Is it normal to be exhausted your first year teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FT2012, Dec 12, 2012.

1. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Dec 12, 2012

I'm a first year teacher and I'm constantly tired. Before I started teaching full-time, I would have the energy to do a million things after work. I would go to the gym and run a few miles. Now, all I want to do it so home, relax and maybe grade papers while watching TV. I've noticed I have less energy to do what I use to love. I'm cooking less, working out less and even doing less reading for pleasure, things like that.

Is this normal your first year? I want to get my energy back.

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2012

Yes, that is as normal and common as it gets. I have been teaching for years and I come home exhausted everyday, either physically tired or mentally done.

I also like to run, but find that I don't have the energy to run after work. So, a few years ago, I started going to the gym in the mornings before work. I have to get up at 4 am, three workdays a week, which adds to my afternoon exhaustion but it ensures that I get my workout in and it gives me a burst of energy in the morning. 4 am workouts are not for everyone, but you might want to try it.

Good luck in your first year!

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 12, 2012

I think it is because I can definitely relate!

5. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Dec 12, 2012

I am sure of it -- I am in my 5th year solid (6th year total) of teaching, and am still exhausted. :)

6. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Dec 12, 2012

YES!!! Your first year is physically, mentally, and emotionally draining. The good news is, it gets easier! Teaching is always tiring - we work hard - but it isn't as completely exhausting after the first year. I've always heard that it takes until about your 3rd year to really find your rhythm as a teacher, and I absolutely found that to be true. I'm now in my 8th year of teaching, and it has flown by, but I remember the challenges of those first few years well. Good luck, and know that what you are experiencing is totally normal!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 12, 2012

Being exhausted is very normal. (I hope). :)

8. Tek

Tek Comrade

Dec 12, 2012

You are not alone.

I have always been more of a homebody than someone who goes out all the time, but since I started teaching full time, I have become a MAJOR homebody. I find myself cherishing my Friday late afternoons as soon as I get off. I just want to head home before 4:30, relax the whole day/night, and use Saturday/Sunday as more rest up days.

I find myself cancelling a lot of acquaintance hang-outs. Just lost interest in heading out. I know I need to strike a better balance, but after a full week I'm so exhausted I just end up crashing at home.

Before, I taught part time and had soooo much time to hang out or go places. Heck, I had enough time and energy to travel to Africa!

But now that I work 40+ hours a week, I just want to stay home in my PJs whenever I can and physically and mentally rest, lol. I just love when Friday comes and the final bell rings. It means I'm "off" and do not need to worry about being "on" for 60 hours or so. It's a great feeling even though I enjoy the in-class moments too :)

I can't wait for XMas break ;)

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 12, 2012

Well I'm not going to pretend I ever worked out or anything, but I'm definitely exhausted.

I came home today at like 4 or 5 and crashed until just now about 8:30, so yeah, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep at my normal bed time today or not.

Everyday I wake up at 5:30, get to school by 6:30, rushing around and working and teaching until 2:30, then grading and prepping for the next day in the classroom until 4-5, drive home, eat something, and continue prepping and grading some more until about 10 or 11 every night.

Then getting up at 5:30 and doing it all over again.

I definitely need to re-evaluate my system. But it could also just be that this first year is destined to be hard because I need to create/find all of my resources.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 12, 2012

Yes. Even in year 20.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 12, 2012

I don't think it gets much better, either. I'm in my 5th year, and I am always exhausted. I fell asleep last Friday night at 6:15, and I didn't wake up until 4:30 am. :(

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2012

:haha:

I was all out sleeping in bed by four o'clock today. I woke up around eleven, ate a kinda-sorta supper, and now I'll be up until three in the morning like I've done for the past several days. I don't like this, mind you, but it's where I'm at right now. Year seven.

On a good note, I have exercised a bit two out of the last three days...in the middle of the night.

:dizzy:

13. ATXMusic

ATXMusic Rookie

Dec 13, 2012

It's my first year. When I get home, I have zero drive this year. I don't even choose a show on the TV to watch. I'm usually just sitting there, zoned out, until dinner time. Then I eat dinner and go to sleep.

One of my 5th graders drew a before and after picture of me. "First Day" was super happy looking. "14th Week" looked like a zombie and didn't even have pupils. They know I'm exhausted!

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2012

Aerobic exercise is your friend. If you can do it each day after work (30-45 minutes) you will get that energy back.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 13, 2012

I am on year 20 and I still have times of the year that I have to nap after school. I have a hard time sleeping this time of year because of the pressures fo testing and staying caught up.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2012

I think regardless of what year your in it's exhausting. This is year four and I just am sooo tired everyday when I get home. I sleep for about two hours right after school. I wouldn't be able to do anything if I didn't nap. I used to exercise 5 days a week. I'm lucky to fit in 3 days of exercise during the week. Teaching is just so demanding, and it's nonstop from the time the bell rings until they are dismissed.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 13, 2012

School gets out at 2:30. The other day, I got home around 4:00 and laid down. I planned to shut my eyes and rest for a few minutes because I was supposed to have dinner with my parents at 6:00. I had no intentions of actually falling asleep...just wanted to relax on the couch.

My phone rang at 6:15 and my mom was wondering where I was. When I answered the phone, I was disoriented and honestly thought it was morning and I had overslept for work.

Anyway--even after year eight, exhaustion still lingers!

18. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 13, 2012

Last year I fell asleep most days on the way home. That's how tired I was. I never seem to get to bed before 9.

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 13, 2012

Just woke from a "short" nap 3 hours ago. :lol:

Year 2 here. Still exhausted! No wonder half of us quit before Year 5. :eek:

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 13, 2012

Yes, it is. I felt exhausted my first year.

If you can find any time to exercise, I do find that helps. I also felt better by adding a daily vitamin and by eating better. I know it isn't easy to find time for exercise and cooking some healthy items, but any time you can spare for these do help a lot.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 14, 2012

Year 12 here, still exhausted, in some ways more so then when I first started teaching. :yawn: I blame it on the fact that I'm older, life is more stressful & since my kids are older, my youngest is in high school & plays sports, I'm always busy.

I try to get to bed by 9:30 p.m., but that doesn't happen every night. I try to not have places to go more then 1 night a week.

I need to make myself exercise.

22. applecore

applecore Devotee

Dec 14, 2012

Yes.

Year 4.