Is It Just Me?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Sep 21, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 21, 2011

or do others have the problem of having to say the same things over and over and over every day. :rolleyes: Just for an example: our custodian wants our chairs stacked a certain way so she can vaccuum well. I told my kids this repeatedly. Modeled for them repeatedly. She came in and told my kids this. Every day when they start stacking the chairs I look up and they are putting them where they aren't supposed to. Every day I'm saying DON'T PUT THEM OVER THERE!

We eat breakfast in the classroom. We are given a big trash bag for the food trash so we can easily tie it up and put it outside the door when we're done for the custodian to come pick up. Every day they put their food in the regular trashcan. At first I thought, ok, it takes time, they don't get it. We are on WEEK 5 now!!!! I don't think they are being obstinate or anything, they just aren't thinking about what they are doing.

I'm telling you I actually have gray in my eyebrows now-not just in my hair! :whistle: I think this is karma. I still remember grocery shopping for my mom when she would ask me to go get something and I'd come back 2 minutes later to ask again what it was because I didn't listen. :blush:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 21, 2011

My kids keep putting the trash in the recycle bin. I tell them every day that trash goes in the trash can. They aren't getting it. I tried hiding the recycle bin. They still put stuff in it.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 21, 2011

Start rewarding the first couple that does it right the first time?

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2011

I think this may be the way to go because not only will it surprise the ones that were listening, but it may "snap" the other into place.

If they all start doing it may you can give them a few mins of free time or something to reward the whole class!!!

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Sep 21, 2011

Our chairs go on tables and they can't do it. I do it every evening...saves me time and hassle! I have found ESPECIALLY at the beginning of the year, reward the ones who do what you want and don't reward the others! Trust me, the next day, they will work for that reward! I wanted mine to pack up and put their backpacks on the backs of their chairs. I had maybe half the class do it how I asked... So I gave each one who did it correctly a "smelly" (some smelly chapstick rubbed on the backs of their hand) Well, it turned out to be a MAJOR deal and now the children jump and do as I ask to get a smelly!:) lol CHEAPEST and BEST quick reward EVER!!!!;) Stickers work too...but they get lost and stuck to my floor at the end of the day:|

7. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 21, 2011

The smelly is a great idea-thanks for sharing!

8. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Sep 22, 2011

My kids like the smellies too. I have chocolate and bubble gum. I reward good behavior, but some of the kids just don't get it. At the end of the day, they'll still ask for a reward! Today, the cafeteria started selling ice cream. When it was served in our classroom this afternoon, a couple of the boys, who didn't have money this morning, had 10-minutes meltdowns. They just couldn't understand why they couldn't have it!

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 23, 2011

Thanks for your suggestions.

Breakfast is just too crazy a time for me to stand there by the trash can and reward the kids who actually put their trash in the bag. I'm checking folders at that time, talking to parents, etc.

I guess I just also don't believe in rewarding every little thing. I have a reward system but I reward them for going above and beyond. I feel like if they've been asked to do it, the behavior has been modeled (repeatedly), they've been redirected--they just should do it. If not for the good of the classroom because I asked them to. I guess I was spoiled by my classes in the past-they wanted to please me. This group just isn't there yet.

The only problem I have with the smellies is that some kids are very sensitive to smells (I know I am, certain ones give me a headache automatically). I don't know if I could handle all those scents myself.

10. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Sep 23, 2011

Yeah I agree with few rewards. The smellies and a sticker here and there at the beginning of the year is all I do. I agree that children should behave because it is the right thing to do, not for a prize! I just find myself rewarding behavior the first 6-9 weeks...then after that a little praise usually gets the job done! I can't even imagine breakfast in the classroom! What a nightmare!!! :(

The ones I have I can't even smell unless I put my nose right up to it! Could you give a privilege as a reward?! If the entire class gets the trash picked up the class could "tooty ta?" Maybe assign a kid as "breakfast director?" They could stand guard at the regular trashcan to redirect the other children?

My kids go crazy for the silliest things! lol I.e. right now, I set a small gourd on a table who seems to be working the hardest...that table gets to line up first...they think it's great! lol

Just curious, I don't do folders...what are you checking them for?

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 23, 2011

A gourd-that's great! They are very easily amused. I'll have to try that. I like the idea of one of the kids monitoring-they love to be the "boss"!

We are required to send homework so I'm checking the old homework and putting in the new ones. If I get it done in the morning it makes dismissal much, much easier.

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2011

I agree, mine are too little now to put the chairs up, and I keep forgetting to! Later on they will be able to. :)