Is high school math impossible for ...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by GTB4GT, Feb 2, 2016.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 10, 2016

Feel free to believe what you want. All the rest of us do.;)

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2016

Are you arguing that low-income parents have bad parenting skills?

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 11, 2016

Ms.Holyoke, The narrative about "lack of awareness about racism" is offensive. It is an interesting argument. It is difficult to defend which is why many different groups with an agenda use this route as an argument instead of proving that it really is racism that is causing the problem. It eliminates the need to provide actual proof when you say to someone "it is there but you are too dumb or ignorant to see it".

I've seen a brand new school in a high poverty area of my district utterly destroyed in two years. I've seen brand new housing projects in shambles in less time. That is not to say that everyone in that school/housing project is black or everyone in that school/housing project is tearing things apart, but when quality is provided and it is destroyed then the destroyed property is looked upon as an example of inequity, that is completely unfair.

Many things pointed out as racial inequity is not. A lot of times it is about "content of character" rather than the "color of your skin". If you tip the scales with people who are lacking in the former, regardless of race, you will end up with what you see in many areas that are performing poorly.

I'm not saying there aren't some problems remaining with race, but to pretend that the inequality you see is now because of current race relations is wrong.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 11, 2016

That question, along with some others touched upon, should be the topic of a different thread. My main question of interest as it pertains to my field of interest was originally stated in the very first post in this thread. Which was/is "Is high school mathematics beyond the capabilities of some of our students who do not have diagnosed learning disorders or other known mental or psychological conditions?" Perhaps you (or others) are aware of some research in this area?

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2016

According to you, what are the "problems remaining with race"?

6. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 11, 2016

Ms. Holyoke, this issue (race) is one for which you obviously have a great deal of passion. That is wonderful. However, may I kindly and sincerely suggest that you take this issue to another thread. Start a new topic if you like, I am interested in the original topic as I have stated previously. Two completely different topics (imo).

Kindest regards and I look forward to reading and participating in your posts on the topic(s) which are of keen interest to you.I remain keenly interested in this one.

7. bridgebreaker

bridgebreaker Rookie

Feb 12, 2016

I found that there are a few students involved in gang activity and they will not do much because their "society" doesn't let them. They do a problem or two and then say, "That's enough, I don't want to do any more." The gang culture doesn't allow the kids to "be smart." There's a book about it. Has anyone read Jonteel's book?

8. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 12, 2016

I definitely agree that there is a large subset of kids who WON'T do the work. I see that in my school as I'm sure most other teachers do. I wonder however if that is in some cases masking the issue of they CAN'T (i.e. simply not capable of ) do the work. 2 completely separate root causes of poor performance imo.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2016

This is interesting. I've worked with a number of students involved in gang activity, some more deeply than others. One trend that I have noticed is that the students who are very deep inside their gangs, the kids who are committing serious offenses and who aren't just playing at being someone big and bad, are among the most upstanding, exemplary students at school. They dress well, act appropriately, participate in class, earn good grades, and go out of their way to be helpful. It is part of their cover so that they are never under suspicion and so that they never get in trouble for little things that lead to getting in trouble for big things. Underneath their nice clothes, they are often covered head to toe in gang-related tattoos. It's really shocking to me, even when I've seen it time and time again.

10. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 12, 2016

Interesting observation. That (especially the part re: good grades) implies a certain level of intelligence despite making poor life choices. I see that oftentimes, where energy and effort is applied to inappropriate activities. However, in my school, students involved in criminal or illegal activities would NOT be doing the things you described. In fact, they would be behaving and performing in the exact opposite manner.

11. bridgebreaker

bridgebreaker Rookie

Feb 13, 2016

. However, in my school, students involved in criminal or illegal activities would NOT be doing the things you described. In fact, they would be behaving and performing in the exact opposite manner."

Where are you guys teaching? US? UK? City? Suburbs?
    In urban schools, this includes both
    girls and the guys.
    Are you familiar with term "cutting up?"
    It's not what was in the 60's. In my day, in the 60's, it meant joking or fooling around.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016