Is it bad to quit before the first year is up?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Barbera, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Oct 5, 2011

Just curious. If a job became avilable that I really wanted and I quit my current job at the semester to take the desired job would that look bad?

Please assume that I would give at least 2 weeks notice.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2011

A lot depends on what your contract says. In my district, the first 90 days is hold harmless for employer and employee. If you are trying to get another teaching job, it wouldn't look good. If you are going outside the education field, and you won't be looking for another teaching job, do what you need to do.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2011

I think that in most situations it looks bad to leave a teaching job before the end of the year. There are circumstances where leaving a teaching job mid-year is the best option, though, even if it's not ideal. I'd say that it depends on your individual situation.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2011

If you intend to leave one teaching position for another, it's important to realize that the education world is very, very small.

6. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Oct 5, 2011

It doesn't usually look good to quit mid-year, except in extreme cases. Also, you might can't get out of your contract, so I would check the contract language.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2011

Quick answer: yes, it looks bad.

Medical emergencies and transferred spouses aside, it looks as though you have a tendency to jump to where the grass is greener. It makes administrators wonder how long you'll stick with them.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2011

My district won't hire someone who is under contract elsewhere.

9. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Oct 6, 2011

What about if you're at an "at-will" school such as a charter school? Would that still look bad?

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 6, 2011

Unless you have a medical emergency or a spouse is relocating, it always looks bad to quit once the year has started.

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2011

I agree with everyone else that it is 100% a poor decision to leave a job before the year is up. School districts do not like to see people who do not follow through with their commitment. If you are leaving that school, how can the new schools know you won't leave them if something better comes along?

I was on the hiring committee for my school when I left my last position (my husband got relocated and I left on good terms at the end of the school year) - and anyone who had either a "gap" in teaching service or had left in the middle of the year, was immediately red-flagged and we asked questions in the interview. Answers like, "It really wasn't working out," or "I was hoping to get my own classroom instead of inclusion" etc. etc. - were definitely NOT things we wanted to hear. My supervisor put anyone in the "no" pile who left a job in the middle of the year without good reason. (There was one lady who had a son go into the hospital due to a cancer diagnosis, obviously that's a legit reason to leave a job).

12. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Nov 6, 2011

What do you all think about leaving a private preschool to enter the public school system? I live in NYC and was given a nomination letter which is not easy to come by nowadays. I'm not under contract at my current job, though I admit leaving them would put them in a sticky situation.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 6, 2011

My P will not even consider looking at someone who is currently working at a school mid-year. I don't think he'd look at someone who left mid-year either.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2011

It is a hard situation though when you are trying to move from a private school to a public school. Perhaps all summer long, there were no jobs (especially in this economy) and all of a sudden now there is an opening. I think it's hard, but you have to do what's best for you and your well being.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

I wonder what the op did considering she hasn't been back...subsequent posts involve question regarding credentials expiring If she goes over seas....:confused:

16. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 13, 2011

What does this mean? Isn't an inclusion classroom a clasroom of your own?

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2011

I think it might mean situations where the special ed teacher goes into the regular ed classroom as a co-teacher. At my school we call them "CCs", but I don't know what that stands for.