Is it Flattery or Seniority

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nasirahc83, Jan 5, 2011.

1. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Jan 5, 2011

Hello Everyone,

I am curious about a situation that occured today in school. Today, I received a new student even though that increases my total student count to 15 and leaving the veteran teacher to 14 students. I am not sure if I should feel flatter that the adminstration gave me the extra student out of admiration of my abilities as a teacher or if seniority was the issue and because I am new (1st) I get the extra burden.

What do you all think?:2cents:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2011

Sometimes it is either...but usually it is because one room is a better fit for an extra student or this student in particular.

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jan 5, 2011

In my school it is neither flattery nor seniority.

There are only two per grade level here. If the teachers do not have an even number, the teacher with less gets the first student, and it continues to go back and forth.

I student taught in a larger school that alternated giving out new students to teachers in alphabetical order by teacher name one year and reverse alphabetical order the next.

5. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Jan 5, 2011

Ok. Thanks

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2011

The same is true here. If one class on a grade level is smaller than the other, that class will get the new student. If the classes are the same size, new students are distributed evenly--first one class, then the other. The only exception to this would be if a new student has identified special needs, then placement would depend on where the most support is available.

(I am in awe of your class sizes. We had 2 new students start today--the new class sizes are 31 and 32.)

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

I think schools try to be fair when placing new students.

Oh, and 15 second graders?? Wow! Do you work at a private school? All classes at my school (K through 6) have at least 25 kids up to 35 (and I think some were close to 40!!!)

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 5, 2011

15? must be nice. I have 34.

What the secretaries do at our school is go back and forth between the classes and try to balance it out. I bet if another 2nd grader enrolls they will be in your co workers class.

9. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jan 5, 2011

I have even had some principals go alphabetically by teacher when placing kids.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

I wouldn't think anything of this. I especially wouldn't think of it as an "extra burden". Of course, I do understand that accepting a new student isn't necessarily easy. I had a few new students waiting for me upon returning from break and it takes time to get them up to speed. Anyhow, I would perhaps question the situation had your colleague taught far fewer students, but seeing as you both had fourteen there isn't much of an issue.

11. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jan 5, 2011

My current school is very fair and places students in similar ways as have been mentioned. HOWEVER, at the last school I worked at, there were two teachers at each grade level. The teacher I taught with, who was a nice person outside of work, but was a person who probably should have retired long ago, was a very complainy and vocal teacher. During the years I taught with her I got pretty much every new student. We had small class sizes, never over 20, so I never was upset about it, but I did notice that she never got any new kids, lol.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

It is generally the same in my school. However, if the incoming student already has friends in one room, and the numbers are about even, usually the new student will be put in a room with established friends to help him/her acclimate more easily.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

Ok, well I guess it depends on the school. I would hope that most schools try to be fair. Having said that, last year was my first year at my current school, and when it came time to get another student, that student was placed in my class. I already had more students than the other first-grade teacher, so I figured it was because of seniority. Of course, the reasons were never explained to me, nor did I ever ask. Our class sizes are really small anyway, so it was fine.

14. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jan 5, 2011

This is a bit off-topic, but on the note of class sizes mentioned earlier; I teach third grade and have 15 students. My coworker only has 12!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2011

My smallest class is 32, my largest 42.

In my building, class size wouldn't matter as long as there was a desk in the room.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

I just got my 25th 2nd grader today! :dizzy:

I was the first (in my grade level) to receive a 25th student (the other 2nd grade teachers each have 24 students). The secretaries assured me that I will NOT receive another new student until the rest of the 2nd grade teachers are also at 25 students.

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

Alice, do you have the kids grade papers in class or do you have to grade them all?

At my school the secretaries try to devy out the boys/girls and black/white evenly.

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2011

I have 15 students this year--5th grade public school. :2up:

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2011

I've never asked a kid to grade a paper.

It's part of my job description, I do it.

20. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 8, 2011

We just go back and forth trying to make the six classes on the grade level the same size (except mine gets to be smaller because I have a student in a wheelchair). The one problem that happens is sometimes a student that has moved has not been officially withdrawn, so when the P looks at the lists, it may look like you have more students than you actually do. Like right now I am sitting at 15 while others have 20-22, but that's because the four that moved over break haven't enrolled in their new schools yet (or been dropped after 15 days of absences).

21. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Jan 8, 2011

Wow. 42 students. Yes, I work at a private school!

22. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2011

I don't know except the rest of us are jealous of 15 in second grade - we are going to 29 in k next year and 32 in other grades.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

As most of you know, my kids are in public school.

Kira's 2nd grade class is down to 27; three parents pulled their kids out after last year's nightmare.

24. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2011

If you and your fellow teacher had equal numbers then they admin had to put the kid some place. I would say start worrying about the reasoning if when another child comes in late and that child is also put in your room. It may be your room got the first additional student because of specific children in the other teacher's room. Probably if you get another incoming student the admin will place that one in the other second grade classroom.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

That's what we do...if all classes are even in number, they go alphabetically. Both classes in the OP's situation had 14 and the new kid was given to the OP. The other teacher will get the next new one..

26. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2011

Our principal is supposed to do an intake interview to get some background info on the child. He asks family if kid can start in a day or so. Principal is then to meet with grade level staff for them to decide who gets the new students. We base this decision not only on class size, but case load. You may have less kids, but that doens't mean you have an easier load.
    We are then to let the office know which teacher gets the kid and we call the family to let them know.

That being said, it doesn't always go as planned. We are a public school and if the parents request that the child start immediately, then they have the right to do so. Sometimes, the family won't wait to know where their child will be placed so they have to make an immediate decision. In taht case, they do go by numbers.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

But, if, as the OP stated, the two classes started off even, then there's no real reason why the new child shouldn't be placed with her. One of the classes will have an extra student. Why should either professional be exempt from having a slightly larger class?