Is it appropriate to ask for another grade when accepting a teaching offer?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by melissa lipstein, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Apr 11, 2016

I am a recent grad and have just been offered my first position for pre-k. The interview was for pre-k and kindergarten however I am more interested in teaching k-2. Is appropriate to accept the job and then inquire about being considered for the kindergarten position. How would I write this in an email?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 11, 2016

I would do a year in the position you've been placed in, and then mention towards the end of the year that you'd be interested in changing grades.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2016

I agree with that opinion. I don't think it's appropriate to be hired for one position and then ask for another one.

5. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Apr 11, 2016

I don't know how plentiful teaching jobs are where you are at, but my first position was Pre-K and I took it because I needed a job. It was in a public school system and the pay was equal to a K-2 teacher (private systems can be different.) It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was great experience. If you like it there and you do a good job, I'm sure there will be opportunities to move up in the future.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2016

You are a first year teacher and should be thankful for a job. Take the job they offered--they saw something in you that led to them thinking you were a fit for pre-k.get your foot in the odor, do a great job, then see what possibilities open next year.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 12, 2016

Who knows? You might find that you never want to leave the grade you accept for your first job.

MrsC likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2016

So true. My first contract included grades 7 and 8 math (along with a mishmash of other teaching assignments), grade levels I was not really comfortable with. The principal interviewing me ignored my concerns (thankfully) and I've never looked back. These are now my favourite grades to teach.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 12, 2016

I agree with most of this, but please keep your foot out of the odor. (Or as we say up here: odour)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2016

Crud! Combo fat fingered it and auto correct! :D:p Of course I meant 'door' (or la porte!)

monsieurteacher likes this.
  11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 12, 2016

Either accept the job as is or keep looking. Once you are in the district you can ask to move.

12. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 13, 2016

I'd accept the offer you have. Congrats on getting that offer!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 16, 2016

If another position is offered during the interview, feel free to accept it. Don't apply for one thing and ask for something else though.

14. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Apr 16, 2016

Another vote for accepting the offer you have. I was assigned fifth grade at my current school, and fully intended to ask to switch to a lower grade for next year. I have seriously fallen in love with the students and curriculum though, so I plan on staying with fifth for the foreseeable future. :)

Congrats on the job and good luck!

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 16, 2016

IMO the time to ask for this would have been in the interview. I interviewed at a couple of schools that had multiple openings, and if I was only interested in some of the openings I would say so in my interview. If you've already been offered a job, it's too late. If you had been up front about wanting the K position only in your interview and they really wanted you at their school, they probably would have offered you that position. Presumably they have already offered the K position to someone else. The last time I was interviewing I interviewed at a school that had a K opening and a 5th grade opening. I asked to only be considered for the 5th grade opening. Yes, it limits your chances, but at the time I had no experience with K and knew I wouldn't do a good job in a position like that. I was offered the 5th grade position (ended up taking another offer because I liked the location better, but obviously being upfront in the interview didn't hurt me!)

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 16, 2016

I'd accept the position happily, and casually mention to the P at an appropriate time that you'd be interested in teaching kindergarten if the opportunity presented itself in the future. Alternately, I just wouldn't accept the position. They already know your preferences, so restating them now won't do much other than getting you labeled as needy. Sometime around your first mid year evaluation meeting, just mention in passing that you love your current job, but would be willing to move to K-2 if any openings opened up for the next school year.

Teachling likes this.
  17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2016

monsieur, all I can say is, "Stank you very much."

18. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Apr 21, 2016

Let me add from an admin point of view: We offered a position for next year, and the teacher has accepted and signed a letter of agreement. Since then, she has complained about her possible placement to one of the other admins (we don't specify in the contract what grade, but the teacher was told it would probably be 2nd grade). It has left a bad taste in all of our mouths. Not the best way to start a new position. :(

MrsC likes this.
  19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  20. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 21, 2016

I agree with the sentiment of taking whatever and seeing where it goes. SO many teachers lock into a grade, and become obstinate at the notion of changing.

Change is good.