Is going for 2nd BA dumb? WGU. State:VA

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by F8Fortuna, Jan 15, 2017.

1. F8Fortuna

F8Fortuna New Member

Jan 15, 2017

Background: I've been working as a tutor at an elementary school. I realized that I love the K-3 range, especially SpEd and ELL. I have a BA in Classics and do not know much about Education. I decided to go back to school. I am choosing WGU, because I have a lot of free time over the next 6 months and I can knock out credits. I am moving to the Richmond, VA area. I am hoping on being a Para next school year as I finish my degree. I have a 11K grant to pay off some of my schooling.

Dilemma: WGU's SpEd Masters is only for certified teachers. My only option is a Post Ba or MAT that is K-8. There is also a B.A SpEd that leads to certification in Elementary K-8 and Sped K-12 in Virginia.

1) Should I go for the MAT? Pros: the MAT looks better on a resume; it is a 2K pay raise in the area I plan on applying. It might take me 2 years. Cons:I heard that elementary jobs are hard to get; I also have to knock out (probably) 15 creds of prerequisites(mostly math and science) before I can go for the MAT or Post Bac.

2)Should I go for BA SpEd? Pros: I will be certified in two subjects; a SpEd endorsement should allow me to get hired quicker, right? Cons: Will it look bad on a resume to have 2 bachelors and not a MAT? It might take me 2.5 years to complete.

Thanks for your help!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    F8Fortuna likes this.
  4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 15, 2017

Where I work it really would not matter a masters or 2 bachelors in the hiring process, imo. Having a Sped certification however, would almost guarantee you a job.

F8Fortuna likes this.
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2017

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 16, 2017

How is the job market in your area (I don't know anything about VA)? Unless it's incredibly tight (to the point where a 2k difference in salary might work against you in hiring), I'd definitely go for the MA. Again, not sure about VA but around here having the MA degree makes a HUGE difference in salary. Not only do you start off at a higher level, but you also get higher raises each year than teachers with just a BA, so over the years it really adds up. I've had my MA for 2.5 years and also got some smaller raises while getting the degree for having a certain number of graduate credits. Over those years I've already made about $15,000 more than I would have with just a BA. I think you'll be kicking yourself in the future if you end up going back for a 3rd degree to get the MA for the salary scale when you could have just gone for the MA now. If you're really willing to teach SPED and you're willing to move, you will find a job, MA or not. I know in some places the market is oversaturated even for SPED (my hometown is one of them, but I was willing to move), but there are other places (like my current location) that have a severe shortage.

F8Fortuna and Pashtun like this.
  7. F8Fortuna

F8Fortuna New Member

Jan 16, 2017

I did contact VA DOE about the alternative route program, but in the educateva program I am qualified only for Secondary History and Latin. I do not want to teach high school history. Plus, its hard to get a job with an history endorsement in VA and the Latin positions are scattered around the state in places I do not want to live.
    The Alt. SPED option requires a candidate to have taken a survey class in SpEd and that they are in the process of getting a degree by their 3rd year teaching. Technically, if I go for the BA Sped now, I would have the survey class in time for next school year and could get hired at a school as a teacher.
    I might look into that. Thanks

8. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jan 16, 2017

The sped provisional is easy to get in va and in the Richmond area there is a sped shortage so get that class done and you will have a teaching job next school year.

F8Fortuna likes this.
  9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 16, 2017

In many states it's the case that the door that seems closed to an individual applicant can be opened by an LEA - local education authority, meaning school or district or the like - with a position that has to be filled. Your background in classics tells me you know how to learn; that would make you a pretty good bet for a district that can offer a one-year emergency position in SpEd or English language development in hopes that you can complete (enough of) the requirements for the real thing by the time the next hiring season comes around.

F8Fortuna likes this.