Is it a good idea to...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachingTy2010, Jun 8, 2010.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

Just wondering if you think it would be a good idea to leave one of my "brochures" in the mailbox of the principal of each school I substitute teach in?

3. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

Have you met any of the principals? I would definitely introduce yourself to the principals. Maybe ask if they would like your resume/brochure in person. It will be much more personal if you talk to the principal in person, opposed to leaving something in the mailbox. I usually try to get to school early, this can be a great time to meet the principal.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2010

I wouldn't leave it in their box. I would take time to introduce yourself and hand it to them.

5. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

It depends on the school though. My old P really didn't enjoy being interrupted even for staff and behavior issues.

6. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

I wouldn't interrupt the principal, but I would still meet them in person if possible. :) I've subbed at over 10 schools and I at least met the vice principal (if the principal was out) at each school.

This has paid off a bit. I had a a principal sit-in for a few of my classes, while I was subbing. I know that if there are openings (fingers-crossed) at two or three of the schools I am a top-runner.

7. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 8, 2010

When I was subbing, I just stopped by the principal's office while my kids were at lunch or specials. This seemed to work out better than bugging them at the end of the day. If they weren't available, I put my resume in their mailbox but I attached a personal note that just said, "I greatly enjoyed subbing at your school today and would love to speak with you further about becoming a permanent staff member". Most principals, however, were very receptive to talking to me in person.