Is it normal to be this terrified?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teacher112, Aug 23, 2009.

1. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Aug 23, 2009

My meet-and-greet is tomorrow night, school starts Tuesday. I am absolutely TERRIFIED. I know I am really excited but right now all i feel is nervousness. I am having serious anxiety. This is my first year by the way. Is this normal? What do I dooo???

3. athena83

athena83 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I was the same way last week! My meet and greet was Thursday. I was terrified but it was reassuring to talk to parents and meet most of my students. This is what I had:
    Powerpoint (about me, rules, etc. was just going since my meet/greet was come and go)
    Sign in sheet for parents (Contact Info/How student is going home the first day)
    Folders with school information (Admin gave them to us)

Relax and have fun with it !!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

We have our Meet the Teacher tonight as well! It is totally normal to feel this way. Those little kids are so excited about school - they might be a little shy so just have a big smile and hug and they'll love you! I have papers at the tables in my room. The parents walk around the tables to grab one of each paper (sign in, snack info, volunteer sign up sheet, transportation lists, a conference request basket and a supply sorting area). That keeps the parents somewhat busy and not totally up to me to "entertain" and I am able to small talk with everyone. I also give the kids their table tag and tell them to place it where they want to sit tomorrow. That way they can sit next to a friend for the first day and it lets me see who is good sitting near each other and what changes need to be made after that first day.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

YES, it's normal to be terrified, especially the first time!!

So many teachers are fine in front of the kids, but really hate talking to a group of parents.

Hang in there, and be as prepared as you can. Know that you're NOT expected to answer any real questions on particular kids; if those questions come up, explain that you would like to speak one-to-on about individual students and ask the parent to make an appointment at a better time.

And remember: those parents are not the enemy. They love those kids in a way that's hard to fathom. They want the best, and they just want to know that you want the best for their kids as well. Everything else is extra.

6. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Aug 24, 2009

Ok...the meet-and-greet went well!! The kids are adorable and most of the parents seem pretty nice!! The kids are SUPER nervous though. I am SO nervous for the first day tomorrow!!!! So, so nervous!!

7. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

Glad it went well! I have found that knowing I am prepared and then doing something else (watching t.v., computer etc..) to take my mind off it helps me. I know its easier said than done but try and relax tonight and get some sleep. You sound like you are very dedicated! Good luck tomorrow!

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

So you could read "First Day Jitters" because you have a connection! hehe

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

I still have first day jitters and this is my 6th year.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 25, 2009

My first year teaching I was really nervous about meeting the students. I was teaching ten kids in grade k-8th, four hours away from home. It went well, loved the year and have since moved home to teach kindergarten. It gets easier every year but I still get nervous.

11. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Aug 25, 2009

It is SO normal to feel that way at the beginning!!!!! Every year gets easier and easier..you will get your routines down, etc...and you will become less nervous each year!!! Your nervousness will turn more into excitedness (That's not a word? haha)

Good luck!! You will love first grade!

12. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Aug 26, 2009

I did read First Day Jitters and actually told the kids I was nervous. They were like, WHAT?! WHY??!

The first 2 days went ok. My class is very rowdy and talkative. I am going to have to crack down with behavior. I am just so overwhelmed with everything I have to do- I literally do not stop. Even when i come home all I do is school stuff. I stop to sleep. IS that normal the first year?!

I am trying to not get too stressed and just focus on how FORTUNATE I am to have a JOB.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

It's normal for the beginning of the first year.

Hang in there. The workload will ease up as things become more routine to both you and the kids. All the "starting the school year" stuff will end. And you'll learn how to pace yourself.

But a warning: Be very careful not to let your career overtake your life! Tomorrow is Friday. No matter how tired you are, make sure you take some time over the weekend to go hang out with friends. Hit the pool, go out for Sunday brunch... something that's not about school. New teacher burnout sometimes comes from teachers who can't or won't put their work aside to have a life outside the classroom.