is it hard to get a job in TX?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by karrie723, Dec 5, 2005.

1. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005

My family and I are planning to move to the Houston Area (Cypress-Fairbanks, Tomball, Katy, Spring area we are thinking) in June.
    Are teaching jobs hard or easy to come by?
    There is a teacher job fair in early June that I could possibly go to. I was just wondering if you think that it is very important for me to go to this job fair in order to get a teaching job for the 2006-2007 school year.
    About me:
    -I am pregnant, and due in May so I will have a very young newborn at the time of this job fair, in addition to the 3 kids that I already have. (of course I would not actually bring them to the job fair!)
    -I have been a teacher for 10 years (1st, 2nd and 4th grades)

Any ideas, advice or suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks

3. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2005

I actually live in the Cy fair area but teach in Tomball! I know for a fact there is going to be about 4 positions opening at my school alone. And cy fair is growing like CRAZY!!! They hired something like 800 teachers this year so I know they would have something. I personally have never had a hard time finding a job. My school, in tomball is very laid back and its a small district (only 5 el.) I love it. Why are yall moving here? Just wondering---and welcome!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 5, 2005

According to my sister-in-law who lives in Katy, they will be building twenty-eight schools in Katy in the next few years. That kind of growth is just mind boggling. I'm sure you won't have any problem in that area.

5. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Dec 6, 2005

why are we moving??

We currently live in South Florida, and although I LOVE florida we just cant afford to live here right now. We need a larger house with the upcoming birth of my 4th child, and it is impossible to find a 5 bedroom home in South Florida for less than $500,000. My husband grew up in Houston and the housing is very affordable and I like that the area is very diverse, similiar to South Florida.

6. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2005

Well I know you won't have a hard time. Good Luck!

7. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2005

THey are also building houses in the northwest-west houston area LIKE CRAZY! There are new neighborhoods everywhere. My sister in law has a 4 bed and study (could be a 5th) and her house was around 200. Its really nice too!