Is it crazy to drive 1.5 hours to work each way?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoreline02, Jun 30, 2015.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jun 30, 2015

I'm really hoping to finally get a teaching contract but is 1.5hours commute too far?

I just need to save up some money before I get an apartment closer which may take several months.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 30, 2015

I'd say YES. I wouldn't drive more than 45 minutes one way; think about the money you're going to spend on gas.
    Gas money vs rent money..
    Something to think about!

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2015

I would say it is too far. Possibly you can rent a room in a house close to work instead of moving to an apartment.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 30, 2015

When I used to work in NYC, my commute was about an hour and a half - sometimes more. I didn't like it, but I survived. If it's just for a few months until you can afford to move closer, I think it's probably worth it rather than turn down a job.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2015

I forgot to add, it depends on the cost for you to commute 3 hours a day vs your salary. A person making 60K might be able to afford to do so for a short while. A person making 25K (unless living at home with no bills other than the cost of insurance, gas, and car maintenance) would probably not make enough to make it worth the expense.

7. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 30, 2015

I did it last year, plus 200 a month in toll fees. It wasn't that the school was "far", just a lot of time sitting in traffic. When I accepted the job I lived 15 mins away, but moved right before school started. C'est la vie.

If you're desperate for a job, or really love that particular school, it is worth it.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2015

I was going to say yes, that's crazy, but possibly doable if it's only for a few months. Are you living with parents now and saving up? If so, you should be able to save quickly for the start up costs of getting an apartment. Assuming you're paying little or no rent right now, one or two months of getting a salary and being able to save all of it should get you enough for a security deposit and first/last months rent if that's what the landlord is asking for. If you currently live on your own and the area near the school is more expensive or something, I would question how you plan to pay for that long term. A 1.5 hour commute would be very hard for me, but I could do it if were temporary and what I needed to do to be able to get out on my own.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 30, 2015

If it is just short term, then it's doable. Listen to audiobooks so it will double as your down time. :)

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 30, 2015

It kind of depends on where you live, too. I've known people who commute 60-90 minutes a day, but it was all interstate traffic and no big deal.

I once moved 30 miles just to get closer to work because I'd have been commuting by curvy, country roads in winter. My work county rarely closed schools for snow, so I'd have been driving on snowy roads. Not doable. I lived in a not-so-great place, but it wasn't for too long and I got a job closer to home.

11. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 30, 2015

If you plan on moving closer in a few months, then it is definitely manageable.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2015

This. It's going to be a few months of hell driving that distance however.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2015

Let me chime in with the fact that I drive an hour each way currently, but I would drive farther for the right job. If this is a job in preschool and the money is good, I would definitely consider it as possible, especially if you have been looking for a while, if you may be able to work out alternate housing, or if you are driving a car that gets 30 mpg+. The first thing I did when I got my current job was to buy a car that exceeds 30 mpg but doesn't break the bank. I am getting twice the MPG of my old car, so it is paying for itself easily.

Sometimes preschool teachers aren't paid as well if not in the public school system, in which case, I wouldn't even consider it.

14. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jun 30, 2015

Depends.

On where you live, what the job is, etc. I live in the city that every print/online news outlet says to move too because of the COL but we don't have the road capacity for all the transplants.

1 hour is standard for pretty much 80% of the population. What is on a map 15 miles turns into 45 minutes with the amount of texters and just all out gridlock.

I know teachers who pass up tons of schools and districts for one specific school 1.5 hours away because it's where they started and "home" so it depends.

15. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 30, 2015

I also agree that this commute is okay if it won't last long. There are many variables which go into this and posters have already mentioned most such as salary, COL, etc. If you have been looking for a job for a long time, then go for it! Good luck!

By the way, great advice on this topic!

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2015

I would NEVER commute that long.

Well I say that, but when I lived abroad I did have a few months of taking the bus to/from work and that was about 1-1.5 hours. It sucks. But I think riding/waiting for the bus is different than driving the whole way. Anyways, I would never do it [again].

17. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 1, 2015

I commuted 90 miles for a job once, but it was only 2 days a week. In the end, I'm glad I did it, but it pretty much ate my car alive. I couldn't have ever imagined doing it 5 days a week. I would say do whatever it takes to move closer.

18. Teacher Gal

Teacher Gal Rookie

Jul 6, 2015

Re:

It depends on how much you want that particular job! I had a job where I had to drive 45 minutes (w/o traffic) each way and there was a lot of traffic. I loved my job but the commute was a killer and very tiring! Not to mention, I used so much gas. If you are planning on moving in a few months, it might not be so bad but that is a LONG drive. Something else to consider is the traffic. If you get stuck in traffic, how long would it be? Or perhaps this commute wouldn't have too much traffic? Good luck!

19. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 6, 2015

Also think about weather.....bad weather...snow etc if you live in an area that gets bad weather.