Is It Almost Like a Fashion Show at Your School?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 17, 2011

Since there are mostly ladies' who are teachers, does it almost feel like it's a fashion show at your school because all the ladies are dressed nicely, maybe don't wear the same thing twice (for a long time), etc.?

Now, I know it's nice to look good, but not go overboard in the workplace & at my district overall, sorry to say, but many teachers are tacky. However, I attend a certain meeting at 1 of my schools where it's several of us & we're all female, but none of us are gen ed teachers. Most of them dress pretty nicely w/ their big/dangly earrings, etc. I dress nicely myself. One lady ( I won't say her position), w/o fail wears these thick fake eyelashes, full face of makeup including very dark smokey eye shadow, heels all the time, etc.

I was just wondering how the teachers & other staff dress/look at your school.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 17, 2011

I'm probably one of the people that dresses the nicest at my school, and I don't think I go overboard. I wear professional clothes every day. I genuinely think skirts and dresses are more comfortable than dress pants, so 3-4 days a week I'm wearing a skirt or dress. I make sure my hair looks nice and I do wear make up. The only heels I wear to school are these black ones that are about an inch high. Otherwise I wear boots or flats. I don't tend to wear a lot of jewelery in any situation, so other than an occasional necklace or pair of earrings I don't wear jewelery to school. As for wearing the same thing twice, I tend to do laundry every two weeks. I figure that's long enough to go without wearing the same outfit, so I don't worry about it otherwise. Most other teachers at my school don't wear make up. Many wear jeans during the week, even though we're technically only supposed to wear them on Friday. Many people just put their hair up into a ponytail every day as well. Those that have been here longer and have a larger collection of school logo t shirts/sweatshirts will often wear those during the week. I only have one school t shirt from our christmas present last year, and I would never think of wearing it with jeans on any day but Friday.

4. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Nov 17, 2011

I teach at a small rural high school; thus, most people dress comfortable yet nice. There is one lady that really goes all out each day. Aside from her, the men wear khakis and polos while the ladies mostly wear skirts or capris with comfortable (looking) shoes.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 17, 2011

Not at all. Teachers at my school look casually professional.

6. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 17, 2011

It seems to be a good mix; some teachers dress really frumpy, and others seem to dress very nicely and professionally.

I try to dress nicely but some days I do just wear my scrubs. Either way, I do my best to look polished and professional.

I do wear make-up every day. Not loud make-up that someone would wear to a club, but I do have a daily routine that is appropriate for my job.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2011

We dress professionally.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2011

Not at all, though it's obvious a couple teachers enjoy fashion...but they are not "over the top" and they mix it up with sweatshirts and jeans.

9. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 17, 2011

I have never understood how women can go to work not wearing makeup. I have to wear it!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2011

If I showed up without makeup, I'd likely be sent home sick!:lol:

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 17, 2011

I really enjoy dressing up so I have a lot of different clothes and almost always more on the dressy side of things compared to other teachers. I don't wear a lot of make up and almost no jewelry except for a simple necklace and a watch. I always wear heels. I'm just more comfortable in wedge heels than almost every other shoe.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2011

My fourth year teaching I was at this one school where there was this first grade teacher who wore "club clothes". I DON'T get how she was able to get away with it. But she would wear SUPER low cut tops, SHORT skirts or dresses, and high heel boots or shoes that were all sorts of crazy colors. This is how she dressed everyday. And the sad thing is she wasn't young. She was probably in her 30s so she should have known better than to dress this way at work.

Other teachers would comment (aka gossip) behind her back.

And of course the kids would comment on how pretty and hot she was. :( Ick

For the most part, teachers I've worked with would dress nicely. Nothing too fancy but not too schlumpy either.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 17, 2011

LOL!

I toss on some mascara on picture day. Other than that I'm make up free every day.

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 17, 2011

Funny you say that because I actually work at a fashion school! It's crazy because the old ladies (60s) try to dress really fashionable and trendy...sometimes it's a bit much!

But at my school it's not just the staff and faculty, it's the students as well! I've never been into fashion much...so I don't really care if I don't 'match up'...because even though most of them dress like that, not all of us do!

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 17, 2011

We're basically in two groups.

Casual: They're in twill pants, "fancy" sneakers, flats, knit shirts, polo shirts, and some casual sweaters. Minimal or no make-up. Minimal jewelry. Buns or ponytails.

Dressy: They're in skirts or dress slacks, blouses, dressy sweaters, jackets, heels, wedges, or boots. Full make-up. More than basic jewelry. Highlights, styled hair.

Men are mostly in khaki pants and polo shirts or slacks and button down shirts.

We don't have very many frumpy teachers. For awhile we had quite a few. They always looked kind of . . . rumpled. We do have a couple who don't seem to know how old they are. One dresses too old. The other dresses too young.

I'm more on the dressy side. I never go out without full make-up. I quit wearing my hair in a pony tail by the time I was 12. I love jewelry. I don't like a lot of it, but I like it to go with my outfit. I don't wear the same things with everything. I love shoes. Heels feel better than flats on me.

I have an outfit picked out for tomorrow, but I'm afraid that it's going to put me over to the "dressing too young" side of the fence. I'll probably change it before in the morning. It's a whole "trendy" outfit. I think I'd do fine with any one of the pieces elsewhere, but all in the same outfit may be too much for my age.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2011

Ms I...I find it amusing that you started this thread. Didn't you say you bought 30 tops this summer and have to store some clothes in bags because you don't ave enough closet space?:lol:

Personally, I'm known as the tall blonde teacher who wears high heels...pretty much every day. When I wear flats, people notice. :D

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 17, 2011

Same here! I definitely wear earrings everyday, a big ring, & watch. A bracelet most of the time, maybe not a necklace all the time.
    My favorite footwear to wear are boots & wedges. Hardly ever flats, I usually have a good heel height of about 2-3 in.

True! I didn't start this thread due to being sick of fashion or people dressing up too much. The reason's just the oppopsite. Just for fun, I wanted to see who else dresses to the nine's!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2011

Outside of an operating room, I'm not quite sure how one looks 'polished and professional' in 'scrubs'.:dizzy:

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2011

I keep two sport coats and a military field jacket in my room.

Each day I change out of my bike clothes (not real "bike clothes" but simply whatever I wear when I ride in) and put on pants and a shirt of some sort and throw on one of the sport coats over it.

Shoes either Doc Martins or converse.

I'm considered the best dressed male teachers at the school.

20. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 17, 2011

Easy. I just put them on :)

Scrubs are actually worn outside of operating rooms- nurses wear them, as do PT's, SLP's, etc.

Oh, and our school nurse wears them as well.

21. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 17, 2011

That's one neat thing about my new job, I'll get to wear scrubs. I hate picking out clothes to wear every morning. I'm no fashionista and clothes just don't excite me. I wear them because it's the law :) I also never ever wear make up (unless I'm in a wedding or something like that). I don't own makeup and just wear nice lip gloss on interviews and special outings.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 17, 2011

What is your job Speechy and Webmistress?

23. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 17, 2011

Speech therapist (also known as speech language pathologist).

Due to my position, I'm allowed to wear either scrubs or professional attire to work. Scrubs is just easier since I also have home health patients. I can easily leave from work and go straight to their homes without having to change.

On days I have meetings I don't wear scrubs, just regular clothing.

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 17, 2011

That makes more sense and I didn't even look at the top of your post where that is clearly written.

25. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 17, 2011

I forget it's there sometimes myself!

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2011

That makes sense!:)

27. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 18, 2011

I am also at a small rural school. Most female teachers wear slacks, dress shoes, and blouses. Most male teachers wear khakis or colored jeans and polo type shirts or button up shirts. I almost always wear dress slacks and high heeled boots (boots keep my feet warmer than dress shoes).
    Friday is blue jean day and things are much more casual with jeans, sweat shirts, etc.

28. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 18, 2011

I'm recently out of the teaching field though I plan to always keep my license current, so I'll still be on the boards. I'm an ophthalmic assistant for an eye doctor.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2011

Today didn't count since I was on retreat.

Yesterday was chilly out. The vast majority of the women wore pants suits, with a few in skirts and sweaters instead. The guys all wear jacket and tie.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2011

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 18, 2011

There are some really cute scrubs out there. Our nurses sometimes wear the ones with holiday themes.

Since my school deals with students with severe disabilties, we normally all wear very comfortable clothing (jeans, sneakers,etc.). It would be unsafe to wear high heels and skirts. Some people do dress nicer than others but some are just totally unprofessional. They wear the tightest jeans and shirts imaginable. I think they are still wearing their college hang out clothes. I wonder what people think when they visit our school and see these "professionals". They are not going against the dress code but they sure are tacky in my opinon.

32. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Nov 18, 2011

I don't consider it like a "fashion show." I think that has kind of a negative connotation to it (at least, in my mind). However, I LOVE dressing up for school in a dress and looking nice. I think it's fun and it makes me feel confident and light-hearted -- and I, personally, feel more comfortable in a dress than in slacks. However, I don't judge other teachers by what they wear! At my school, some people love to dress up, and others are more casual.

33. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2011

Casual professional here.

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 18, 2011

I always wear slacks, shirt, and tie. I think I'm the only guy on campus who dresses up (besides my principal and vice-principal).

The other day, a male co-worker (someone who I barely know...other than saying hello when I occasionally see him in the hallways), said, "Wow...I know you want to be principal someday, but you already dress like you have the job!"

I wasn't really sure if he was half-joking, serious, or completely kidding. Like I said, I don't ever talk to him, so I was surprised that he made that comment.

Whatever, I guess... :rolleyes:

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2011

Sorry I didn't mention about you men & your fashion sense in my OP. Didn't mean to leave you out. :) The type of store w/ mens's fashion that I love are Express (I love all those colorful, collared shirts), Nordstrom, & Macy's.

Today for example was a Friday & pretty cold all day. Most of the female teachers wore jeans, a top, & nice jacket, maybe even a scarf. I like scarves...either chenille ones or chunky knit ones. I've had this grey chenille scarf forever that I think was in the mens' dept, but no one would know it's a guy's.

Interesting work! Are you happier now that you're out of the teaching field?

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2011

Take it as a compliment.

He's noticed.

The kids have noticed.

Parents have noticed.

Administration has noticed.

37. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 19, 2011

Stacy London and Clinton Kelly (hosts of "What Not to Wear") always say to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. It sounds like you are right on track!

I try to dress professionally. I enjoy skirts and dresses, and will wear them all year round (and it gets pretty cold here!). I do wear dress pants and sweaters, too.

Occasionally I will wear jeans and a nice sweater to school, but I am trying to do that less. I save that for if I am going to do a messy art activity or if my class is going ice skating.

38. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 19, 2011

Yes, though I know I will have new challenges & adjustments to face, I still breathe a huge sigh of relief, indeed.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2011

I see webmistress!

40. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 19, 2011

I buy all my work clothes from Express! :D

41. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2011

Not really. Men have to wear ties; women usually wear dress slacks and nice tops with cardigans. We had a couple of issues with teachers not following the professional dress code this year, but that seems to be straightened out.