Is it just me or are you ready to get out?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Feb 21, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 21, 2011

I just feel blah while teaching. The kids are not really paying attention and are giving me this blank stare. I'm not excited about what I am teaching.
    Do we need a break, is it the weather, or is it just me?

I did not even feel like being at school all last week. I'm just kind of there.

What about you?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2011

I'm on break this week...after soooo many days of indoor recess my kids were getting tired of each other so break came at just the right time...I'm spending some time this week betting ready for some new units and doing some research on a topic of interest so my mind is still 'in it'.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 21, 2011

Yea I'm looking up neat engaging lessons as well but when the kids are thinking of summer break its so hard to teach and keep up.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2011

That's why we don't even start talking about summer yet. It's too far away.

I just want to get out to spend the time with my little one. Little has to do with the kids right now.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2011

I think I can power through the next couple of months to spring break (which for us is at the end of April...ugh). My kids are still mostly in the zone and most of my lessons are going over well. Let's hope that continues, at least for a little while. :)

7. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Feb 21, 2011

Do an outdoor lesson hear and there. Even with snow (if you have any), it's still possible to have a successful outdoor lesson.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2011

I'm to the point of forcing myself up each morning. :(

9. Arcticteacher

Arcticteacher Rookie

Feb 21, 2011

That time of year

Weather can make a big difference. It's cold and dark where I live and you can definitely see the affect it has on the kids. What sometimes helps me is to come up with some completely new and different lessons and try them out. Even if they don't go over great it may help the monotony.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2011

Many teachers feel that way during the school year. One of the issues I found with this job is the fact that I am always "starting over" each year. Yes, I may have a new batch of kids and lessons don't always go over the same way as it did the previous year, but for the most part, it's quite a repetitious job. The same routine, procedures, similar lessons, etc. I guess after a while, my mind starts to get a bit numb and that's when I start to find it hard to go back to work (usually around this time of the year). THen, throw in dreary weather, kids who have been trying your patience all year, etc and you're bound to find it hard to get to work.

But, once the sun comes out, there is usually a second wind and you work hard until state testing comes around. Then, things wind down and you have the fun end of the year events. Just hold out! :)

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2011

You are not alone.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2011

I'm there with ya JustMe. Some days are good, but I'm ready to get out. I know the kids are ready to get out and it makes for some blah days. :(

13. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Feb 21, 2011

Another issue I'm having is not having the manipulatives I need to teach with or I'm having problems to come up with lessons to teach what I need to teach.

UGH!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2011

We on vacation this week.

But as far as the kids go, I'm having a wonderful year. I have a phenemonal group of kids this year-- not a single kid who gets under my skin. (A couple who are struggling academically, but that's a different matter.)

I always love going back to school after President's week. That one week makes such a difference in the amount of light. Just watch-- by next week, your drive in to work will be brighter and brigher (well, at least when it's not snowing.) The days get noticeably longer and spring is around the corner.

I'm up to interesting parts of the syllabi, so I have no issues on that account.

As to getting up: I'm a mornng person, so it's never a problem. Evenings can be a different matter.

15. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Feb 24, 2011

We have 2 more weeks until our spring break! Jan. and Feb are the only 2 months with NO breaks (well, teacher inservice, but those are only log weekends for the kids). By this time in Feb, the kids are all a bit stir crazy.
    I was in an ECDD class today, and the para asked if it was a full moon. I told her it was last week. Her response: "Well, these kids are developmentally delayed. It's just catching up with them, now!" We had to laugh; It was Crazy Town in that room today!!

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 24, 2011

I must have the "I miss my students" vibe on me because I'm suddenly having little kids I don't know here just come up next to me. One put her head on my shoulder in a restaurant. A few have looked at me and sat by me (one with barely an inch between us). Others smile and come up to me and just stand there. They don't say much unless I talk but it is interesting. This is both locals and military kids.

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2011

We get our spring break the earliest ever in March. Like the 21st
    Its usually the first week in April and has been the 2nd week then.
    I dont need a break but I have gone twice(mental health day) in the last two months a day to fish with my dad and friend. Both times it was just a boat ride and no fishing. Not gonna do that again. In the next 6 weeks I have 3 field days to sponsor and run. One for each school and then the county field day. Its mucho organizing, setting up and ribbon writing. But it has always been a big success. I have many new teachers helping this year so it should be interesting. Pity them as they do not know what faces them. :)

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 25, 2011

The 2 wks off for Christmas, 1 wk off for Easter/spring & of course summer are things I really look forward to! I know, it sounds bad.

19. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Feb 25, 2011

We don't have spring break until the very tail end of April (to align with Easter). We also have no days without kids or off between now and then because of having to make up for snow, etc.

When we get back from that break though, we will have 6 short weeks of school left and then it's summer!

At the end of the 2011-2012 school year though (so after next school year), I think I'm going to join the National Guard. At that point I'll have the magic number of 5 years of experience and a continuing contract, so if I leave my position to train and stuff, by law I'll have to be given an equivalent position back when I return.

Lord knows by then, the change of scenery and extra adventure will be good for me, and a nice "break!" :haha:

20. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 25, 2011

As others have said, it does get to be at tough time of year and I honestly think that weather plays a huge factor. I am just shocked for those that have late Spring Breaks --the end of April.....goodness! That is such a long time to go without any breaks. That's jus t so hard when one works with kids.

21. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Feb 25, 2011

I too am feeling like this...I keep trying hands-on activities to keep my kids involved, reviewing procedures and routines when need be, trying to get enough sleep so I'm not grouchy at my kids every day, and trying new things to get their attention...I'm going to meet with another K teacher I know this week to get some ideas from her (only K teacher in building, so collaboration is pretty much impossible), so hopefully that will give me a fresh perspective...

22. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2011

"Major" Texas fix.......

I just spent the past two weeks on the road. Played in the mountains of southern New Mexico. (There are still real cowboys down there)..:p

Stayed on a ranch in the Texas hill country.... did some horse back riding and paddled a canoe on the Guadeloupe River (awesome). Had great Mexican food, Texas BBQ, and fantastic margaritas. :thumb:

Visited the Alamo in San Antonio and the San Jacinto monument and battle field where Texas (led by Gen. Sam Houston) won it's independence from Mexico. Drifted down to Galveston Island and visited the beach house I used to have for weekend retreats a decade or so ago.... Sat on the beach reflecting about the great days living in Texas.....:)

Now I'm back home in Colorado (I'm still Texan) ...... ready to be a guest teacher a day or so a week..... and waiting for Spring Break.......:p.... Hope everyone enjoys their break.....

Major.....:hugs:

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 25, 2011

I have always felt that February and March were BLAH months in general. The kids start getting squirrelly and disinterested. We often miss days for snow, and they're off their schedules. Testing is looming in the distance. Admin gets cranky. Teachers get cranky. Kids get cranky.

The really funny part is that we always get our intent papers in late February-early March. I think they do that on purpose just because that's a really bad time of year, and they can weed out the ones who really don't want to come back.

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2011

I felt that way last week. But things suddenly seem to be clicking for them. They spend the first half of the year crazy and squirrel-y with hormones; now they're setting down and starting to "get it" - they have to do well to get into 8th grade! That means homework! Pass quizzes and tests! Pay attention when Ms. Chebrutta explains stuff!

I love it when this finally happens (though they took their sweet time this year)! NOW we can get into some meaty stuff :)

'Course, I won't mind when Spring Break finally does show up :whistle:

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 26, 2011

We had this week off (Presidents' Week) and it was much-needed! Everyone (teacher AND students) was starting to get overworked and stressed. This time of year, our administrators start pressuring us about test scores (the CA State Standardized Tests begin in late April/early May), so we're all feeling the tension.

Honestly, though, despite the fact that my morale was a bit low prior to the break, I'm feeling ready to go back and I'm certain that my class is going to ROCK on the state tests!!! :thumb:

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

Yeah, the timing was remarkably good in my school as well.

Now it's 6 weeks till Easter break, and a heartbeat later, it's summer.

27. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Feb 27, 2011

I'm ready to get out. If I had known that the only openings would be in bottom-of-the-barrel schools and that I would get kicked around by the public for their own faults (no matter how much exhaustive effort I've put into it), I would never have built my education around this field.

The few times I've had brushes with classes with honors or advanced placement students, I've gotten a tremendous amount of energy off of them because of their interest. But with bottom-of-the-barrel classes and working in bottom-of-the-barrel schools, they just suck the energy right out of you and never give you anything in return.

28. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

Feb 27, 2011

After this school year, I am so very ready to get out. Just don't know what I would do outside of k-12 teaching when all the 15-20 years of my life have been invested in it.

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2011

I am sorry that some of you are displeased in your teaching careers. I am in a private school (and in Mexico), and perhaps that's what makes the difference, but the students from K-12 work hard, and have their parent support (which is, in some cases, half the battle). It makes teaching very enjoyable.