Is it my imagination or budget cuts are happening across the nation?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustT, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JustT

JustT Comrade

Apr 15, 2008

I'm hearing about budget cuts from the east to west coast in education. Is it because of an election year is coming up? Recession from property forclosures and real estate slump? Not enough sales in lottery tickets?

:unsure:

3. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Apr 15, 2008

My county is considered one of the wealthiest in the country. We are facing major budget cuts this year (there is talk of freezing our steps also...) Ours is due to property tax values in the county. They have gone down majorly. It's very stressful b/c they keep cutting so much. They even cut summer school for this year.

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 15, 2008

There are cuts happening all over. The cuts are results of several things that you mentioned already, with the tax cuts really hitting us hard. I really don't think that people realize how much of education is funded with those property taxes. I bet after a few years of these cuts, people might see a difference in education (most likely negative).

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 15, 2008

It's happening everywhere. My position at school was officially cut today, parents will be finding out in the end of the month newsletter. My mom (works commission with a base salary) has taken a 60% pay cut on her base because she has sold nothing which means no commission. Lucky for us, we live in a tiny townhouse my husband can afford on his own so if I can only sub next year we should still be ok. Houses are being forclosed all around us though.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

We're on a total hiring freeze and Dade County just laid off all it's part time workers to help reduce the budget shortfall :eek:

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2008

Here in North Texas, I haven't heard anything about budget cuts nor hiring freezes. So far we haven't been affected too much by the foreclosures and layoffs. My district just approved signing bonuses for shortage area (math, science, bilingual) teachers.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 15, 2008

Here we are having a 0.04% cost of living increase and NO STEP inceases. Oh, and our health care is going up 8.5%, so actually, if our association hadn't stepped in, we would have been losing money for next year! Our superintendent has promised us no one will make less money next year, but very, very few will have an increase. It is depressing. You do a good job and bust your backside, and get no increase at all. :huh:

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2008

Delaware has asked schools to complete an exercise for an experimental 10% cut, meaning they are considering the cut and what to see what the effect it will be. My district already starting making the cuts, though, starting with my internship for the summer. :-(

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2008

It's frightening, isn't it?

Here in Las Vegas, the governor is making the schools cut 9% of their budget...which equals several billion dollars over the next couple of years. Billions. With a B.

What stinks is that we have a "rainy day fund" set up to pay out money in the event of serious budget shortfalls. The whole reason it was put in place was to cover the schools if something like this happened. But the governor has to approve tapping into it. And he won't.

I think he may end up getting kicked out of office over this. I'm not even kidding.

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 15, 2008

I work in a private school and the economy is really affecting us. Many families will not be returning. Lots of moms are having to join the workforce, and lots of homes up for sale. Our revenue goes down and we have to cut back our budget.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 15, 2008

Which puts more kids in the public school system, already woefully underfunded, creating an even bigger mess. OH JOY

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 15, 2008

Our school announced budget (and therefore staff) cuts. I think I'm OK but some people are not being asked back. The foreclosure crisis isn't as bad in the Heartland as it is on the coasts, but there have been jobs lost/cuts in the area. It is rather stressful. No idea what our enrollment numbers will look like next year.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2008

NJ finally fixed a bit of the funding problem...my district put forth a 0% tax increase to voters for the 3rd year in a row. They (the public) voted today and we passed our budget! We will actually get more money from the state next school year, but our state is a mess and the Gov. wants to sell the NJ turnpike and stuff. Yikes!

15. JustT

JustT Comrade

Apr 16, 2008

That is what has me worried the most right now. Several district's budget in my area hasn't been released and contracts haven't been given out yet :eek: this is the first time I've experienced late contracts.... I originally thought it had to do with state test scores :dunno:

I worry to much.... Perhaps if every American buys 1 lottery ticket that should put millions into schools right? :rofl:

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2008

Well, if they buy it from Fla our genius legislators will find a way to
    get into their pet projects and away from schools. Georgia did
    it right but they had our mess to learn from.

17. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Apr 16, 2008

Budget cuts are happening all over. It's due to an overall economic slowdown which has some to do with the mortgage crisis and some to do with other economic factors such as the weakened dollar.

18. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 16, 2008

And to had more joy.... a lot of the kids leaving this year are the ones who've had lots of behavior problems.

19. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2008

The foreclosure rate in Michigan is sky high. We have to take a HUGE budget cut in our district which will result in many lay offs and huge class sizes. Our state is in an awful economic position! It stinks!

20. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 16, 2008

I heard today that here in KY they pushed rehire date to May 15 in case of budget problems. I was told last week that I had a job next yr and the P was overheard saying he thought he'd have to pink slip ppl, but due to a few retirements and a resignation he's good to go. But its happening everywhere

21. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 16, 2008

Not only that but the Dallas ISD has a $50+ million budget shortfall because of miscalculation of average teacher pay & how many teachers they would have but yet they claim they'll be fine because of government funding coming in. They are actually saying they can still finish the year in a surplus. Go figure!

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2008

It's such a shame that the economy is in a bad place right now. The budget problems are only going to get worse, and so many people could be out of jobs. How are we supposed to teach the future leaders of our country without quality teachers and small class sizes? Sorry...:soapbox:

23. glenn

glenn Rookie

Apr 16, 2008

The district I work for the governing board tabled approval of a 1.5% increase until information is available from the Arizona state legislature on funding levels. Teachers have been picketing before and after school hours.

24. supersub39

supersub39 Rookie

Apr 16, 2008

I live in TX, in Harris County and I havent heard of any budget cuts or anything but I really dont know. The district that I just interviewed in, the principal told me that the board had just voted to raise the teacher pay shedule and that they were in the process of deciding how much. I guess thats a good thing.

25. smalltowngal

Apr 17, 2008

supersub, the district I student taught in just raised their teacher pay by $5,000

26. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Apr 17, 2008

Budget cuts are happening here in the deep south as well. (Alabama)

27. supersub39

supersub39 Rookie

Apr 17, 2008

smalltowngal.....wow thats a big raise. Sometimes the difference in salary between districts is seen in the Health Insurance. For instance, one school district maybe paying 2,000 more but their health insurance cost 2,000 more a year. So, in the end it evens out. I have been looking at the districts I'm interested in and how much the insurance premiums are. They usually have it listed on their websites.

28. smalltowngal

Apr 17, 2008

Well this district was only paying $1000 above base. We moved to a district an hour and a half away, and this district pays about $10,000 more than the other district, even with this new raise. I'm not sure about insurance in the district I student taught at, but the premiums in this new district seem reasonable.

29. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 17, 2008

I suspect this to be true. My 1st choice of district has the highest salary I've seen so far among many districts from two counties but the benefits don't look all that great. They pay the first $200+ in health premium & that's all I've seen so far. I don't even think they contribute towards a pension (?) -- I didn't see anything on the site, other than the employee having the option of contributing.

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2008

My school also just said its not re-hiring for 3 tech positions that were left open throughout the school year. That means we have to share technology help with other schools, and we have A LOT of tech in our schools.

Some districts near us are out of paper and don't have any money to order more. No more copies for the rest of the year, and we still have about 45 days of school left around here! Thank god its not my district, knock on wood.

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 17, 2008

The budget around here is BAD. We're basically on a complete hiring freeze and they've laid off all the part time employees. After that, they'll be looking a full time support staff to cut. Even the colleges are feeling the crunch. My college it taking some pretty drastic measures hoping to avoid not having to cut into HR, but Florida International University just laid off over 200 employess, including full time professors.