Is it ever a good idea to ask for help?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by english9teach, Sep 9, 2006.

1. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

This is my first year. When I started having problems with my sixth period, I asked some of the other teachers, my assistant principal and my principal for some advice. I ended up empty-handed (that's how I found this website) and now my AP acts like he doesn't like me very much. Perhaps he thinks I am a whiner? Is it a good idea to ask for help or should you keep your problems to yourself?

3. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

At my school, the assistant principal tells new people to let her know right away when they need help - she feels it shows willingness to learn from others who have experience and that it shows you know when you need help:)

4. Julie

Julie Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

absolutely ask for help! Don't drive yourself crazy. My advice, ask fellow teachers first THEN you can go to the AP or P with the problems and things you have already tried.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2006

Find one or two teachers in your school who have a solid reputation and ask them. Your dept chair might be a good place to start, but it doesn't necessarily need to be an English teacher. Listen to the kids in the hallways and the cafeteria and study halls, make note of teachers who seem to have well run classes as you walk by during free periods. Speak to them about your difficulties.

6. WrestlingMan

WrestlingMan Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

Mentor

Your school should have provided you a mentor teacher to speak with and trouble shoot. Also, I would hope there would be monthly new teacher meetings. My school did that and it helped me a bit.
    What helped me more was I am on a team of teachers in the middle school and I have them to assist me with troubled students. We discuss them and ways of handling them. Only when a student crosses the line do we involve administration. We we come knocking, they know it must be serious. It is the reputation our team has.
    YOu could ask your ap if he/she would like to sit in on you troubled class or speak to them as a group. I would prefer to deal with them myself but some people ask for this.
    As a first year teacher it will be a bumpy ride. Journal the incidents and journal how you handled them and write down if your methods worked. It took me 4 years to become the teacher I wanted to be.
    I neve had a problem with classroom control but I have butted heads with kids. I would shake them up in that room. I'd rearrange seating and institute firm rules. I never ever fail to follow thru on a threat or rule I made when a kid pushes again. They will never respect me if I am not true to my word. Some teachers find themselves pleading with kids or giving them 7 chances or giving them jobs to do in the room. I am too tired and busy for that.
    One time as a class entered the room I pretended to be talking with a parent on the cell phone. I was saying things like "Thank you for understanding this behavior problem" and other general stuff. Boy was that class quiet as a mouse that day.
    Jake

7. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

haha! I may have to try that!

Unfortunately, my school has no program for first year teachers. It sounds like a wonderful thing, though. I may see if anyone would be interested in creating one for next year. As a teacher in a Freshman Academy, I am part of a team of teachers, but we are not as united as I would like to see. (Since this is the first year of the academy, some of the older teachers want to keep on working as usual and pretty much ignore the academy policies.)

Thankfully, I do have a mentor teacher coming in to help me in my internship year. He has not made an appearance yet, but I am looking forward to his presence. I am very lucky and my mentor is the former principal of the school. :D

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2006

It is always a good idea to ask for help with things you are unsure of. Questions about school procedures, curriculum, policies, etc are things you do need to know about, and that those of us who are not new sometimes forget to share.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2006

Act, nothing! I really DO call parents on my cell phone during class. Last year I had a student who was supposed to stay after school for me because of missing work, and he told me that his mom told him he couldn't stay that day. I knew that his mom hadn't said that. While the kids were working, I called his mom and said, "E says that he's not able to stay after school today, and I was wondering when would be more convenient." She told him that he was staying that day AND the next day as well. He looked like he could have dropped dead on the spot. The teacher next door pulled out his cell phone for one of the boys acting goofy . . . and his mom wanted to talk to him and gave him an earful right there in class.

I always recommend asking. That's the best way to learn things about the school!

10. cactusfive

cactusfive Rookie

Sep 11, 2006

During my final evaluation last year the only negative thing my principal said was that I did not ask for enough help/or ask questions when I was confused. We can't do it all on our own and I don't think (hopefully) many administrations expect you to.

11. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 13, 2006

Last year I was in a place where asking for help didn't seem very welcome and it was often brushed off. Where I am now, everyone is so willing to help, it's overwhelming (in a good way). Ask for help. If they don't like it, it's not your problem.