Is it me or is this summer really BORING so far???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 3, 2008.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

I know that life is what you make it and so on but this is really getting to me! I had such high hopes but as time passes, I'm actually looking forward to getting back to school in 2 months. Any suggestions on fun things to do that don't cost much? I DO live in Chicago so I shouldn't be in this situation. HELP!! Anyone else going through the summertime blahs???

3. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 3, 2008

I know, Zoe. I live in the Chicagoland area and it's really boring when everything is going up and you're on a budget.

4. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

I have found that volunteer work can be fulfilling and enjoyable! If you have any missions, you might volunteer to serve food one night or some areas go to parks and hand out food to the homeless. You also might check with the community center and see if they need someone to help with summer youth activities. Senior Citizen homes are always looking for someone to read to the elderly. There are lots of volunteer opportunities out there!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 3, 2008

No time off (no matter what time of the year) is ever boring for me! When I have to work, I make the best of it, but when I'm off, whether it's for one week or 3 mos, I thoroughly enjoy it!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

I'm driving my husband nuts. I feel like I don't have anything keeping me focused. And if I have to do one more household chore to fill my time... UGH. I can't stand it.

The good thing is that my daughter is 13, and we are enjoying hanging out together. I'm still bored, but at least I'm bored with her.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2008

I agree, boring so far. I have a framed print, "Housework, when done correctly, can kill you". I hate it. I am going to start making lists each day so that I can make the most of my days off, such as Go To Libraray, Swim Laps, etc. :)

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2008

I get so tired of housework. That's all I do over the summer is deep clean. It's really mind draining.

I've just gone to see movies so I can break up the dull days.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2008

I'm bored too! I will be on vacation for 1 week...and that feels like such a small dent in 2 1/2 months. I continue to clean, and organize, and clean some more...and Mable you're right...it's incredibly draining!

10. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 4, 2008

OMG, I have so many things I've been wanting to do that I don't think I'll start getting bored until at least August! I've got mending to do, I have a bedroom to paint, I have to organize my office, I have tons of gardening to do, wood to pile, my son has a job picking berries, so I am getting up everyday at 5 AM to drive him there, then I go back to bed until it's time to pick him up at noon, I'm finishing up my AQ course, then after all that I'll do some drawing and hopefully by then a job will come up and I can spend my last month of summer getting ready for that. Anyone want to come and help me with all that?? :woot:

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2008

ho hum, I folded sheets and organized my linen closet.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 5, 2008

zoe - go to the parks, museums, movies in the park, farmers markets- all free! Plus the lakefront path- free concerts, etc.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

Sit down and make a list of all the things you want to do during the school year, but don't have time for - then get started on your list!!

14. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I don't have time to be bored. I have four little ones at home and they make everyday a new adventure. I have been doing a lot of housework and getting my house clean, but school/work keeps us really busy so this is the only time I can do the deep cleaning.

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2008

Not boring at all! It's going way too fast.

16. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

Although I have had a fun and restful vacation this summer (I went to Okinawa for 2 weeks and I am going to Florida for a week on Monday) I am ready to get back to work in my classroom. I still have some things to reorganize that I wasn't able to finish the last day I was there.

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

Summer always goes way too fast for me.

Time is better than money.

I love being able to get a cup of coffee and sit on the patio and listen to birds, work the paper's crossword puzzle, read & then read some more, pick fresh flowers to bring inside, call and catch up w/friends & family, do some Christmas shopping, take a yoga class at the local wellness center, try water color/oil painting, clean out a closet, spend time w/family, buy a face cleanser/mask, do a hot oil treatment on your hair, paint your own toe nails, go to the library and check out free movies, walk 3 miles a day, oh my there's a lot to do.

Time is precious, you can't buy it and when you've used all of yours up it's gone-forever. Fill every precious day with things that make you happy, you don't have to spend any money to do it either.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

Hoot Owl, I love your post. I made me smile.

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2008

Bravo, Bravo:2up::2up::2up::2up:

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2008

Hoot Owl, you are right of course! I love to sit out in my backyard too with my coffee, newspaper and laptop. Its nice and cool out here until about 10am. In the afternoons I go swimming with my daughter. I love the time off, as well. But I still dont like cleaning house! :)