Is it normal to be cussed out daily by students as a substitute teacher

Discussion in 'High School' started by taylor914, Mar 15, 2019.

1. taylor914

taylor914 Rookie

Mar 21, 2019

My boss emailed me said we need to meet. I replied wondering what other information he would give about the intent of the meeting and he only said that I would find it "purposeful" which explains absolutely nothing.

At another district, about 3-4 months ago, a student wlaked out of the class with my cell phone, which I immediately tracked through my macbook & found the student had discarded it when the alarm went off. The principal initially said she was "sure" that none of the students I told her may have taken it, did take it. After she reviewed the videos, in the area it was thrown away, sure enough, one of the students who had said he didnt do it in fact had done it.

Principal went on to tell me, in a solemn and understanding way, "he did it so he could sell the phone to pay his mothers utility bill." Would not return my phone call about the incident, tell men who it was, let me speak to them or ask why, or anything. I was essentially hushed out of the building when the regular teacher had returned.

She bought the story hook-line & sinker. As for criminal charges, I notified the SRO I wanted to do so, and he assured me they had been charged, but 3-4 months later, not one phone call from the DA nor does my name show up as any victim or witness in the Court's database, they told me.

Maybe it's me or maybe it's the very large metro-area I live in that is just like this. I worked in the burb's, in a city of 160,000, but am now in a larger city of half a million where the students are much worse. Maybe all subs in my area have it this bad or maybe I am the only one unwilling to stand idle while these "students" curse us, steal our belongings and get away with almost anything they want.

Conversely, two years ago, I subbed at a catholic HS where it was a whole other world, night and day difference, not even in the same galaxy - it was a pleasure to work there so that tells me it isnt a problem with youth across the board - more so a problem with certain groups.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 21, 2019

And then there are teachers and admin who defend and make excuses for this behavior, as if it’s somehow acceptable. IMO, that speaks volumes about them.

alp123 likes this.
  3. alp123

alp123 Companion

Mar 21, 2019

My P and District is known for defending this horrible behavior. It's my first year and most likely my last. I teach 2nd grade and a student brought a knife in and threaten to kill me. My admin gave him one day in school suspension and said he watched to much Youtube. They keep saying that this is the culture, we have to understand our students....blah, blah, subs won't even come to our school. Whenever the union tries to bring it up at board meetings, the Superintendent immediately cuts them off. We are basically cultivating criminals. It's really very sad. So many sweet kiddos, but the district is so afraid of being sued I guess. I'm just trying to make to June. I'm a single parent and finding a new job is tough, a lot of temp contracts. :(

4. futuremathsprof

Mar 21, 2019

Oh my goodness, if a student threatened me and brought a knife to the school where I work, I would have the security guards take the cretin down and then press charges to ensure they got locked up. I wouldn’t think twice about it and neither would my admin as they actually do their job. Imagine that. THAT is how it should be handled. End of story.

5. alp123

alp123 Companion

Mar 21, 2019

Unfortunately, we don't have security because it's an elementary school. My admin tries to hide a lot of the behaviors. I'm not new to the profession, so I know that this is not normal. When they police officer called me he said, "You're not scared of a 7 year old are you?" Totally dismissive. There are fights daily....PBIS is a joke.

6. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Mar 22, 2019

Welcome to urban education! Writing up profanity in my schools would've been like giving out speeding tickets at Indy 500....there was no point to it. And administration will ALWAYS hide behind, "It's your classroom management skills." They don't want to be bothered. You can either ignore it or come up with a sarcastic response. That's about it.

7. futuremathsprof

Mar 22, 2019

This is what education is devolving into, folks. And people honestly have to wonder why I say what I say.

Reality Check likes this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 22, 2019

This is just a paycheck, just call a spade a spade. Administrators don't care so why should we? Show up, get paid, and get ready for summer break!

Reality Check and taylor914 like this.
  9. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Mar 24, 2019

I'll give you the advice that someone who is now a professor at a large university and used to be in the classroom for 10 years gave me:
    "This goes against everything I stand for but... do not work at a bad, rough, urban school. Find a high performing school - public or private - and work there."
    I got similar advice from a few others.
    I heeded that advice after many years at a Title I school. I work at a much better school and the difference is night and day.
    For that, I am thankful. I like where I work.

10. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Mar 24, 2019

Dear God, this is exactly like my first subbing experience at the middle school that I actually attended.

The kids were awful! They would just start obnoxiously laughing when I greeted them at the start of class, answer phone calls, FaceTime, etc. Whatever terrible thing that middle schoolers can do to any you—they did.

Stupid me took another job there a few days later. I thought that maybe I had a rough group. Nope. Those kids on my second go-around were MUCH worse. They came to homeroom and just acted like a bunch of animals...throwing desks, chairs, whatever. Then the language started. This sixth grader was talking about how she was going to “beat someone f*ing a*s” and blah, blah, blah. The worst thing was when the neighboring teachers would come in to try to help, but it ended up being a “buddy-buddy” thing. They didn’t even try to help me corral me them. Never going back. NEVER.

11. futuremathsprof

Mar 24, 2019

You’ve made the right decision. It sounds like you were working in a zoo with wild animals.

12. taylor914

taylor914 Rookie

Mar 24, 2019

I quit and left a descriptive resignation letter for my boss.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 27, 2019

I hope you can find a better place to work. Nobody deserves what you went through.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Mar 27, 2019

If they say the "F" word it is a warning??? I don't get it. A student who says the "F" word to a teacher or substitute teacher, that is a very big thing. I'd change that policy immediately. I subbed in the "hood" in the worst neighborhood you can imagine with middle school students. I was called a "honky" and some other names, but no one ever said the "F" word to me. If they did, they'd be out the door in 2 seconds.

I wish you luck and hope you find a better school. As a sub. I'd be twice as strict as you expect a regular teacher would be. Triple that if you are in a bad neighborhood.

15. taylor914

taylor914 Rookie

Mar 28, 2019

I have been strict. That is the sole reason for the friction. I heard F this, F that, N this N that, literally all day long in every single period and on most days heard them curse at me conversation with each other (F that stupid A sub / Man he a dumb N**** / This sum bullsh** I cant go to the RR / ETC). Just so happens that, after the worst day there in terms of the number of students I had removed, my boss emails & said he wanted me to come to the downtown office to "talk about substituting matters." After I said I wanted to know why & what the exact purpose was, he said only "I think you'll find the meeting purposeful."

.......................... really.

So you want me to miss half a day of work, buy gas, drive 35 minutes to downtown, and do not have the decency or respect to inform me why you want me to do this. Ofc, we can all speculate why but that was the last straw.

But hearing the F word happened so many times, you had to give warnings at first. If I kicked it every students for saying it, I'd literally kick out 1/3 of the period, every period.