Is it just me?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Teachingtots, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Apr 11, 2013

I have wanted to be teacher for as long as I can remember. I love interacting with the kids and still love teaching. But I am feeling so burnt out by the expectations for schools today, constant parent emails, and lack of direction from my district (i.e. no pacing guides, no real curriculum).

I taught at a charter school in Detroit for four years and am in my first year at a nationally recognized public school this year. I thought things would be so much better, but I've come to the conclusion that education in general is a mess!

Sometimes I just want to toss in the towel. It is so disheartening when I feel like I plan, prepare, and constantly give my all but still don't feel good enough as a teacher. I love the kids, teaching, and all things curriculum, but I'm exhausted!

I feel like I complain all the time about my job and I don't wanna be that person! Sometimes I wonder if it's just me or if other teachers feel the same way!?!? :dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2013

Yes other teachers feel that way, but it's not that way everywhere.

4. ViolettFrances

ViolettFrances New Member

Jul 5, 2013

Do something to reignite the passion you have inside of you for teaching! Resting is part of the process for doing good!

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2013

:hugs: It's not just you. A great deal depends on the hand you're dealt - school, district, state.

I had a miserable year last year due to things that were completely out of my hands and my administrators' hands. I complained more about my job than I thought I was capable of. The only thing I know for sure is that I can't expect any consistency from my district. So now, the trick is finding a way to deal with the fact that I have to roll with the punches. At the end of the day, I love teaching, and I'm grateful to have a job - so now I just need to make it work.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2013

There are a lot of demands on teachers and I think many teachers feel the same way you feel. I find myself very exhausted after a day of teaching. However, I nap every afternoon and once I go home I don´t do anything school related (save for chatting on A to Z). So, I think it´s important to find time for yourself so don´t burn out.

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 5, 2013

Great advice Tami (and everyone else to). I don't have much else to add except I find that I am the most stressed when I fail to plan. When iI am organized iI feel less stressed to. I hate to know iI have something but can't find it

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

This is right on. I find that my own stress too evolves from lack of planning or organzing (I plan everything to the T because of this), therefore I have super detailed plans and know everything I am doing every minute of the day, and stay organized. I am currently reading a Debbie Diller book so I hope this will give me some more organization ideas.

9. redheadkate

redheadkate Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

I know how you feel. I felt that way after my first quarter teaching, and it's exhausting. But it will get better. Hang in there. :)

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2013

Yes, although my district has very detailed curriculum guides. I took this past year off as a "recharge year and it has done wonders! I am so looking forward to this school year. A short break was just what I needed. I learned a lot of lessons while I was out. I look back on my last 6 years - nothing was ever done" whether I stayed until 6 at night or left at 3:45. So I'm setting limits - leave no later than 5. Target time is 4:45. I will not work at home. I will take it one day at a time and remember I am only one human.
    I am at a new school (same district) and the atmosphere is totally different. I can already tell the difference!

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 7, 2013

I do think this is a widespread issue. Teachers have a lot on their plate, and the load isn't getting any lighter.

12. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! It was my first year in first grade and I was in a new district so I think I was overwhelmed by all the newness. I am looking forward to getting highly organized for this school year!!