Is it normal to be cussed out daily by students as a substitute teacher

Discussion in 'High School' started by taylor914, Mar 15, 2019.

1. chendri887

chendri887 New Member

Oct 18, 2019

I’ve subbed quite a bit over the past five years. I think “what gives” with these kids is that they are dealing with heavy crap outside of the classroom and taking it out on you. I am confident that the students would behave the same way with any other sub, or even with their own teachers. Despite whatever they are dealing with at home, it’s not fair for them to take it out on you. But it’s so difficult to deal with since you are only there for one day. Are all of the schools in the district you work in filled with kids like this?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  2. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Oct 19, 2019

I have only had 2 kids in my career cuss at me. The 1st one made a terrible mistake. He forgot that his parents knew and liked me. His sister had been in my class. Just by a wonderful stroke of luck, I ran into the whole family that evening at a café. His parents were very "down to earth" people and I had no problem telling them he called me a B at recess. He never did it again and was very sorry, but he is doing 10 yrs in prison now.
    Fast forward to last year. Only 1 kid called me a B, but he did it often and sometimes put the F word before the B word to spice things up a bit. His mom actually has some sway where I work and she made excuses for his behavior. The P did not want to get hit in the sway. I had to figure out how to get him to stop on my own.
    Fortunately, I am not highly offended by words, but it is not a habit you want kids to continue to think is OK.
    I am not really sure how I got him to stop. I think it was a combination of things falling together and the grace of God. It was getting old because he did a lot more than just say I was a FB for no apparent reason. He did off the wall stuff too.
    The kids would tell him it was disrespectful which helped. After he flipped out, he spent the day having zero fun while others had fun activities. I don't know if he figured out he was getting no attention or fun from me or the rest of the class after he threw fits or what, but mid year, he just stopped. I never heard a bad word out of his mouth to me.
    The poor teacher who got him this yr is now starting all over trying to find something that works. It is a shame more P's don't stick to their guns about inappropriate language. If the kids do not learn from school, some have parents who have never taught them any better. These types of kids will not be employable. What boss is going to put up with that kind of garbage?
    Then I think of the 1st kid who called me a B and he is in prison. Both kids may have learned not to call me that, but they did not learn you couldn't treat other people that way. Our schools need to change when teachers are cussed at and there are no consequences.

3. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Oct 19, 2019

DITTO!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2019

Some students will curse you out to deflect your attention, so that you won't notice they can't read well, do math, or understand the terminology. They would rather be laughed with than laughed at. Getting sent from the classroom is far better, no matter what the eventual consequence, than having a teacher find out that you can't do the work, you are mad at your mom for making you go to school today, you didn't have lunch, and you don't want pity. I could write an essay on all the things that they don't want you to know, and their use of vulgar language is geared to throw the teacher off their best game. If the student gets to make the teacher react in anger or shock, well, that's just a bonus.

RisyFLA and Linguist92021 like this.
  5. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Oct 20, 2019

Last year, one of our BD 1st graders was always in the office or the reflection room. One time I saw my P and the Sped teacher standing outside the reflection room door while he was kicking and cussing. I approached them and asked if "our friend" was at it again. He heard my voice and shouted from behind the door, "Go away Mr.(Guitart) you F..in' F..t(an archaic and offensive word for a homosexual) and I'm never coming to your class again!"
    I was stunned and asked my co-workers, "WHO even uses that word any more?"
    They said probably learned from home.

I am happy to report that this child is having a fantastic year! I see him weekly, with a smile on his face, and little to no disruptions in the building. As a team, we have all helped him
    turn the corner. He has amazing support from his new sped teacher, our new counselor, and our new PBIS.