Is it hard to find a teaching job? Especially in SoCal?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sleepymeko, Apr 9, 2010.

1. sleepymeko

sleepymeko New Member

Apr 9, 2010

I have been thinking of becoming an elementary school teacher, but I was told by a university student that it's really hard to get a teaching job... Is this true? She said that I would have to be a substitute teacher for 2-3 years since it's hard to get hired. Once again, is this true? I asked about teaching on some forums and I get nothing but negative information from former teachers. Some telling me that it's a nightmare dealing with the parents or about how much they hated the job. I want to be a teacher, but I don't want to be jobless :/

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 9, 2010

As discouraging as that sounds, if you hear similar things from all those sources, there usually is truth to it. I'm in southern CA & I wouldn't doubt it. This is a rought time to enter the teaching field. I had no idea about the info regarding how long one usually subs first, but if that's what people are saying, I guess so.

A long-time friend of my mom is a retired 3rd grade teacher who taught in Manhattan Beach. She's been retired about 10 yrs now & even she said she wouldn't advise that anyone be a teacher.

But, if you truly have a PASSION for it...which is something we've talked about lately in another thread on this board, all the negative comments in the world shouldn't stop you. You may have a much harder way to get there, but if you have that passion, then I guess it would have been worth it right?

Good luck!

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 10, 2010

It's pretty pathetic that this sentiment is so prevalent (wouldn't advise others into teaching) among teachers... (I'M SPEAKING TO THE CONDITIONS IN SOCIETY THAT COMPEL TEACHERS TO FEEL THIS WAY; NOT MAKING A PERSONAL STATEMENT ON TEACHERS WHO DO.)

In my opinion, I actually think 2-3 years waiting/subbing may even be optimistic as I expect that things are only going to get worse in our economy. Not to mention that a lot of (new) people subbing are reporting having a hard time even getting subbing assignments.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2010

Right now, it's near impossible in a lot of areas to get a teaching job. Schools are cutting back, teaching jobs are being cut, teachers who have taught for 8 years are being RIF'ed, lots of pink slips have been going out. No schools are hiring, at least around here. I live in the central valley of CA.

I heard South CA is pretty bad, but I have no personal experience.

Many people do have to sub for years before finally getting hired. A lot of that is getting your name out, your reputation, good resume, good interviewing skills, etc. So, just because you sub for 4 years doesn't mean anything unless you've worked hard to make connections and work on your resume stuff.

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 10, 2010

I think it is tough to get a teaching job anywhere. I am glad I have one. I am not sure if I would advise others to go into teaching and I am only in my 5th year.

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 10, 2010

From the other threads on this board, it sounds like Florida will have some jobs open in a couple of years.:unsure:

8. newexperiences

newexperiences Rookie

Apr 12, 2010

At the moment, getting a teaching job in SoCal might be difficult. But you have to think about the future. Teachers will ALWAYS be needed, and a lot of baby boomers are going into retirement. Don't let the job market scare you or the fact that people complain about the job. If teaching is in your heart then do it. You can also try to take opportunities to substitute teach, or even better- be a teacher's aide. There are also many private schools that would hire you too. If you're bound to any one place of course it will be difficult to find the dream job right there at the right time, but believe me, in a few years, people will be desperate to hire teachers. It's already happening in some other countries.

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Apr 12, 2010

Well PA INCREASED the funding for public education. We are hiring a lot of teachers, specifically in our urban districts. I LOVE CA and contemplated moving there, but I couldn't risk it. I would imagine LA needs teachers. Most urban districts have a hard time keeping teachers. I would assume the 23,000 teachers who lost their jobs will be running to LA. LA is challenging, but it would pay the bills. :)

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2010

I agree in theory - I think teaching is a passion and you need to follow your passion BUT don't expect to find a job anytime soon in So. Cal, especially in elementary education which is always tougher. With many districts increasing class size from 20 2 years ago to 24 or 27 that reduces the need even further. Yes, a bunch of people are due to retire in the next 5-10 years BUT many of them lost their retirement nest eggs and are working longer than they expected. Don't expect to work as a teacher's aide (except in special ed) - they were the first to go in most districts. Substituting is good experience but due to layoffs more teachers are available to sub so it is harder to work full time until you develop your reputation and people want you. If you are willing to move, there is more hope.

11. sleepymeko

sleepymeko New Member

Apr 12, 2010

I do have plans on moving. I really don't want to live in Southern California, I really don't like it here. And then I would like to teach in Korea, etc. just for a year or two. The plan is to teach abroad, actually. If I do end up teaching in America, I would like to teach maybe in New England or the southern/eastern states. But I would much rather teach on military bases abroad.

12. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 12, 2010

That's pretty interesting - my wife always likes to say that after getting a credential I should consider finding a job teaching at an international school overseas. Pay would be pretty good, though I am not all that enamored at teaching a bunch of overpriviledged expatriate kids from executives' families....

13. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 12, 2010

If you really want to be a teacher...go for it! The job market is tough but it'll all work out in the end....

14. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 12, 2010

The good news is there should be a lot of teaching positions opening up in Florida! If the Gov. signs the performance pay bill, I would expect a lot of people to quit. I think I would.

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 12, 2010

Yes things are pretty bad in SoCal, and finding a job will be difficult. No matter how long I've been working, or retired would I ever tell someone that I don't recommend becoming a teacher though. The world will always need good teachers. When things get bad, it's more difficult, but if teaching is something you are passionate about... Go for it. if you don't like it here, you should look into going somewhere that has a better shot of getting hired though.

16. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 13, 2010

Yes. It is bad in So Cal. I just got my credential in December of 2008 and I've been subbing. I talk to other subs who have been doing it for several years. My theory is that you have to find where the families are moving TO. So many people are leaving So Cal because of the cost of living...they have to be going someplace...my guess is out toward the desert areas, like Riverside or out toward Vegas or Phoenix. I also hear parts of Texas are really growing and have a lot of opportunity.

That said, I've spoken to teachers who tell me it's just a cycle. It's been like this before and if you can weather it, the jobs will come around again.

17. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 13, 2010

Riverside/other areas of the Inland Empire aren't hiring right now either. I worked last year and was laid off and still haven't been called back, my district did more layoffs this year. :(

So yes, it is very hard to get and keep a teaching job right now in So Cal, but like others have said, don't give up! I would suggest to anyone thinking of becoming a teacher to major in an area other than liberal studies because then you will have more options to use your degree if needed.

18. sleepymeko

sleepymeko New Member

Apr 13, 2010

Someone told me the same thing two weeks ago... The only thing is... I don't know what to major in. I thought that I wanted to be a pharmacist, but I changed my mind. I think that I'll probably end up majoring in anthropology and maybe have a minor in psychology.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2010

Here's the deal. If this is what you want to do, then go for it. The economy is very rocky right now, so anything you are going to try to get into will be tough. Teaching jobs are tough right now to find, but who knows how the job market will be when you enter it.

Also, I teach at an American, Christian school in Mexico. Most schools like this recruit their teachers from the US, and the average teacher teaches for about two years, so there is usually always openings in something. You have to have your credentials, but it can be from any state. If you would be interested in this, you can pm me and I can give you the school link and you can check it out. You do need to be Christian to teach here.

20. Meepers

Meepers Rookie

Apr 14, 2010

I don't know much about Cali, but I know that it's worse over in Maryland, New York, North Carolina... basically the whole country. I just went to a teacher job fair in Baltimore and they had THOUSANDS of people packed in the room. Best part was, all the school systems said they weren't hiring. It was scary :(

21. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 14, 2010

If you don't know much about California, how do you know that its worse in these other states? I can't say one way or another, but i can say for sure that it is bad here.

I work in the IE, and you would be sadly mistaken to think there are job opportunities in this direction.