Is it easier to be honest with others or oneself?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jan 1, 2008

Is it easier to be honest with others or oneself? What is your reasoning on this topic?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2008

That's an interesting question...

For me, it is far easier to be honest with others than with myself. In part, this is because I feel more accountable to others than to myself, and in part because I often value others (and their opinions) more than myself. My resolution this year is going to force me to become brutally honest with myself--it's going to be tough.

4. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jan 1, 2008

To myself, for sure. It's hard to break the people-pleasing habit.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 1, 2008

The way I see it, I can't be honest with other people if I'm not honest with myself. Everything I say to others is filtered through my mind, and therefore if I'm being honest with others I'm obviously honest with myself.

6. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Jan 1, 2008

I tend to agree with dfleming, although I think it depends on which level of honesty you're talking about. Sometimes when it comes to deeper issues, things that lie at the heart of who I am and how and why I do what I do, I need the help of a wise and trusted friend to help me be more honest with myself. There are times that another person can see you and your struggles more clearly than you can yourself. --In which case are you being more honest with the other than yourself? This is an intriguing question, CLZTEACH!

7. Docere

Docere Rookie

Jan 1, 2008

I think it's easier to be honest with others than with yourself. You can run away from other people, but you can never get away from yourself.

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2008

Wow, interesting question. For me it is easier to be honest with myself, it is so hard to honestly tell others you have messed up when they are super critical.

However in certain situations it takes my best friend being super honest with me for me to see things I am doing.

It does depend........

one of those questions that make you go hummmmm

9. rainyday

rainyday Rookie

Jan 9, 2008

For me, I find it easier to be honest with other people. But I live on planet Denial!