Is it bad that...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 29, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 29, 2012

...part of me pre-judges a child's ability to follow directions based on their parent's ability to follow the school supply list?

We had open house tonight, and I was going through my students' desks after they left to make sure they brought all of their supplies. It is always interesting to see the supplies that parents send. :lol:

Edit: Because so many people are getting upset, thinking that I am actually judging, please realize that this thread is more of a joke. (Hence the :lol: .) I do not actually sit and judge families based on the school supplies they bring me. Read my response below for more.

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

Like those mini packages of tissue.....really? For 23 kids I'm going to place that little package on the counter? :p

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

I always hope that parents are simply doing what they can.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

DP,
    Nah! Those are the kind of things that makes your day! You think about them and you let out a BIG laugh in the middle of a serious meeting, and your co-workers look at you like you are out of your mind.
    I had one ask me yesterday IF she needed to bring any supplies? I was about to say, "Didn't you read the memo? You added the supply list cost to your tuition payment!" The best part of me simply replied, "No Maaaaaaaam. It is already taken care of. Have a GREAT evening and bye, bye."
    Rebel1

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

I don't think that basic supplies are too difficult to find, and money is typically not an issue for families at my school (one child in my class has F/R lunch). I'm not seriously upset or annoyed or angry with the supplies that parents bring (hence the :lol:). It was a joke at the end of a stressful night. Also, our supply list is incredibly simple and generic (5 folders, 5 notebooks, glue, markers, crayons, pencils, pink erasers, etc.)-nothing out of the ordinary.

Anyway, I send a supply list with directions home at the beginning of August. The directions are very simple (label folders and notebooks, do not label pencils, etc.). I also had the directions and Sharpies available at open house for those who didn't have time in the past month to label. About half of the class had nothing labeled. II also do some shared supplies. As the students walked in the room for open house, I handed out directions for supplies. They had to place about 8 things in very clearly labeled bins on the counter (pencils, glue sticks, dry-erase markers, etc.). Many children had all of these items in their desks still! :dizzy:

So, I'm not just talking about what they buy-that really doesn't bother me-but rather if they followed directions or not...Apple, tree?

8. msufan

msufan Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

I know at least in my state, public schools are not allowed to require students to bring in anything. So anything our parents send is a gift from them to us, and I am grateful for it.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

I definitely wouldn't pre-judge a student based on the supplies that they bring in. You never know what is going on in the child's life or if a sibling grabbed the wrong supplies.

I can definitely tell you that if my husband needed to go supply shopping, my children would turn up with many items that they didn't need and very few that they needed. It's not that they can't follow directions, it's more that my husband is a real space cadet. Thankfully, my daughter (and hopefully my son) haven't inherited this!

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 30, 2012

Sometimes I wonder what planet my students' parents are from. I get college ruled paper - for first graders?! Our supply list is very simple - nothing out of the ordinary - not even dry erase markers. I asks parents to NOT label anything - all supplies are communal. This is because I end up supplying everything for about 1/2 the class - that way, I hand everything out to everyone, and no one feels set apart. Anything that is not on the list, I supply. What kills me is the kids (generally who do not bring anything) who tell me "Mama said I need to bring pencils (crayons, scissors, etc.) home to do my homework." I almost went completely broke one year allowing those things to go home. Now, I just tell them that the supplies in our classroom are for classroom use. Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, and Walmart all have (pencils, crayons, scissors) for very little money. It sounds mean, but I can't afford to supplement their homes in addition to their desks!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

In the past, when I've gone school supply shopping for my daughter, I could never find the manilla or colored construction paper in the size the school supply list stated. This year, I noticed that our local Staples store posted a huge sign on their door that said they HAD the construction paper in the size that schools were asking for! SCORE! :lol:

What I used to struggle with is when parents would bring in supplies that were labeled with their child's name when the supply list stated not to label anything. Makes it hard to have community supplies!

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

You have to love when it's time to pass out dry-erase markers and they're shouting across the room, "ETHAN, I HAVE YOUR MARKER!" :lol:

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

I know exactly what you mean. Exactly! :)

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2012

I guess I do have a finicky item on my list - a 100 page composition book. If I had a dollar for every 70 page spiral bound that came in... I could buy comp books for everyone!

On the other hand, this year I had a mom buy me a CASE each of paper towels, tissues, and copy paper, several packs of dry erase markers, a huge box of pens, and 10 composition books for kids who didn't have one. I sat down and cried when it was delivered.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 30, 2012

How wonderful, chebrutta!!!

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

I had a Mom bring in a bunch of supplies that I could use, but weren't on the supply list. Apparently, they were on another school's supply list, but when she got called for our school, she brought those supplies to me.

17. smalltowngal

Aug 30, 2012

:lol:

Must have felt like Christmas!!

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

Wow, that's great! That reminds me of the mom who bought extra yearbooks last year to hand out to kids who didn't buy one. Awesome.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

College Ruled paper is often mixed in with wide ruled. An easy mistake, at least they took the time to buy it.

I hate community supplies (with the exception of tissues, paper towels and crackers.)...but that is another story.

20. terptoteacher

Aug 30, 2012

I'm not judging.:p Not at all. I appreciate all supplies brought in! But when a box of tissues is stocked in the store next to the little plastic wrapped pocket packets. And one box of tissues cost about the same as a 6 pack of those pocket packs, why wouldnt you get a box? Don't think I'm alone cuz I walked into our staff room to find a pile of them.

There was a mistake on our supply list and our requested donation items were put on the list, so now I have a cupboard full of hand sanitizer!

21. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 30, 2012

Sometimes it is just about what is handy in the pantry or closet. If a parent bought those small packs for travel over the summer and had some left, some may feel that it is tissues and should suffice.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

I've had parents who bought the small packs for the class. If I only get 1 or 2 parents that do that, it's okay. Perfect for field trips.

23. terptoteacher

Aug 30, 2012

Ooo...field trips! Perfect!

24. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

Tell them it's a lesson on sharing! :lol:

25. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

I always get the "my mama said I need a new homework folder." And I say something to the extent of "they are at walmart" or "ok well when she gets you one, bring it to school." :lol:

26. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

How thoughtful. She must have been a teacher in a past life!:p I probably would have cried too, maybe even in front of her if she didn't leave quickly enough. :blush:

27. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

I had that happen before, too! One morning a mom stopped in and said, "I noticed her take-home folder was falling apart. In the beginning of the year, we sent 3 folders. Can she use one of those?" I told her that we are using those folders for other things...Like we just stockpile them or something...??? :p

28. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 31, 2012

I've taped folders before. One of my students brought in a folder yesterday for the 1st time. It was already falling apart!

29. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Sep 1, 2012

I sent home a note on the first day asking for donations of "tissues"

I didn't want to say Kleenex because that is a name brand. I had 20 kids bring in 1 box of tissues in that first week. It was great.

1 family brought in 2 - 12 count packages of toilet paper.

I had to laugh. They though tissues meant toilet paper. I shared with the K teacher. We both plan on using them as paper towels.

30. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

Even though we turn in a short supply list per grade, ours must have gotten mixed up with another grade. While we got most of the things we need, we also got many boxes of zip-lock baggies in two different sizes and tubs of wipes.

31. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

YES!!!! I HATE THE GREEN PEN REQUEST!!!!!! At least one teacher every year wants a blasted GREEN PEN! I can never find them in anything but sets of other colors that costs way more than I can (or am willing) to spend.

32. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2012

Not to hijack, but what's with the green pens?

33. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

Not to bad mouth my peeps, but it's always the English teachers that want them. I guess they use them for editing purposes. I don't get it at all.

34. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2012

I do not teach in a low-income area; our students are able to afford basic school supplies.

I have one girl who came with 2 pencils. She had everything else, including fancy notebooks and folders, etc. Except she only had 2 pencils. She told me that they couldn't find any at the store. Three weeks in, and she still doesn't have any extra pencils...

35. smalltowngal

Sep 2, 2012

I've never heard of having green pens either.

36. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 2, 2012

I try to grade in green or purple and save the red for our students' checking pens...easier for me to find a green or purple pen than to have 28 phone calls about where to get one...:eek:

37. smalltowngal

Sep 2, 2012

tgim~I grade in all different colors, green is one of them. And you're right. It is easier for the teacher to get a green pen than to ask students for one. You can't get just green pens, you have to get a whole package of different colors.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

They do sell them by the box, but they're pretty hard to find.

39. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 2, 2012

I've always seen teachers grade in green, I'm sure that's what they're for. I just use any pen except for black, and sometimes I'll even use a highlighter (blue or green) because it's so easy to see on the page.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

But honestly, if a teacher prefers to grade in green, shouldn't he or she be supplying the pens, not the students????? I've never asked my students to buy me my red pens.

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

Over the last several years it has become very common for teacher supplies to be on the student supply list. Expo markers, Post-Its, and grading pens.

I think the school looks terrible when it's so well known they don't provide the basics for teachers.