Is it normal to be cussed out daily by students as a substitute teacher

Discussion in 'High School' started by taylor914, Mar 15, 2019.

1. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Apr 10, 2019

Had a student to write f Ms. ____________ and the principal did nothing about it. But we're told to write it up if it happens, pfff..........

Reality Check likes this.
  2. Nicolebeason

Nicolebeason Rookie

Apr 27, 2019

Yep, been There as a substitute for a while - Substitutes are the "Rodney Dangerfields" of teaching - most get no respect.

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Apr 28, 2019

In some locations, absolutely. However, in my school district (can only use my school district because it is the only school district I have personally experienced), the majority of the students are respectful to the substitute teachers in high school. Middle school kids are usually rambunctious. Elementary students try to get away with interesting behaviors. (I have been teaching this particular class for 8-9 years now.) I have only had a couple instances where I was given a negative note about a student. When I can not be in school, my aide usually takes the reigns and directs the class. Substitute teachers, in my class, can not write up my students (But neither can I).

4. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Apr 30, 2019

I know your response was over a month ago, but for some reason, I overlooked it originally.

It seriously was like working in a zoo with wild animals.

I talked to some of my former teachers there and asked them how they think the culture of the school has evolved. They all had negative things to say about it. Part of the issue is the principal does not like disciplining the students or does not effectively discipline. When I was there, we had a different principal that was not afraid to lay down the hammer if she needed to do it. Of course we had some issues with certain students, but those issues were dealt with swiftly and effectively.

I see different stories on my social media accounts about issues at this school, and it seems to be getting worse.

5. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

May 10, 2019

What you have described is terrible. I have been there. I sub in 4 districts and have had exposure to a variety of students. It my area, schools in the big city (public) are really rough. Students in higher performing schools act much, much better. In fact, I would go so far as to say it is child abuse to send one's kid to a low performing school IF one has the option to bus out, move out, or go private.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

May 11, 2019

I feel that is a little harsh and unfair. I understand your point that having your kids at a low-performing school when you can afford a better option is may be not wise. However, it is not right to call it child abuse.

readingrules12 likes this.
  7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 11, 2019

This will keep being encouraged as long as you have spineless administrators.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 11, 2019

Yep. I think superintendents should sit all the principals in a room at every school in their district and just let them have it. P’s and VP’s need to stop giving students grace all the time and actually drop the hammer. I constantly hear about admin not disciplining students and I’m sick of it.

I’m glad my admin lay into students when they misbehave — the students deserve it.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 11, 2019

Agreed, but there is one problem. Superintendents are often the ones that are so concerned about their reputations that they are often even a bigger problem than the principals. Not saying all superintendents are like that, but from what I have seen and heard, superintendents tend to be more the problem than the answer.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 11, 2019

Good grief, does it ever end?