Is it just me or does this seem strange!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mldouglas, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

I just wanted to post something on here about an encounter I witnessed while I was subbing the other day. I was outside with my kids when the other teacher who was supposed to be out there with me showed up a few minutes later. Anyway, her class brought out a bag of balls to play with and the balls were clearly marked with the other teacher's room number. So her kids were apparently done playing with the balls and had left them on the ground. So one of my kids went over and started to play with one of the balls. THE TEACHER went over and started yelling at the kid not to touch her kids balls. I was so dumbfounded I really didn't know what to say. I was upset because of the way the teacher was talking to my student. I have never seen a teacher refuse to share their equipment with another class. I would be more concerned as a teacher about showing children how to share as opposed to being worried about what belongs to who. Any thoughts on the subject??

Mldouglas

3. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Sep 15, 2007

all I can suggest to you is to mention this in your days end note to the teacher you're subbing for. It's possible there have been issues with this particular student taking equipment before, and this was the last straw for that teacher. who knows really? just make sure you remember this incident when you have your own class someday, and make sure sharing is instilled in your own students.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 15, 2007

I was thinking the same thing. It's probably not the first incident. There is some prior history there. Likely the teacher you subbed for even knows about the issue. Noting it would have brought it to mind if she didn't know about it and take appropriate action, allow her to dismiss it if she knows the story, ask the teacher her side or even just let the woman know that it doesn't look right to others and maybe she might want to just remove the equipment. The only caution is as a sub you don't want to seem critical of other teachers. Teachers hate to feel like they are being watched because they tend to be passionate about everything they do. On the other hand, it is important as a sub to report things just like other teachers would if something is inappropriate regarding students.

If the teacher really doesn't share, then that is strange but again likely she's been told that already. It could even be that she had age appropriate toys (young kids) and asked the older kids not to play with their stuff because they had balls, etc that younger kids can't play with. (Just an example).

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2007

ditto...

some teachers had to come out there pockets when balls disappear over the fence and on the roof. I am also guilty of writing my name on every dagblasted thing I bring into a building. Does it mean nobody will take it from me, NO. But it seems to give me some little bit of security, to see my name. I guess I am waiting for somebody to steal my pen, so I can say..."Is that MY pen you have?" Some people (parents mostly) feel that teacher's supplies are just community property and that there is some humungous warehouse in the back on the building with an overflow of supplies :lol:. Those of us who are stingy have had things taken from us, and never replaced, and it does leave a mark deep inside...

ugly...but true

and, like CNG says... you don't want to rub people the wrong way when you are a sub...

I wouldn't even put it in my notes...

I'm sure your teacher knows all about her!

if you complain to the secretary or principal you never know...that might be their 'favorite' teacher, who always gets her/his way. so don't bother. I would talk to the child, and let them know you did not like what happened. but leave the adults alone...

we are too twisted to hear your side of view...:woot: