the beach, but beach-themed decor is not my style at all.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2014

I'm not so much into theme decor, but I don't think it's weird that you like beach decor. Many find the colors and scenes of the beach comfortable and serene.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2014

I like the look of the ocean, but hate the sand, so to me this makes perfect sense. Been in NJ a long time, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have braved the yucky sand, hoardes of people, and the long walk to the car. A couple of beaches in Florida, however, I will frequent every chance I get. They are laid back, clean, and fun. I still don't like finding sand in stuff weeks later, however!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2014

I enjoy the beach, but only when there aren't a million people there. My ideal beach is a rocky one, on a grey day, with no one else around except me and my sweetie. :)

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2014

I don't think it's odd. I love the beach but definitely do not like beach decor outside of beach condos. We spent last week at a beach cottage, and while it was very tastefully done, it was not my preferred decor. But...if I owned a beach cottage/condo that I rented out for part of the year, I'd definitely used a beach theme since renters would expect it.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2014

I love the beach but I'm NOT a fan of beach decor because it reminds me of retirement villages. :lol: Beach decor is REALLY big at our local Homegoods store. I don't "get it." :rolleyes:

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2014

Me too. I love the beaches at Norfolk naval base. The only time I like going to the beach is in October. We still have pretty nice weather, but the heat and humidity and crowds are gone.

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 4, 2014

We did some exploring and several excursions but it was also our honeymoon so we also enjoyed having some time "cooped up" in our room. ;) plus you can't call delivery all hours of the night here and all they really offer is pizza and Chinese food. On our cruise there was so much variety and they changed the menu. I was extremely satisfied. :thumb:

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2014

Our delivery is great here. We have cafe courier so you can literally get something from almost every restaurant you could ever desire.

17. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 4, 2014

We have a lot of really good places to eat in the area, but for some reason only pizza and 2 of the 6 Chinese places will deliver. That's probably for the best because if I had more variety, I'd never cook again. :lol:

I'd never heard of cafe courier until just now. I google'd it and would love if we had something like that in our area. I don't eat a lot of fast food anymore, but there are some sit down restaurants that fit my dietary needs. CC would be very convenient. :thumb: