Is it my race and age???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mykids1, Jul 19, 2009.

1. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

Hi all,

I've been on several interviews...I know in this day and age, race shouldn't be a problem, but I'm beginning to wonder. Presently, I work in a school district as a teacher assistant. I'm currently looking for a teaching position. I can't just help myself that my race and age may be hindering my search for a job. I have two things against me - race and age (I'm in my early 40's).

Or is it really just not having enough "teaching" experience. Although I do teach as a teacher assistant, but I don't plan the lessons. Or I probably don't interview well.

For some silly reason, someone had told me that some school districts do not want minorities. Please tell me that's not so, and I'm just being paranoid. I'm in New York, one of the most diversified states, however I'm interviewing in upstate schools - just because of location.

For those of you who have been on interviewing committees, what do you think????

:help:

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 19, 2009

It's the market baby. People on this board have reported of thousands of applicants for one teaching position. I'm in Florida, the former teacher desperate state, there are hundreds of applicants for every position. There is simply an oversupply of teachers. The so-called boomer retirement crisis isn't happening and the colleges just keep pumping them out.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2009

I think there are a LOT of white, young teachers, both experienced and inexperienced, also frustrated with the job search.

With the economy in a freefall, thousands upon thousands of teachers were laid off in the spring. So there are a LOT of people vying for each and every open position.

And the tri-state area is one of the worst parts of the country for jobs even in good times. Stop for a second and think: how many colleges could you drive to in 15 minutes? I can easily name 6 or 8, and each of them has graduated a full class of teachers twice a year for the past few decades.

Maybe I'm wrong, and you are a victim of racism &/or ageism. I hope I'm not, and that you're merely (?) a victim of a brutal job market in a bad economy.

Best wishes... keep at it!

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

I found my first ob at age 39 and my current at age 44. I am biracial (half a minority) and I am not a slim little thing. I have never felt hindered by my age, race, or size. I work in a large city too. I wish you wouldn't feel that wy because there's nothing you can do about your age or race.
    I've been on several interviewing committees and I've never been told not to consider a minority or someone in their 40's.
    I really do think it's just a sign of the times. Too any qualified applicants for teaching positions and not enough positions. Keep trying. You'll find your place.

6. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

Thanks for the reassurance, MATgrad. I appreciate it :)

7. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

Thanks all. Maybe it's just my insecurities and lack of confidence taking over. I also know that I've bombed some interviews, however, I'm still waiting for a call from an interview I went had on Tuesday. The principal told me he'd call by Thursday no matter if I would get called in or not for a second interview.

I appreciate your thoughts and views!

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 19, 2009

In our district, sometimes being white can work against you in the inner city schools that are 99-100% African American, but other than that I've never seen race as an issue. We always strive to have diversity -- racial, age, experience, and gender.

As to the almost 40 thing, actually more mature people are highly desirable when hiring a new teacher. First, they come with life experience. Second, if a new teacher is 35-40, parents don't assume they are new, they just think they have moved to this school. A lot of parents don't want their child in a first year teacher's room (they don't realize that what 1st year teachers lack in terms of experience, they generally more than make up for with enthusiasm and dedication). The poor teacher who looks 23 often has a hard time asserting her authority, but people of a more motherly age aren't perceived as having that issue.

It is a tough market. I wouldn't take it personally. There are tons of people in the same situation. Hang in there!

9. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

Thanks RainStorm!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2009

And good luck to you. The more you interview, the better you get at it!

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

In my experience you probably have a better job of getting a job because administrators want a more diversified teaching staff to more accurately reflect the population. I have been part of accreditations when a school district was dinged for this. If you had a lot of experience so you were expensive I might think age had something to do with it. I agree with everyone. There are thousands of good teachers out there out of work right now. Times are tough - more than tough!

12. ecl

ecl Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

In our district, schools have to have a racial balance among staff. If the required racial balance is not met, the school will only accept minorities for the open teaching position.

I think your race will only be of help to you in your search, because I know that even suburban districts are required to hire certain numbers of minorities.

I am 47 and was just hired as a math teacher, but it looks like they are changing me to an elementary position. If a district is willing to hire a gray haired lady like me, you'll have no problem. Good luck!

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 20, 2009

My experience has been that race and age do not hinder the hiring process. I think that the job market right now is over saturated with teachers. I think the supply and demand for teachers have not been equal. It would seem that working as an assistant would give you a leg up on others that are new. If you are getting passed over for jobs after having worked in a district, I would find that as a concern. I think that I would begin looking in other places (if that is possible) to get the experience you need, and then come back to your preferred district, with experience. All the best!:)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2009

What was it that made you think you 'bombed' some interviews? That could be the problem...is it 'buzz words' or nervousness? Do you research the districts ahead of time so you know their philosophy? Let us know what seems to be the 'sticking point' in the interviews and maybe we can help you over those hurdles.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 20, 2009

My sister is attempting to get a job now for over a year. We live in a mostly black community and we're white. She goes on these job interviews where there are only minorities working and we're both starting to feel like her skin color is hindering her being hired.

So yes I do think that sometimes race plays a role, but you would think that in the educational profession we'd be above that. I really hope your skin color isn't affecting your ability to get a job and that it may be other factors like a lot of people applying for a job, etc.

The best of luck to you!

16. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2009

Don't despair. It is just the market.

I landed my first teaching position when I was 53. I was lucky that my P wanted someone older and would accept me with alternative certification.

The position for you is out there. Just keep looking.
    Good luck!

17. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I don't know....However, I did look at their website after the interview and realized that there was a message from the principal. There he states the school's philosphy/mission - I should have took that with me. BUT, I was told the interview was for an elementary position - when I got to the interview, it was for a 6th grade position. So, who knows???

18. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

Missy99 - were you a teacher before? Or did you change careers? I think your principal made the right choice. I'm basically a career changer - and unfortunately, second-guessing my choice.

19. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

Thanks BioAngel - I wish your sister luck as well. It's a shame that this racial stuff is still in the way. You're right, even white people can feel the effects of racial discrimination. And don't get me wrong, I do not want a job just because I'm a minority - I want a job based on ME and how I perform and because I love this profession.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

Like others have said, in the metropolitan areas in particular, being a minority is a HUGE bonus, especially if you are looking at going into administration.

21. BioAngel

Jul 22, 2009

Where I work, we'd LOVE to have more minorities working at our school. It's sad that is still occurring, but I think its mostly the area you live in too.

22. BioAngel

Jul 22, 2009

I agree--- I am a young teacher (and I thought that would make it very difficult to find a job) but I knew I had wanted this FOR YEARS and had dedicated my high school and college years to getting ready. I got all A's, except for one B, in my education courses and really impressed my professors. I saw what other biology teachers at my college had to offer and was appalled that these were going to be educators! But because they lived and grew up in the area we went to college, many of them had connections to get jobs right away. I hope they have improved since beginning teaching.

Anyways, best of luck to you!