Is it me, or do others also dislike subbing?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teachforlife, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

I think the problem is doing it backwards.

I began teaching and taught for 4 years. Then I chose to leave the school I was teaching in to try to go into the public sector.
    Now that I've found how hard it is to get in the public school system, I went ahead and put myself on a nearby school district's sub list.

I dont like subbing! It's not the actual work or the kids or anything like that; I just hate getting up and getting ready to teach every morning of the week and maybe getting called once. It always seems I get called on Fridays or a day that I have to take my son or myself to the doctor! Every morning is stressful to me as I dont know what I'm doing or where I teach even if I do get a call.

I just hate not knowing what my day will be like until 7a.m.

Is it just me?

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 13, 2011

It IS difficult, especially after you've had your own classroom.

I've been lucky enough to get several sub assignments already, even though our year is just starting. Today, though, I didn't have an assignment. I still felt I should get up by 6:00am and be ready, just in CASE I got a call. Last week, I got called at 7:10am for a teacher that was sick and was still in bed. I had to rush getting ready, but made it to the school (which includes a 15 minute drive) in less than an hour after getting the call.

But it WAS rewarding yesterday when I was giving instructions to the last class of the day (which also happens to be the "challenging" class for that grade level) and one of the students said "You seem very calm". I just smiled at the student and said "I've done this before".

Yes, it is difficult (sometimes) trying to deal with lesson plans or student excuses when you don't have a thorough knowledge of the class or content. But I just remind myself most kids will try to "test" the sub and see what they can get away with. As long as I apply what I DO know mixed with a healthy does of common sense (such them claiming they suddenly don't know their login ID or password on the computer), then everything goes pretty smoothly. :)

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 13, 2011

I've only done it a few times, but I absolutely hated it. Not having to sub was one of my big motivators for getting a job right out of graduation at all costs.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2011

When I first started subbing, I made a name for myself as being competent. Eventually, I was being called by principals themsevles to come in to sub at their school, particuluary the middle schools. I developed a reputating for being able to handle the curriculum and the kids, in a calm and caring manner.

Are you only subbing for elementary school or secondary too? I haven't subbed long in the past, but noticed that secondary schools called me more often than elementary schools did. Also, I subbed for the juvienile hall school.

I've since taught for 6 years (now moving onto my 7th) and the idea of going back to sub makes me anxious. I think it's because I NEED a routine and I NEED to know what is going to go on that day. I honestly become anxious. In my last job, I was the math resource teacher and I was pulled every now and then to sub. Even though it was in my own school and I knew the kids, it was a bit difficult for me to relax.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 13, 2011

Here's my issue: I've been subbing now for a tremendously LONG time & yes, I've never minded it & it's been good to me throughout the yrs w/ having enough $ to pay my bills because I've been long-term most of those yrs, etc., HOWEVER, I'm so ready for something permanent I can't stand it! :mad: I've never hated subbing, but never excited about it either. Just always feeling so-so about it.

I only had 1 permanent teaching job in btwn subbing that only lasted 1 school yr.

I can't move forward w/ doing what I really want until I get my career, which I'm working extremely hard on getting the ball rolling for that. The speed at which I obtain my goals basically is lying in the hands of 1 lady (& it's not me)! It's really a drag to think of it that way, but it's technically the truth. I better email her again at the end of the week to see how things are going now! :mad:

But, I agree that subbing & permanent teaching are 2 diff things. I'm in the rut of having a routine all yr long, but it's still never anything permanent & that feeling of knowing that it's truly MINE!

7. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 13, 2011

Subbing is a hard gig. The fact you don't know sometimes until that morning where you'll be working and what you'll be teaching makes it difficult.

8. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 13, 2011

I do not hate subbing. I am glad to have the work when it comes around, but I also set myself up with two other part time jobs to ensure I have money coming in. I do want something permanent at some point though.

9. Boba

Boba Companion

Sep 13, 2011

I prefer it over being in the same classroom actually.

10. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Sep 13, 2011

I only did a few times but I hated it. The not knowing if you are going to get the call every day annoyed me.

11. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 13, 2011

I would rather sub than work at a daycare. I draw the line at daycare.

12. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Sep 13, 2011

I loved almost every minute of the time I spent subbing, not counting the times when my subbing "assignment" turned out to be clerical slave work. But then again, I also LIKE dealing with behavior, so I think I'm unique in that aspect.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2011

The thing I hate most about subbing is that basically every day is like your first day of work and first days are always nerve-wrecking with learning the ins and outs of the job!

14. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 13, 2011

I preferred the schools I subbed in to the school I taught full time in.
    However, it's a job for students just out of college, bored housewives, and school retirees, not a single mom with a kid to support.
    One time I was assigned to teach 10th Grade Algebra, and honestly, I felt such a fraud being up at the board with the textbook in my hand. I just told the kids I don't have a clue what I'm doing here. They all laughed, and I felt a lot better.

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 13, 2011

I loved subbing before I started teaching full-time. Then I got cut, did one day and hated it. It was miserable. Subbing is not the same as having your own classroom.

16. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Sep 13, 2011

I don't like subbing if they don't leave decent lesson plans. I had one job where there were blank post-it notes in books and no schedule. I didn't even know when lunch was! Hated that!

I did make up cards with all my contact info and gave to the teachers this week. Got a text one night for 2 days and then 2 other teachers scheduled me when they saw me in the hall. I think those cards were a good move as they can contact me easily if an emergency comes up or they need to plan a day off.

17. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

Well, I am on the sub list to teach any and all levels. I've subbed 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 9th so far.
    Again, the content and kids arent the problem at all. It is the stress each morning wondering if I am going to get a call or not.
    Honestly, I dont think subbing will do me a whole lot of good. Ive been told by people who sub nearly every day that it didnt make any difference and they still dont get hired. Additionally, I dont think it will make a bit of difference for me when it comes to experience. I am a certified, Master's level teacher with experience already.
    Ive applied for a job that has nothing to do with education just to make some money and not have to have a question mark hanging above my day. It is a temp job that pays what I would make as a teacher.

18. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

Let me explain a little more...with student loan payments right at 600 per month and my boys tution at over 900, I need to make some money! Subbing for 62 dollars a day wont pay for that even if I worked every day.

19. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

I really do like subbing. I would be content with it if it paid more. I also was also able to sub at the same school 5 days a week and always had a full schedule.

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 13, 2011

I hated subbing! !! Just saying... It was something I did because I had too!

21. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Sep 13, 2011

I was just talking about this same topic this morning as I was getting ready for my half-day position of the day.

I was dragging my feet because I don't enjoy it. I love the kids. I love being in the classroom. It's just...there's no consistency. Some days I'm a half day, some days I'm the full day. I went from working in kindergarten to working in 6th grade social studies -- the same day! (and it was on the 6th day of school)

Last year, I subbed here and there. I was so upset and bitter about not having a job that I just didn't accept any calls. I silenced my phone every single day.

We'll be closing out this week with 13 days of school and I worked 9 of them. It's exhausting. And it's like really? I've only done this for 3 weeks?

I'm trying to score a LTS, but that's even hard because as a sub you only see the surface of the planning that goes into a lesson. Walking into these interviews, they might ask "are you familiar with Blah Blah Grouping for reading in 2nd grade?" And I have to think, well I did sub for 2nd grade once, but did they do grouping? Unfortunately my student teaching was in an upper elementary grade level in another district that uses a different curriculum. It's been a challenge.

22. Boba

Boba Companion

Sep 14, 2011

Likewise with me, although sometimes I would work a full week, and then the following week just get called once. It worked out well for me while attending grad. school full time and doing my one year counseling internship!

If I could actually make a living off of subbing and being assured benefits, I would always want to stay a sub assuming I couldn't get a counseling job! I like the idea of making my own hours, having a variety of grades to work with, and how each day was different. The only drawbacks for me have been students acting horrible because they knew I was just a sub (although this didn't happen as much as I thought) and a teacher walking by seeing the kids being loud and not listening to me saying "You wouldn't do this if your teacher was here!!" Always made me feel like they were saying I was a bad sub., but often times those teachers were asking for my cards and would request me hah.

The main reason that I like subbing though is due to me actually having to do little to no planning (assuming it isn't a long term position and that the teacher did leave plans). I realized when doing my student teaching years ago in special ed. how the successful teachers always had a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, etc. and things done wayyyyyy in advance. I am not a planner and really tried to be, but I ended up losing my mind!

I ended up getting into a school counseling grad program which I loved! I actually looked forward to going to my one year internship everyday unlike when I student taught with my own class. While there is planning such as needing schedules done by a certain date doing in services, and testing, everything else is spontaneous and flexible! I always felt on edge when being in the same class day after day and having to become a planner. I love working with students of any age, but in the context of a sub. or counselor.

23. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Sep 14, 2011

I got a call this morning to sub. I didnt want to answer it but I did. I talked to some of the teachers and paras where I subbed today and was told that every single para they hired this year was a cert. teacher! I was also told that they make MAYBE 1000 per month. Good grief.

24. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Sep 14, 2011

It was the inconsistency that I hated most about subbing. I was fortunate enough last year to be first on the sub list the principal called. The school was where I did my student teaching the spring before. So they knew me and I was very dependable. I wound up subbing all grades from pre-k to 12th with all courses in between. I am certified for pre-k to 8th in the core subjects. So it was strange to be the high school coach, music, or art teacher. The principal and teachers knowing I was certified expected me to teach the classes, which I did. I even landed 2 LTS positions. The first was in the school above. I loved this job. It was 9-12 history. The kids were awesome and very respectful.

The second was in a neighboring district I hadn't subbed in for 2 years. It was a nightmare for 7 weeks. The teacher left me with mounds of tests to grade and terrible lesson plans for one week. Literally it took me 3 weeks to catch her up and enter all the grades in the computer. Then the kids never looked at me as their "real" teacher. I heard on a daily basis, "Your just the sub". It got a little better when they realized I wasn't going anywhere and I was also certified to teach their class. The LTS job was orginally supposed to last 2 weeks tops. With this LTS job it was 7-8 history and 9-12 civics. The students thinking about me being a sub and administration telling them when I had to call them in "you will listen to your sub while your teacher, Mrs. XX, is out" didn't help them at all see me as their teacher. That's what I hate most about it. The students think they can do whatever and get away with it because you are not thier actual teacher. Maybe it was just me and my particular situation.

With school #1 the kids tried to pull the "your only my sub" when I was there in their class a day or two. This was for grades kindergarten to 8th. The high school kids really liked me and listened.

It guess it's a respect thing. Now, I don't let students run over me at all. I don't play favorites and treat them all with respect. School #1 high school kids got the message fast. When I left they were begging for me to be their teacher. School #2 were slower to get it. It might be because they didn't know me from Adam. But at the end, many kids told me I was their favorite teacher and wanted me to come back. Several of them thanked me for not having a "teacher's pet" and treating all them the same. Even kids who I thought were trouble for me in the beginning toward the end where telling the others to listen to me if anyone tried to get off track. Those kids all told me when the year was over they could tell I really a good teacher and they had respect for me because I treated them all so well. Even those kids were begging me to be their teacher the next year. What can I say...I am an awesome sub. LOL

If I hadn't found a teaching job this year, would I still sub? Heck, yeah. I still get calls to sub today. But it does feel really nice to have my own classroom of kids. I really enjoy routine and subbing was so not. I was called 3-4 times a week. The salary in those schools was $65 and $70/day. So financially it wasn't a lot. It helped a little. Plus, with the schools expecting me to come in and teach anything at anytime was really stressful. With my job now in preschool I am not guaranted a job next year, so I may be back at it next school year. Hope not, but I would if I had to.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  25. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Sep 15, 2011

I see you are in Georgia and I will say I was shocked to see that they pay a bit more here in Alabama! I have a TA interview today and while the base pay is around 17K they do give a suppliment of 3K for a BS degree. If offered I'll take it since it is about the same as subbing but with benefits and a schedule.

26. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 15, 2011

I do enjoy meeting new students as a sub, but I've learned one of the keys to controlling them is to not ACT like a sub. I dress professionally and, when I walk down the hall, I act like a regular teacher. If I see students running, I tell them to walk. Yesterday, I approached two elementary school kids that were getting ready to use an unattended hand-truck like a skateboard. Chances are, those kids had parents that were teachers or staff (since this was after the final bell rang), but I still went up to them as if I was a regular teacher to keep them from doing something that might get them hurt.

I also believe my actions and contacts as a sub helped me get the teaching position I had last year. I always try to do more than I'm asked as a sub and I firmly believe those little extras helped put my name at the top of the list when the principal needed a math teacher last year.

Now that I'm subbing again, I still do the same thing. I stand out in the hallway between classes and will pick up any trash students have left behind. Last week, I was subbing at my former school and realized one teacher had to leave her class unattended while she went to the office. I had a planning period at the time, so I walked down to her room and kept an eye on the class until she could return.

I see subbing as an opportunity to make more contacts and let possible future employers see me in action.

The only part I hate about subbing are plans from the regular teacher that say "They know what to do". :blush: I'm sure they do, but most of the class seems to develop sudden amnesia when the sub comes in. They forget how to login to the computers or access their assignments. They also insist they finished that work yesterday and were supposed to start something brand new today, but the teacher didn't tell them what it would be. :rolleyes:

All I ask as a sub are short, simple lesson plans with proper materials laid out (if necessary), a schedule of class times, lunch and recess and a seating chart (if possible). If you give me that, I can handle anything else the class tries to throw at me. ;)

27. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 15, 2011

That's too bad. I currently work in a daycare/preschool and absolutely LOVE my kids and coworkers. We're like a family. The only downside is, it doesn't pay very well.

28. SpanishTeacher4

SpanishTeacher4 Rookie

Sep 15, 2011

Subbing is tough. Probably one of the most eye-opening things I've done. As a sub you get taken advantage of because the kids know you haven't a clue about the subject or the school procedures. I'm a regular teacher now, but subbing to me was nothing but babysitting!!!!!

29. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Sep 16, 2011

I enjoyed subbing for the most part. I developed a good reputation and was called by the same schools often. However, there were still days I didn't work, probably because I stuck to elementary. I could have had more jobs if I had included middle school and above. Although, I don't think I'm really suited for the big kids (9th-12th grades).

One of the highest compliments I received was when I walked into a 5th grade classroom I had subbed in before and one the students said with resignation, "Oh, it's Mr. Penguinpc." :D

30. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 16, 2011

The waiting to get called, the "first day feeling"... none of those things bother me. Like Ms. I, it's something I will have done for a long time now. I DO hate it, but not for any real problems I have with doing the job. The pay--I hate of course. But it's just the frustration. The frustration of feeling I should be teaching. Some of it is embarrassment, being relegated to sub year after year. Probably a bit of resentment.

It's like being a back-up when you feel you should be the starter. It's like being relegated to the minor leagues when you are in the prime of your career. The frustration is the part that makes me "hate" the job.

31. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 17, 2011

You know I think that it is a terrible injustice that pre-school individuals do not get paid well. We talk about giving our kids a quality preschool education and then, they won't pay preschool teachers enough to live on. You cannot have one without the other. It makes me sad! :( I think pre-school teachers should be paid what they are worth. But then again, maybe they cannot afford priceless.;)